Is heat a problem for SDD

Old May 24th 16, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Seymore4Head

Default Is heat a problem for SDD

I have one SDD drive and have ordered another one. The first drive
came with a bracket, but the drive I have ordered does not.

I was thinking of ordering a dual bracket. Should I mount them in
separate bays instead?

Old May 24th 16, 09:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Seymore4Head wrote:
I have one SDD drive and have ordered another one. The first drive
came with a bracket, but the drive I have ordered does not.

I was thinking of ordering a dual bracket. Should I mount them in
separate bays instead?

As long as there is any sort of airflow,
they should be fine. Even two of them
sharing a common 3.5" tray (dual 2.5"
to 3.5" adapter).

It's when an SSD is bottled up in a
confined space, you have to ask yourself
whether that's the best choice for them.
Some SSDs might average 3-4 watts while
busy, and completely insulating the drive
means it's going to get hot. Some laptop
bays meet this description, being a
"plastic tomb" and only being suitable
for relatively low-power 5400 RPM drives.

With any luck, the SMART will have a thermal
readout for the drive, and you can look there.
It is relatively cheap to stick a thermal
diode in a SOC (system on a chip) and
keep track of the temperature. They
could put that temperature value in the
SMART table for you. Check your "SSD Toolkit"
for a SMART readout.

You have to keep track of SMART anyway, for
wear life. SSD drives have customer-unfriendly
storage policies at end-of-life. The wear life
gives an estimate of how close to the end they are.
Normally not a problem, unless you unleashed a
destructive write pattern and went away for the
weekend or something. With normal usage, there's
no need to "stare" at the SMART table :-) If
it's five years old, you might want to look at it.

The Flash chips are likely to have a 0C to 70C
rating, but from an Arrhenius reaction rate
theory point of view, keeping the temperature
down is probably a bit better for them. Arrhenius
(an equation they teach in chemistry class) is
used for computing CPU and DRAM reliabilities.

An article here, reviews the actual mechanisms.
At high temperature, they tend to "anneal". But
the actual annealing temperature, is outside
the range of normal operation. If we could find
a way to anneal flash chips while in service,
Flash could last forever. (The same phenomenon
exists for LED lights - light output drops
with age, but baking in a oven can restore
light level. Too bad the plastic lens on the
LED, cannot handle the baking effort.)

http://www.eeweb.com/blog/eli_tiomki...n-ssd-products

"The ability of NAND flash to store and retain
data depends on the temperature which the NAND
flash is subjected to during writing, and between
the time the data is written to the time the data
is read. The higher the temperature that the NAND
flash experiences, the greater the acceleration
of charge de-trapping mechanisms that could lead
to random data bit failures. NAND endurance is also
impacted since endurance has an inverse relationship
to data retention, and the rate of wear-out of NAND
cells is affected by temperature at the time of
programming and erasing NAND."

"Conclusion
NAND is subject to two competing factors relative to
temperature. At high temperature, programming and
erasing a NAND cell is relatively less stressful
to its structure, but data retention of a NAND cell
suffers. At low temperature, data retention of the
NAND cell is enhanced but the relative stress to
the cell structure due to program and erase operations
increases."

HTH,
Paul
Old May 24th 16, 10:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 23 May 2016 22:14:32 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote:

I have one SDD drive and have ordered another one. The first drive
came with a bracket, but the drive I have ordered does not.

I was thinking of ordering a dual bracket. Should I mount them in
separate bays instead?

Except for a laptop, a regular desktop is so much easier. Especially
when it's setup as intended vertically and not laying on its side.
I've the side panel off and might leave drive cables dangling to get
to connections easier;- once done I stuff back the SSD into the drive
cage and don't bother screwing with it. No "hot connections" to my
legacy BIOS, so with a multiple operating system setup, it's sometimes
the easiest way to otherwise hide discs from an OS install and their
Mickey-mouse song-&-dance routine -- in case you know the words but
don't care to sing along ... "why not dick-around with all his other
discs, too."

Other than everything about affordably meaty AMDs being hot with
everything over and at quadcores, including the MBs -- drives should
concern you least.
Old May 24th 16, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Tue, 24 May 2016 05:52:45 -0400, Flasherly wrote:

| On Mon, 23 May 2016 22:14:32 -0400, Seymore4Head
| wrote:
|
| I have one SDD drive and have ordered another one. The first drive
| came with a bracket, but the drive I have ordered does not.
|
| I was thinking of ordering a dual bracket. Should I mount them in
| separate bays instead?
|
| Except for a laptop, a regular desktop is so much easier. Especially
| when it's setup as intended vertically and not laying on its side.
| I've the side panel off and might leave drive cables dangling to get
| to connections easier;- once done I stuff back the SSD into the drive
| cage and don't bother screwing with it. No "hot connections" to my
| legacy BIOS, so with a multiple operating system setup, it's sometimes
| the easiest way to otherwise hide discs from an OS install and their
| Mickey-mouse song-&-dance routine -- in case you know the words but
| don't care to sing along ... "why not dick-around with all his other
| discs, too."
|
| Other than everything about affordably meaty AMDs being hot with
| everything over and at quadcores, including the MBs -- drives should
| concern you least.

My SSDs tend to run a bit cooler than HDDs in the 3 well-ventilated boxes I have both
in (SSDs function as system drives only). Speedfan does an adequate job keeping me
informed of system temps, including drives.

Larc
Old May 24th 16, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 24 May 2016 09:50:58 -0400, Larc
wrote:

My SSDs tend to run a bit cooler than HDDs in the 3 well-ventilated boxes I have both
in (SSDs function as system drives only). Speedfan does an adequate job keeping me
informed of system temps, including drives.

Good ol' Speed Fan. Also been using it since dedicated thermisters to
the CPU/Heatsink assembly became redundant.
Old May 25th 16, 04:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Seymore4Head

wrote:

I have one SDD drive and have ordered another one. The first drive
came with a bracket, but the drive I have ordered does not.

I was thinking of ordering a dual bracket. Should I mount them in
separate bays instead?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone
Old May 25th 16, 03:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 24/05/2016 10:14 AM, Seymore4Head wrote:
I have one SDD drive and have ordered another one. The first drive
came with a bracket, but the drive I have ordered does not.

SDD? SSD?

--
@~@ Remain silent. Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old May 25th 16, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ant

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 24/05/2016 10:14 AM, Seymore4Head wrote:
I have one SDD drive and have ordered another one. The first drive
came with a bracket, but the drive I have ordered does not.

SDD? SSD?

SDD = SciDisplay Doctor? [grin]
--
Quote of the Week: "When an ant gets wings, it loses its head." --Bosnian Proverb
| |o o| |