DRAM IDLE TIMER and other BIOS settings?

Old January 16th 04, 08:22 AM
Noozer

Default DRAM IDLE TIMER and other BIOS settings?

Trying to GOOGLE to find out just what some of the BIOS settings on my Asus
P4C800-E Deluxe mainboard do, but all I'm finding are overclocking stats...

Basically, I'd like to find a site that explains the following in by BIOS:

- DRAM burst length
- DRAM idle timer
- DRAM refresh rate
- ICH Delayed Transaction
- MPS Revision

- How do CAS Latency, RAS Precharge, RAS-CAS delay and Precharge delay
affect each other? Where are gains made with these settings?

....and finally, SMBus 2.0... what is it and should I move the jumpers on the
mainboard to enable it?

Any info or links would be appreciated!

Old January 16th 04, 08:30 AM
Jimmy L

"Noozer" wrote in message
Trying to GOOGLE to find out just what some of the BIOS settings on my

Asus
P4C800-E Deluxe mainboard do, but all I'm finding are overclocking

stats...

Basically, I'd like to find a site that explains the following in by BIOS:

- DRAM burst length
- DRAM idle timer
- DRAM refresh rate
- ICH Delayed Transaction
- MPS Revision

- How do CAS Latency, RAS Precharge, RAS-CAS delay and Precharge delay
affect each other? Where are gains made with these settings?

...and finally, SMBus 2.0... what is it and should I move the jumpers on

the
mainboard to enable it?

There is a thread on the overclockers website that explains some of them:
http://tinyurl.com/2c22m

I have the non deluxe version of the P4C800 and have disabled ICH delayed
transaction, hasnt affected stability or anything so not sure what
difference it makes.
James

Old January 16th 04, 10:25 AM
RobD

Another place to find updated info is the free BIOS Optimization Guide at
http://www.rojakpot.com/.

- Robert -

Old January 16th 04, 08:45 PM
Lee

:
:Basically, I'd like to find a site that explains the following in by BIOS:
:
:- DRAM burst length
:- DRAM idle timer
:- DRAM refresh rate
:- ICH Delayed Transaction

there is a setting in the bios for Delayed Transaction and believe this to
allow PCI devices older than 2.1 to function correctly i don't what ICH
means.
:- MPS Revision
:
:- How do CAS Latency, RAS Precharge, RAS-CAS delay and Precharge delay
:affect each other? Where are gains made with these settings?

I think generally the rule is that with settings that have numeric values in
your memory section the lower the number the greater performance but at the
expense of bigger risk of system instability.
:
:...and finally, SMBus 2.0... what is it and should I move the jumpers on the
:mainboard to enable it?
:
:
:Any info or links would be appreciated!
:

-----
Lee.
Old January 17th 04, 12:00 AM
RobD

ICH is the I/O Controller Hub inside the chipset. It is the interface
between the PCI bus and the cpu. I believe his ICH Delayed Transaction is
the same as PCI Delay Transaction (PCI 2.1 compatibility).

- Robert -

Old January 17th 04, 05:27 PM
Skid

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

That's basically it. All the settings are explained in the bios guides at
www.rojakpot.com and there are some good articles on memory compatability
and "memory holy grail" settings at www.anandtech.com.