Picking out mainstream AGP video card HELP

Old May 15th 05, 12:41 AM
Joe

Default Picking out mainstream AGP video card HELP

I currently am running:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1 gig (2x512) Mushkin 3400 Level II
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128 meg)

While it is running pretty much everything I want to run I note that with a
few of the newer games I am forced to turn the sliders down a bit in order
to get acceptable frame rates. Time to start thinking about upgrades but
since the gear I already have is about as good as it gets with 32 bits the
only path open is the new 64 bit gear but as I look over the 64bit landscape
everything looks a little TOO new for my taste. Better to wait for the 64bit
OS another generation or two of chipsets before taking the plunge.

While I wait I am stuck with what I have, except for that Radeon 9500 Pro.

I am looking to replace that 9500 with another AGP "mainstream" card costing
no more than $200. When last I bought a video card ATI was on top with the
9500 Pro and NVidia was running a pretty poor second with their mainstream
card. This time around the it seems ATI has stumbled and NVidia is top dog.
This makes the prime candidate in my price range a GForce 6600 GT with
little from ATI close enough to even consider.

Being far from a guru I know better than to buy anything without first
seeking the opinion of the more knowledgable here in the NG. Any advice
would be appreciated.

Old May 15th 05, 01:56 AM
Kokoro

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Joe ordered an army of hamsters
to type:

[...]

How about going to several stores and looking at the best cards offered for
your budget and then making a decision.
Old May 15th 05, 02:16 AM
Ed Light

Yes -- 6600GT for the $200 range. I like my MSI. It's one of the quieter
ones.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old May 15th 05, 03:17 AM
Larry Roberts

On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:41:12 -0400, "Joe"
wrote:

[...]

You can get the 6600GT for under $200.00 these days. However
Newegg has the non-GT/Ultra 6800 AGP for $209.00, and up. I'm not sure
how much better than a 6600GT it is, but if it's extra 4 pipelines can
be unlocked to give it 16 instead of 12, I'd think it would be a great
card for just over $200.00.
Old May 15th 05, 05:25 PM
McGrandpa

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

The 6600GT AGP replacing a 9500 Pro should fix that problem for you. I
*KNOW* that the 6800 and up would, without a doubt at all. You'd be
hard pressed to find a 6800 for $200 though. The 6600GT is said to be
"the most bang for the buck" right now.

I do kinda regret not having a 6600GT card to play with. I can really
only guess how it stacks up. I pulled out 9800 Pro and FX5900 to drop
in 6800-128 and 6800GT. I can tell you there's a big bold difference
now in XP3000+ 1 gig (9800 to 6800) and P4-3.0 2gigs (FX5900 to 6800GT).
But those two 6800 type cards set me back $300 for the 6800 then 2
months later $400 for the GT.

well, me and my son are *both* happy now
McG.

Old May 17th 05, 08:31 PM
Joe

Thanks all for the info.