GA EP45-DS3P

Old November 8th 08, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
RobV[_2_]

Default GA EP45-DS3P

Onsokumaru wrote:
Since when has holding down the power button for 5 seconds cleared
the CMOS?
You use that method with the power button to turn off/reset a locked
machine, but never heard of it doing anything else.

It could have changed, but would be the first I've heard of it.

P.S. I haven't done that in a while, so can't remember if it shuts
down or resets pc.

I believe that with ACPI (at least with my system which is a ACPI
computer), in the power options properties page which you access through
Display PropertiesPowerAdvanced tabs, there is a selection at the
bottom for Power Buttons, which has a selection of actions "When I press
the power button on my computer:"

These a Shut down; Do nothing; Ask me what to do; Standby; Hibernate.
I have mine set to Shut down and the button has to held in for 5 seconds
for the shut down to occur. The other selections are self explanitory,
but I don't know if you have to hold the botton in for 5 seconds as
well, or if they occur immediately, as I've never used them.

"Beemer" wrote in message
Peter,

Yes this would have been my procedure but I found it strange that
GigaByte decided to make this an illuminated button when the power
is on. Also strange that they only mention the standard shorted pin
method in the EP45-DS3P manual.

As it does not appear to be clearing the CMOS power on or off I
decided just to remove the battery for a few minutes.

thanks,

Beemer

"peter" wrote in message
news
CMOS is reset with power off....
peter

"Beemer" wrote in message
Peter,

My last duplicated posts which showed the problems with my cmos
reset button finger 8 were mistakenly replies to you which
should have been addressed to Bill. Sorry for that.

regards,

Beemer

"Beemer" wrote in message
news ....and top posted by me as a courtesy to the person who replied
to my original post. I note that you also top posted in an
earlier post where you sought overclocking help for your windows
home OS I asked the question because pressing the button power-on
or
power-off is not resetting my bios.

Molehill engineer or not, I am not so juvénile as to jump to a
thread to make a disparaging remark. I suggest you go back to
playing your computer games.

Beemer

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Top posted for the benefit of those that don't know any better.

Do you know what the definition of a molehill engineer is?

It's somebody that can make a huge mountain of a problem out of
any molehill problem, or even if there is no problem at all.

So do I take it that you have no preference as to whether power
is first
removed?

Beemer
"peter" wrote in message
here is a detailed procedure
1..make a fist
2..stick out index finger
3...slowly move finger to button till contact is made
4....push button and hold for 5 seconds
5... withdraw finger
BIOS will now be reset to factory settings...and all customized
settings
will be gone.

snip

Old November 9th 08, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Onsokumaru

"RobV" wrote in message ...
Onsokumaru wrote:
[...]

Yes, except there is no need to hold the button down for 5 seconds. You just
press it as you do to turn it on and Windows initiates the shutdown, as if
you went through the start menu and selecetd shutdown.

There is the Soft-Off power button setting in the BIOS also. Power button
is set for instant off or not, otherwise you need to hold the power button
for 5 seconds, regardless of OS etc.

It would be a pretty poor design choice to make this feature clear the CMOS.
(IMHO naturally)
snip

Old November 9th 08, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
RobV[_2_]

Onsokumaru wrote:
"RobV" wrote in message
Onsokumaru wrote:
[...]

You are correct...forgot about that. I always have shut down through
the software and only use the power button when the system is locked up,
in which case, the 5 seconds applies (for all the systems I've ever
had).

To the OP: Never heard of a power button clearing CMOS, no matter what.
It makes no sense. Just because two things happen at, or near the same
time, doesn't mean that one caused the other.

Old November 9th 08, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

Onsokumaru,

If you read from my original post onward you will not find anyone who
mentions pressing the power button to reset cmos. On this motherboard
there is a special illuminated button on the motherboard to reset the cmos.
My question was should I remove power (shutdown the computer) before using
this special button and not that the power-off button shgold be used to
reset the cmos.

regards,

Beemer

"Beemer" wrote in message
Peter,

Yes this would have been my procedure but I found it strange that
GigaByte decided to make this an illuminated button when the power is on.
Also strange that they only mention the standard shorted pin method in
the EP45-DS3P manual.

As it does not appear to be clearing the CMOS power on or off I decided
just to remove the battery for a few minutes.

thanks,

Beemer

"peter" wrote in message
news
CMOS is reset with power off....
peter

Old November 14th 08, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Onsokumaru

I didn't read the original post, I came in around discussion of molehills.

I guess it is a case of using the term "power button".

I asked the question because pressing the button power-on or power-off is
not resetting my bios.

Is there an FAQ at the Gigabyte website, or maybe an email.

Cheers.