Canon Rocks

Old November 16th 07, 06:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tom Crooze[_2_]

Default Canon Rocks

Just wanted to share my experience with Canon Support.

An elderly neighbour bought a MP 510 in August from a local big box store
and declined the extended warranty offered by the store.

She called me on Wed to explain there was a paper jam and as I couldn't go
over to help right then , I suggested she remove the back panel to get the
paper out.

Somehow , during that process , she dislodged 2 small rollers , one of which
fell inside the machine. I went over , managed to get the roller back , but
couldn't get them back in place. I wasn't sure if this sort of situation
would be covered by the Canon warranty , but called anyway.

I had to supply details of the purchase and fax a copy of the receipt to
them , and they said they would send a replacement machine that would arrive
in 2 or 3 days. She was delighted.
She called me today to tell me the replacement machine had arrived. That's
less than 24 hours.

I should also ad that the representative explained that we will have to
remove our current ink tanks and head , and install them in the new machine.
No problem of course, but it seems to make all this whining about 3rd party
inks voiding warranties etc a little pointless.

Old November 20th 07, 06:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Nice story for a change. It is really pleasant to occasionally read
about a OEM acting in a reasonably and above expectations, and
respecting their customers.

Of course, it would be nice if the machines didn't fall apart while
clearing a paper jam either, but that might be asking too much ;-)

Art

Old November 20th 07, 08:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Arthur Entlich wrote:
Nice story for a change. It is really pleasant to occasionally read
about a OEM acting in a reasonably and above expectations, and
respecting their customers.

I also want to take this opportunity to repeat what
awesomely-responsible performance I've received from Oki. We almost
never mention this brand here -- they're not one of the mega-players of
the printer world. But I think that they deserve another look.

They replaced a bad printer with a refurb seven years after I bought it:
seven years. Oki had put an eco-friendly implementation of their
laser-like technology into production before it was clear that the
process was effectively unstable: the drums self-destructed. I had given
up on the machine, as undoubtedly many other people had with the entire
series of what proved to be transitional products: printers, fax
machines, whatever -- that worked on that particular generation of LED
engine.

But years later, upon a chance (and not pleasant) query from me, they
made an offer I couldn't refuse: swap the machines. The replacement has
been perfect, and it's been in use for over three years now. In the
meantime, they straightened out the technology. My only cost was to ship
my old one back to them.

Richard
Old November 21st 07, 10:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I've heard some good things about OKI over the years, and I do recall
your mentioning this before, so it obviously really impressed you, and
so it should have. What's OKIdata up to these days? Do they have any
new printer technology. As I recall they were one of, if not the
manufacturer to introduce LED light sources to replace the laser and
moving mirror unit.

Art

Old November 21st 07, 02:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Contact Canon first.

Or go to the store and get an exchange.

Arthur Entlich wrote: I've heard some good things about OKI over the years, and I do recall your mentioning this before, so it obviously really impressed you, and so it should have.  What's OKIdata up to these days?  Do they have any new printer technology.  As I recall they were one of, if not the manufacturer to introduce LED light sources to replace the laser and moving mirror unit.

Art

Old November 22nd 07, 04:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Richard's experience does not surprise me.
OKI have always seemed to have sense of good customer service.
I can share an example:
Many printer manufacturers do not design the fuser as a consumable, this
decision has significant inpact on the real life of the printer. OKI colour LED
printers do have a consumable fuser. The effect of this is that it is
relatively inexpensive to replace (the user can do it with ease) and if it
fails short of anticipated life OKi will nearly always replace it on a pro rata
basis. The goodwill this generates with customers on the rare occasions that a
fuser fails prematurely is enormous. Most of my customers that have OKI's would
never buy any other sort.
Their earlier monochrome LED printers were not the best but the latest ones are
well engineered and very reliable. Their colour LED printers are superb and
extremely reliable.
If I was to be super critical I would argue that the 3000 and 5000 series
colour LED printers were too noisy, they have improved on that with their
current range, I believe by driving all four of the drum units with one motor
instead of using four.
In some countries OKI's market share is impressive and their print quality and
cost per page is competitive
I'm not an OKI bigot. As always, choosing a printer is often more complicated
than it at first appears and OKI is not always the best choice for a particular
user.
Tony

nVIdia ROCKS MRKI Nvidia Videocards 0 November 14th 05 07:48 PM
This is totally FREE and it ROCKS! Paul King Ati Videocards 0 September 25th 05 12:40 AM
This is totally FREE and it ROCKS! Paul King Matrox Videocards 0 September 25th 05 12:40 AM
My Z22 rocks, does all i need it to :) We Live For The One We Die For The One Printers 2 February 7th 04 10:03 PM
Fx5900 rocks my world edde Nvidia Videocards 0 August 12th 03 02:28 PM