Q-Flash needs Windows?

Old February 25th 04, 04:58 AM
Peter D.

Default Q-Flash needs Windows?

Hi,

My motherboard is a Gigabyte 8SIMLA with Q-Flash "... a pre-O.S. BIOS
flash utility enables users to update its BIOS within BIOS mode, no
more fooling around any OS."

I want two things.

One, Gigabyte should employ someone who is competent with both
computers and English.

Two, where can I find the BIOS images to install with Q-Flash?
Not the Windows executables that will give you the BIOS images.

Interestingly, the BIOS images are only 260 kB big but the
(less useful) Windows executables are substantially larger at
400 kB.

TIA

Folowups set to a.c.p.m.gigabyte

--
Sig goes here...
Peter D.
Old February 28th 04, 06:20 AM
Peter D.

Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:58:33 +1100, "Peter D."
wrote:

Hi,

My motherboard is a Gigabyte 8SIMLA with Q-Flash "... a pre-O.S. BIOS

Typo, should be 8SIMLH.

flash utility enables users to update its BIOS within BIOS mode, no
more fooling around any OS."

[snip]
Two, where can I find the BIOS images to install with Q-Flash?
Not the Windows executables that will give you the BIOS images.

[snip]

Well your MoBo is not even listed, is this the correct No. 8SIMLA ?

Well spotted Wonga, should be 8SIMLH.

I have used the Bios files for my MoBo and use Q-Flash so what are you
doing Wrong..?

Q-Flash itself works (and is a good idea) it is the lack of support
that is annoying me.

All I need is the 260 kByte bios image on a floppy, but I can not get
the bios image directly from GigaByte, only the 400 kByte Windows
executable. I have downloaded the Windows executable, copied it to
a floppy, visited someone who has Windows installed, run the executable,
copied the bios image to the floppy, and am now ready to use Q-Flash.

The intermediate steps would not have been necessary if GigaByte had
posted the smaller image files on the 'net. Those steps should not
have been necessary because the motherboard was advertised (in bad
English) as being updatable [sp?] without "fooling around any OS".

Now that I have vented steam, I feel a bit better.

Thank you anyway.

--
Sig goes here...
Peter D.