CD longevity

Old November 19th 03, 02:09 AM

Default CD longevity

I've googled CD longevity and found a lot of stuff but nothing I would
hang my hat on.

Does anyone here know of recent studies on burned CD longevity? Should
I be asking in another newsgroup?

Thanks

Henry
Old November 19th 03, 07:12 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have examples of misquotes! )

wrote:

I've googled CD longevity and found a lot of stuff but nothing I would
hang my hat on.

Does anyone here know of recent studies on burned CD longevity? Should
I be asking in another newsgroup?

Time To Check your CDRs
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-11-03.htm

See these two threads:

==================================
From: "Den"
Subject: How long does CD-R's last
Date: 9/1/03
Just seen this on the register;

Is their any guidelines on the lifetime of CD-R's branded and unbranded.

==================================
From: (Who Me?)
Subject: Some CDr brands degrade within months article
Date: 9/2/03
Some CDr brands degrade within months article

http://theregister.co.uk/content/54/32593.html
==================================
Old November 19th 03, 08:46 PM
Aki Peltola

"Mike Richter" wrote
When Kodak was making discs, they claimed double the life - 200 years.

200 years, right.
I have few golden Kodak CD-Rs containing RAR-arcives
etc. 5 years ago there weren't any problems, but if I try to
extract files from the archives now, I get CRC-errors here
and there. I have stored the discs in room-temperature
protected from the sun etc. and the surface looks like
100% scratch-free also.

And people seem to have this strange opinion that these very
same golden Kodaks were the best media available that time.
Have they tried to read the contents of the discs lately? ;-)

Old November 19th 03, 08:55 PM
Rick Pali

"Aki Peltola" wrote:

200 years, right.
I have few golden Kodak CD-Rs containing RAR-arcives
etc. 5 years ago there weren't any problems, but if I try to
extract files from the archives now, I get CRC-errors here
and there. I have stored the discs in room-temperature
protected from the sun etc. and the surface looks like
100% scratch-free also.

I've had a similar situation in which more than a few of the Kodak gold CDs
I recorded a few years back are rife with C2 errors. I managed to discover
and copy the data before the errors became unrecoverable. It's just as well
they're not made any more...

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old November 19th 03, 11:52 PM
Mutlley

"Rick Pali" wrote:

"Aki Peltola" wrote:

200 years, right.
I have few golden Kodak CD-Rs containing RAR-arcives
etc. 5 years ago there weren't any problems, but if I try to
extract files from the archives now, I get CRC-errors here
and there. I have stored the discs in room-temperature
protected from the sun etc. and the surface looks like
100% scratch-free also.

I've had a similar situation in which more than a few of the Kodak gold CDs
I recorded a few years back are rife with C2 errors. I managed to discover
and copy the data before the errors became unrecoverable. It's just as well
they're not made any more...

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

I did a check on my Kodak Golds recorded back in 1997 and they are
still good. Can say the same for some of the other brands. Nero has
a test module that will show what errors there are on a disk.
Old November 20th 03, 03:24 AM
Mutlley

"Rick Pali" wrote:

"Aki Peltola" wrote:

200 years, right.
I have few golden Kodak CD-Rs containing RAR-arcives
etc. 5 years ago there weren't any problems, but if I try to
extract files from the archives now, I get CRC-errors here
and there. I have stored the discs in room-temperature
protected from the sun etc. and the surface looks like
100% scratch-free also.

I've had a similar situation in which more than a few of the Kodak gold CDs
I recorded a few years back are rife with C2 errors. I managed to discover
and copy the data before the errors became unrecoverable. It's just as well
they're not made any more...

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

I did a check on my Kodak Golds recorded back in 1997 and they are
still good. Can't say the same for some of the other brands. Nero
has a test module that will show what errors there are on a disk.
Old November 20th 03, 04:04 AM
Dino

Mutlley wrote:

"Rick Pali" wrote:

"Aki Peltola" wrote:

[...]

Verbatim Datalife Plus burned in 1997 with 2x Omniwriter26A(Ricoh).The
ones I have tested are error free.This is the only type media I have
ever used.
Old November 20th 03, 08:06 PM
Mutlley

Dino wrote:

Mutlley wrote:

"Rick Pali" wrote:

"Aki Peltola" wrote:

[...]

I have now changed to Verbatim since the demise of Kodak. Both for
CDR and DVDR