P4B266 BIOS failure

Old February 14th 04, 09:19 PM
Jim in Canada

Default P4B266 BIOS failure

I have just flashed the BIOS on my spare (thankfully) P4B266 based computer.

Now when it reboots, it displays the Video Card type, beeps once, then
leaves me with a flashing curser in the top left corner of the monitor, and
stays there mocking me. The hard drive activity light quits after about 5-10
seconds as well. Delete key does not work, nothing works. Will not boot to
floppy or CDROM.

I have tried to reset the BIOS by disconecting the power, removed the
battery and shorted the solder points, but no luck

Is she cooked, or is there still hope? Any help, links to web sites
appreciated.

Thanks.
Jim

Old February 14th 04, 10:54 PM
Creeping Stone

=|[ Jim in Canada's ]|= wrote:

I have just flashed the BIOS on my spare (thankfully) P4B266 based computer.

Now when it reboots, it displays the Video Card type, beeps once, then
leaves me with a flashing curser in the top left corner of the monitor, and
stays there mocking me. The hard drive activity light quits after about 5-10
seconds as well. Delete key does not work, nothing works. Will not boot to
floppy or CDROM.

I have tried to reset the BIOS by disconecting the power, removed the
battery and shorted the solder points, but no luck

Is she cooked, or is there still hope? Any help, links to web sites
appreciated.

Thanks.
Jim

When you flash bios, its settings can revert to defaults, you have to go
back in and update the settings to reflect your particular setup -
processor/mem speeds, graphic card mode, boot device..etc

Have you done that ?
--
' gathering moss,
andy
Old February 14th 04, 11:23 PM
Jim in Canada

"Creeping Stone" wrote in message
=|[ Jim in Canada's ]|= wrote:

[...]

Flashed Bios with Asus's windows version Update Utility (not AFlash) to BIOS
1011.003
It then said to reboot computer.
I rebooted. Saw the Nvidia Ti4200 video card boot screen, but then that's
it. Stops cold...

There seems to be no way to get into the BIOS to make the settings required.
Like I said, it does not get that far into the boot process. Delete does not
work (which used too). It just sits there with a black screen and a flashing
curser in the top left corner of the computer monitor.
All fans are working, and all LEDS are lit on the motherboard.

P4B266 P41.8 processor (not overclocked)
1 gig RAM
80gig WD Hard Drive
PNY Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 MB video card

Old February 15th 04, 02:35 AM
Clock´n Roll

"Jim in Canada" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Hi Jim,
flash it back to 1010 or your old bios then...
where did you read, that the 1011 bios is good for the P4B266???
And you are def. in jumperfree mode, arent you ?

Old February 15th 04, 02:49 AM
Paul

=|[ Jim in Canada's ]|= wrote:

[...]

Maybe your Boot Block is still intact ? The flashing cursor sounds a
bit promising...

The BIOS consists of two parts, the Boot Block and the rest of the chip.
The Boot Block is supposed to contain enough basic services, to boot from
a floppy. One of the downsides, is the Boot Block may not be able to
initialize the screen (I mention this because there is a lot of talk
about the recover process being "blind").

First thing to try:
1) Prepare an MSDOS boot disk. Put a copy of AFLASH on it and the
BIOS file. If you can boot to the dos prompt, use AFLASH to update
the flash chip. This assumes the video is initialized and you can
see and read the prompts on the screen.
2) If the Boot Block is intact, it may not be able to init the video.
To flash the BIOS, the suggestions in groups.google.com are to
prepare an AUTOEXEC.BAT file, with the name of the flash program
and a series of command line switches. While this might work
for some other flasher programs, the claim is that AFLASH doesn't
have the necessary command line switches.

http://www.imidz.sk/rainbow/uniflash.txt

However, I just downloaded aflash221 from the Asus site, and with
a hex editor, I can see some options like:

ASUS ACPI BIOSFLASH MEMORY WRITER V2.21%s
Copyright (C) 1994-2002, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
USAGE: AFLASH [Options] [ROMFile]
/AUTO ROMFile Automated update BIOS without Boot Block and ESCD
/BOOT Update BIOS including Boot Block and ESCD

and so on. So, it may be possible to use the /AUTO switch in a single
line AUTOEXEC.BAT file, to flash the BIOS. Try executing AFLASH on
another computer and try /? as a command line option, to get the
other options printed out. (After all, you can only do so much with
a hex editor :-)
3) If that doesn't work, you could try Uniflash using the same method.
Check the list of supported chipsets and give it a shot anyway,
because at this point, there is probably nothing to lose.
4) If the Boot Block is gone (most likely), it is time to buy another
flash chip from www.badflash.com or similar.

If you do a lot of BIOS flashing on a board, then a BIOS Savior is an
excellent investment. See ioss.com.tw for details. Note that the
motherboard and original flash have to be in working order, in order
to install a BIOS Savior, so you cannot use it to revive a dead board,
unless the vendor of the BIOS Savior flashes the EEPROM on the
Savior before shipping it to you.

If you cannot manage to find a floppy boot disk, you might be able
to make one with some files from bootdisk.com .

BTW: The comment from "Clock n Roll" makes me wonder whether switching
from JumperFree to Jumper Mode or vice versa would make a difference.
Stranger things have happened.

HTH,
Paul
Old February 15th 04, 04:59 AM
Jim in Canada

=|[ Jim in Canada's ]|= wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the tips Paul.

I read also about the "boot block" part of the bios and how it was only able
to show video from an ISA video card. Also another read has mentioned that
my floppy should be hooked up to a multi media controller card. I guess that
means it can either control HD's, CDRoms, and floppy drives.

I do have a fresh boot disk with AFLASH and a fresh download of the P4B266
BIOS. Will there be any activity light on the floppy, because I have left it
in there for over an hour and nothing.

Why I went with the 1011 Beta? I read someplace that it supposedly enables
the board to run 333Mhz DDR's. At least that is what the zip file looks like
(*DDR333)

I am in Jumperfree mode, so maybe I'll look at the manual and see what
settings I will require for my system. Holly cow......ISA video cards,
jumper switches.....next thing I know I'll be digging out the old 386SX out
of the attic

For ~$189 CDN the P4P800 Deluxe-UAY is starting to look good.

Jim

Old February 15th 04, 10:07 AM
Paul

=|[ Jim in Canada's ]|= wrote:

[...]

I figured with the flashing cursor on the screen, that there was some
life left in it. You should have heard some floppy access and the
thing booting, if the boot block was alive.

This blasting of BIOS happens so often, and I've never read any
accounts of post-mortem examination of the BIOS. I'm very curious as
to just what is left inside the flash chip.

Why I went with the 1011 Beta? I read someplace that it supposedly enables
the board to run 333Mhz DDR's. At least that is what the zip file looks like
(*DDR333)

I am in Jumperfree mode, so maybe I'll look at the manual and see what
settings I will require for my system. Holly cow......ISA video cards,
jumper switches.....next thing I know I'll be digging out the old 386SX out
of the attic

For ~$189 CDN the P4P800 Deluxe-UAY is starting to look good.

Jim

Well, the BTX mobos and the next generation of hardware will soon be
here, so if you have an investment in existing hardware, a motherboard
with an AGP 8X slot on it and room for DDR ram might be a good idea.
If you like the idea of buying all your hardware over again, wait a
couple of months for some of the next generation stuff.

For example, here is an article comparing PCI-Express as a replacement
for AGP8X slot on the upcoming motherboards. If you already spent $600
on a video card, then your P4P800 purchase will allow you to use it for
a while yet.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1087&page=3

Paul
Old February 15th 04, 10:34 AM
Clock´n Roll

[...]

Have a look:

Code NameNorthwood
SpecificationIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Family / Model / SteppingF 2 9
Extended Family / Model0 0
Brand ID9
Technology0.13 µ
Supported Instructions SetsMMX, SSE, SSE2
CPU Clock Speed2775.9 MHz
Clock multiplierx 21.0
Front Side Bus Frequency132.2 MHz
Bus Speed528.8 MHz
Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturerASUSTeK Computer INC.
Motherboard modelP4B266, REV 2.xx
BIOS vendorAward Software, Inc.
BIOS revisionASUS P4B266 ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
BIOS release date08/06/2002
AGP Data Transfert Rate4x
AGP Side Band Addressingsupported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size64 MBytes
Memory
DRAM TypeDDR-SDRAM
DRAM Frequency176.3 MHz
Module 0GEIL DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes
Module 1GEIL DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes

I would flash it back to 1010 with AFlash...no, shouldn´t take hours...

Old February 15th 04, 04:05 PM
Jim in Canada

"Clock´n Roll" wrote in message
k...

[...]

Thanks for the "hope" cnr, but there is no way to flash it back. The floppy
and other drives (including hard drive are dead. And I mean inaccessable.
All it boots to is the infamous flashing curser in the top left corner with
no other activity. With a floppy or no floppy. It has been a great board
over the last few years.

My last bit to try is to go to jumpermode and see if that maybe unlocks it.
Which brings me to my next question: What do I set them too?

P4 1.8Ghz Bus speed 400 Mhz
P4B266 motherboard 266Mhz (?)

cpu frequency selection to 120Mhz and the multipler to 15.0 X?

Jumper settings were not one of my strong points. . .

Jim

Old February 15th 04, 04:14 PM
Jim in Canada

"Jim in Canada" wrote in message

[...]

Been reading the P4 1.8 does not go above 100mhz for overclocking very well,
so should I do the multiplyer 18.0X and the cpu frequency at 100 Mhz? This
seems to ring a bell some place...