kinda OT but..."Type path to command interpreter"?

Old March 31st 06, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default kinda OT but..."Type path to command interpreter"?

ahhh I wanna kill myself....hey all...I'm the guy below that built the
system for a surveillance system, with a P4P800-e board, some of you
responded to a problem I had.

Now I have another...lol....I did a system restore in winME to a few days
ago from today (the 27th in the restore calender, because I made some
changes I wanted to undo) and rebooted: got stopped cold with a "type path
to command interpreter eg: c:\windows\command.com" error...thats bad
news....system wont boot: its not surveilling the store, no video in case of
robbery or something...a distinct possiblity in my town....lol...system is
just staring at me with a C:\ on its face.

so, I start the troubleshooting...the floppy drive I threw in was original
equipment (I used as much as I could from the old system when I built the
new one for him) and now I find it dont work...figures. I tried to use a
winMe boot floppy to run SYS C: command...cant do that.

There are 2 maxtor drives in the an 80 gig, and a 160 gig. The 160 gig is
the system drive with winME and all the surveillance software (which wont
run on 2K or XP unless upgrading for 50000 bazillion dollars) and stuff on
it. I open the system up out of curiosity, disconnect the slave drive:
system boots up no prob....

Plug slave back in: "type path to command interpreter eg:
c:\windows\command.com"

Repeat several times to confirm...

So, with slave drive disconnected, system works..but surveillance software
wants that drive so it can store the 20 meg .avi files it creates every 30
seconds, and without it, the software wont initialize...I dont quite
understand all that, but its proprietary so vodka kills the urge to really
learn.....

what are my options....take slave out, put in diff machine and reformat?

buy new floppy drive? (neither machine on my home network have floppies, cuz
they have bootable USB CD's)

looking for a different perspective here.....thanks for any assistance....

Old March 31st 06, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , "Trailboss"
wrote:

[...]

Do you check the boot order in the BIOS after every cabling change
for the disks ? These Asus BIOS like to change the boot order
when you reconfigure the hardware, so be sure you are booting
from the drive you really want to use.

Paul
Old March 31st 06, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

If you used the 80 pin cables to connect to the IDE connector on the
motherboard, it does matter which drive is connected to which connector. I
don't have a cable in front of me but their is a color code. The center
connector goes to the secondary (slave) drive with the end connector (the
one close to the center connector) goes to the primary (master) drive.
Obviously, the last end connector goes to IDE #1 connector on the mb.

Note that I have documentation from Asus that has a mistake in the manual
(for an A8N32-SLI mb) that shows the connectors being reversed - their
manual is wrong and maybe so is yours.

Also, check if your drives are set up for master/slave or need to be on
cable select settings. Someone else already mentioned checking the BIOS.

Bob S.

Old March 31st 06, 10:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Yes, I did check this, still get the error! crap..........lol....Thanks for
tip!

Old March 31st 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Trailboss" wrote in message
[...]

Another thing to try:
Disconnect any CD/DVD drives you may have connected to the
secondary IDE port and connect your second hard drive to IDE2
instead (change drive jumpers to make it a master.)
If your system now boots, see if you can access the second hard
drive. If so, try running ME's hard disk checking util (probably in
Accessories - it's a long time since I used ME!) If not, it's possible
that your 2nd hard drive has died.
HTH,
--
Rob

HP 970 problem with the paper path Canfree Printers 2 December 9th 05 03:51 AM
lightning strike - should the components be reused rello General 19 May 5th 04 01:03 AM
lightning strike - should the components be reused rello Homebuilt PC's 18 May 5th 04 01:03 AM
Upgrade Path Cougar General Hardware 1 February 5th 04 12:21 AM
Logitech ImageStudio - Changing save path Stein Arne Storslett Webcams 0 February 4th 04 12:51 PM