Second processor

Old October 28th 04, 12:52 PM
Federico

Default Second processor

Hello everyone !!

I have an old machine, an HP Vectra 486/33U, which used to be a server (a
long time ago ). Inside there a two processor sockets: the first one is
occupied by an intel 486 processor running at 33 Mhz, i.e. the original
processor, and the other one is empty. I recently found an intel 486 DX
processor running at 66 Mhz, on a computer which was about to be thrown
away.

My question is can I use this processor on the computer: can I use it as a
second processor or do they have to be similar. If it's possible, which one
do I have to put on the main socket and by chance, do you know by chance the
jumper setting ?
On the contrary, if this is impossible, can I still replace the 33Mhz proc
by the 66 Mhz one ???

Thanks for your answers,

Federico

Old October 28th 04, 01:06 PM
Skeleton Man

I have an old machine, an HP Vectra 486/33U, which used to be a server (a
long time ago ). Inside there a two processor sockets: the first one is
occupied by an intel 486 processor running at 33 Mhz, i.e. the original
processor, and the other one is empty. I recently found an intel 486 DX
processor running at 66 Mhz, on a computer which was about to be thrown
away.

My question is can I use this processor on the computer: can I use it as a
second processor or do they have to be similar.

I would think it should work, but all I would suggest is try it.. at worst
the machine won't boot with 2 cpu's in it..
It shouldn't matter which chip goes into which socket.. and for jumper
settings I would first find the model and manufacturer of the board, and
google it.. (that's how I find details for my old hardware)

On the contrary, if this is impossible, can I still replace the 33Mhz proc
by the 66 Mhz one ???

Yes, I got my board with a 33Mhz SX originally, and replaced it with a 66Mhz
DX (setting appropriate jumpers)

Regards,
Chris

Old October 28th 04, 03:38 PM
Mac Cool

Federico:

I have an old machine, an HP Vectra 486/33U, which used to be a
server (a long time ago ). Inside there a two processor sockets:

It was normal for there to be two sockets but one is for a processor and
the 2nd is for a math coprocessor. The DX processors had a math
coprocessor on the chip but the SX processors required a seperate math
coprocessor.

Remove the original processor if you can (they didn't all come with Ziff
sockets back then) and replace it with the 66Mhz. You can upgrade the
original processor with any processor that is a multiple of the original
(i.e. 66, 100, 133).
--
Mac Cool
Old October 28th 04, 03:50 PM
CBFalconer

Federico wrote:

I have an old machine, an HP Vectra 486/33U, which used to be a
server (a long time ago ). Inside there a two processor sockets:
the first one is occupied by an intel 486 processor running at 33
Mhz, i.e. the original processor, and the other one is empty. I
recently found an intel 486 DX processor running at 66 Mhz, on a
computer which was about to be thrown away.

My question is can I use this processor on the computer: can I use
it as a second processor or do they have to be similar. If it's
possible, which one do I have to put on the main socket and by
chance, do you know by chance the jumper setting ?

The chances are about NIL that that second socket is for a
processor. It may be for a floating point math co-processor,
because some 486s came without those instructions.

On the contrary, if this is impossible, can I still replace the
33Mhz proc by the 66 Mhz one ???

Now this might be feasible. It would give you the FP system also.
But no guarantees. Why not just use the 486/66 on its original
motherboard?

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old October 28th 04, 08:33 PM
Wayne Stallwood

Federico wrote:

Hello everyone !!

I have an old machine, an HP Vectra 486/33U, which used to be a server (a
long time ago ). Inside there a two processor sockets: the first one is
occupied by an intel 486 processor running at 33 Mhz, i.e. the original
processor, and the other one is empty. I recently found an intel 486 DX
processor running at 66 Mhz, on a computer which was about to be thrown
away.

My question is can I use this processor on the computer: can I use it as a
second processor or do they have to be similar. If it's possible, which
one do I have to put on the main socket and by chance, do you know by
chance the jumper setting ?
On the contrary, if this is impossible, can I still replace the 33Mhz proc
by the 66 Mhz one ???

As another poster has mentioned that socket is probably for an i487SX this
is a math coprocessor to partner with the 486SX you already have. Do not
under any circumstances plug another 486 into the 487 socket ! You may
damage either the 486, your system or both.

The system board for the 486/33U and the 486/66U is the same so if you can
determine the correct jumper settings then you should be able to use your
66Mhz part in this machine.

Old October 28th 04, 09:05 PM
Clob

"Wayne Stallwood" wrote in message
Federico wrote:

[...]

Not often we see such machines around anymore. Charish the memories of 128k
of ram!

Old October 28th 04, 10:22 PM
MCheu

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:52:16 +0200, "Federico"
wrote:

[...]

Keep in mind that on those some of those old 486 machines, a second
processor socket is often meant to be used as an upgrade path. In
many cases, the first socket contained a 486SX (version without the
math coprocessor), and in that second socket, you were supposed to pop
in a 487. The 486 was marketed as a math coprocessor for a 486, but
in actuality, it was a full 486DX with different pin out than the
normal one. On a few boards, rather than screwing around with the
hard to find 487 chip, they just put in socket for a regular 486DX.
Popping in that second chip disabled the old one, leaving the one in
the second socket to take over. The one in the original socket became
just dead weight.

If you're thinking of going multiprocessing, you might be
disappointed. While it's very possible that I'm wrong, I don't think
multiprocessing came on scene for Intel procs until the Pentium came
along -- at least not in any mass produced sort of way.

MCheu
Old October 29th 04, 12:11 AM
DaveW

You must use IDENTICAL processors for multi-processing. However, you can
use JUST the 66 MHz CPU by itself.

--
DaveW

Processor Upgrade ToaDz General 1 May 23rd 04 10:54 AM
Unsupported Pentium slot processor cards Fishman General 3 March 15th 04 09:47 PM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
PC building - problem num. 1: cannot install processor (help)! J General 2 August 12th 03 11:18 PM
Processor Upgrade? [email protected] General 6 July 13th 03 07:52 AM