Quality of Gigabyte Products

Old February 3rd 05, 01:26 PM
Kris Vorwerk

Where are you? I guess you weren't trying to get any sign of life from
UK support!

Heh heh. I live near Toronto, Ontario.

cheers,
Kris

Old February 3rd 05, 02:38 PM
Denis Fitzgibbon

wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 02:03:11 +1100, "Denis Fitzgibbon"
wrote:

I purchased a system in July 2003 , a p4- 3.0 ghz , GA-8KNXP Rev1
Mainboard, GV-R98P128D Graphics Accelerator, 4x 512MB PC 3200 Kingston ram
and various other components. I had previous experience with Gigabyte
products and had no problems but this time I wouldnt have a Gigabyte
product
again.. The motherboard has been returned 3 times for warranty, the first
time
was with a faulty ITE raid controller, the second board lasted 18 months
and
died no post, the third board wouldnt post and am waiting for a
replacement.
The graphics card the fan stopped spinning
after a few months and fried.
Thats my rant

Denis

Get a Life Who made the faulty ITE raid controller, Not Gigabyte, seems
me you are not very bright.

Plus did you take Full anti static precautions..?

Static damage does not show right away..

And Heat can cause the fan to stop.

Gigabyte choose to use an ITE controller on the motherboard so one
would hope they choose a company with good quality control but I like others
have issues with the ITE controller including poor performance and as well
as no performance. There have been several threads devoted to the ITE
controller
over the last year or so.

The system has had 3 case fans since it was assembled. I use an earth strap
when handling
the components and assembling the system.

You wrote "get a life" and "seems to me you are not very bright" you wish to
denigrate me
that's your prerogative in my opinion they do nothing to enhance your
argument but everyone
has a lapse including an Sisyphean intellectual

Denis

Old February 5th 05, 03:29 AM
WillieNillie

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:36:39 +0000, Dodgy
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:59:04 -0500, Kris Vorwerk
waffled on about something:

My first one (8KNXP rev1) died within a week of me getting it. I never
managed to get an OS onto it, it kept crashing. Eventually it stopped

My first 8KNXP (rev 1) died unexpectedly after about 8 months -- it
simply froze over night, so I rebooted it, and it didn't post. (After
some previous posts on this newsgroup, I came to the conclusion that the
Northbridge had fried itself.)

Gigabyte replaced the board, after 2 weeks, with another 8KNXP (rev 1),
which has lasted me, quite stably, for almost a year.

But, as you say, never again.

Kris

Where are you? I guess you weren't trying to get any sign of life from
UK support!

D0d6y.

As for Me, I have been using Gigabyte products for years. As with any
other company, their quality goes in cycles. I had one board last 3
years, then the caps on the board let go. and the 7N400 Pro2 I just
RMA'ed had a problem from the start, with the latest board, when first
installed, the CPU fan would not be powered from the Board, then after
about 5 months; I started to get Hard Drive errors except on the SATA
connections. Next, the board would lock up, and then not POST for
hours, Finally, it would not even spin up the pane or give a power
good signal, though the memory ledwould come on. All of the
components have been moved to an other Pro2 and are working fine. In
this case, I think it was an early REV 2 (NB FAN) I believe that was
a design flaw.

After building for myself and others more then 50 PCs, and having used
over 40 Gigabyte MBs, having 2 fail in their life cycle ( though 3
years is really more then a life cycle normally for me) I do not
believe that is a terrible record. Car manufacturers issue recalls
every day

Old February 5th 05, 02:53 PM
Rob Nicholson

and various other components. I had previous experience with Gigabyte
products and had no problems but this time I wouldnt have a Gigabyte
product

Same here. I would usually choose Gigabyte by preference but now they're
heading for the bottom of the pack.

Rob.

Old February 8th 05, 02:36 AM
Sept1967

Had an Athlon (200FSB) GA-7ZX , never any problems. Then an early P4 (845
chipset) GA-8IDXH. And currently playing with an Athlon64 K8VM800M. Havent
had any problems until this one. Had to return the first one, high pitch
squeel from sound.

There arent too many brands left (they are all going the way of PC
Chips-Matsonic-Asrock)

Im kind of nostalgic when it comes to Gigabyte and Asus. I "grew up" on
Soyo, but they have slid so bad, and now getting out of the biz. Sucks to
see once mighty name brands, fall (Hercules, 3Dfx, Soyo, Adlib, ect)