BIOS settings for overclocking a 440BX MB with a PIII

Old August 17th 04, 02:00 AM
ed collins

Default BIOS settings for overclocking a 440BX MB with a PIII

Hi, all

I have an Asus P2B MB with a 440BX chipset and would like to install a
PIII-650 using an Abit slotket.

My question is, what BIOS settings would I use?

In particular: SDRAM Configuration
SDRAM CAS Latency
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay
SDRAM RAS Precharge time
SDRAM Dram Idle Timer
SDRAM MA Wait State

Please forgive me in advance, I'm new to overclocking.

Any and all replies would certainly be appreciated.

ed.

Old August 17th 04, 03:05 AM
~misfit~

ed collins wrote:
Hi, all

I have an Asus P2B MB with a 440BX chipset and would like to install a
PIII-650 using an Abit slotket.

My question is, what BIOS settings would I use?

In particular: SDRAM Configuration
SDRAM CAS Latency
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay
SDRAM RAS Precharge time
SDRAM Dram Idle Timer
SDRAM MA Wait State

Please forgive me in advance, I'm new to overclocking.

Any and all replies would certainly be appreciated.

Is there a "By SPD" option? Go with that. Without more detail about your RAM
(as that's what those setting effect) and FSB speed it's the best answer
you're going to get.
--
~misfit~

Old August 17th 04, 04:18 AM
ed collins

The computer has a variety of RAM -- PNY, Kingston, etc -- for a total of
192MB. All modules are SDRAM, PC100, CL=2 and non-ECC.

My brother tried overclocking this computer to a PIII, keeping the FSB at
100Mhz, but he got random freezes and occansionally the computer would not
boot.

It seems to me the solution is the SDRAM configuration. Presently, the
SDRAM Configuration is "By SPD" and the timings are all 2T. A Slot 1 PII
processor at 100Mhz is also presently used.

ed.

Old August 17th 04, 04:57 AM
David Maynard

ed collins wrote:

The computer has a variety of RAM -- PNY, Kingston, etc -- for a total of
192MB. All modules are SDRAM, PC100, CL=2 and non-ECC.

My brother tried overclocking this computer to a PIII, keeping the FSB at
100Mhz, but he got random freezes and occansionally the computer would not
boot.

I gather you mean he plugged a P-III into it and tried to run it at 100MHz
FSB. That's isn't "overclocking" as you're running the P-III at the stock
clock frequency.

The first thing you need to check is the BIOS rev level. Second is the
board rev level. The very early P2Bs have problems coppermine P-IIIs
because of the voltage regulator limitations.

A little research never hurts. Google is your friend. "P2B PIII" hit #8

http://www.overclockers.com/tips296/

It seems to me the solution is the SDRAM configuration. Presently, the
SDRAM Configuration is "By SPD" and the timings are all 2T. A Slot 1 PII
processor at 100Mhz is also presently used.

If you want to see if its the RAM causing the problem then set all the
values to the maximum, which runs the RAM at the slowest, hence 'safest',
speed.

ed.

Old August 17th 04, 11:54 AM
Spajky

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:57:42 -0500, David Maynard
wrote:

If you want to see if its the RAM causing the problem then set all the
values to the maximum, which runs the RAM at the slowest, hence 'safest',
speed.

.... & use first only 1 ram stick at the time to localize the
problematic ram stick (or possible ram slot) by changing also ram slot
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

IDE RAID- Major problem need to save my data MC General 21 December 5th 04 05:38 AM
Understanding BIOS settings on ASUS motherboards Charles General 2 June 13th 04 10:46 PM
BIOS Settings? BobK General 3 June 1st 04 03:02 PM
amd xp 2400+ clock settings bios query oo- General 0 May 2nd 04 01:07 PM
P4P800 Bios Settings & Others. Mirko General 0 April 16th 04 08:17 PM