Problems with 260.99?

Old November 10th 10, 08:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Default Problems with 260.99?

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old November 10th 10, 05:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Terry Pinnell wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
(which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get

"NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."

Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?

--
Terry Pinnell, East Grinstead, UK
Old November 10th 10, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
(which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get

"NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."

Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?

Straight after posting that I did the obvious thing and used SEARCH to
find and download 262.99!

But it doesn't install. I get this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/nvidia-fail.jpg

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old November 11th 10, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

On 11/10/2010 10:05 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
Terry wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

262.99 is a 580 specific driver; the driver on the site does not have
INF listings for any other cards. You need to modify it yourself; or
get one from like laptopvideo2go.com, or guru3d, etc.

I can't think of a reason why G92 based cards would have any problem
with the 262 driver (PROVIDED YOU USE A MODIFIED INF!); but I don't
recall any specific fixes in the past several versions that you would
benefit from either. My 9800GTX+ maxed out around 186.18 or so
(practically the same chip as the 8800GT). Everything up until 259.xx
was a mixed batch.

Get a proper INF file, replace the one in the NVIDIA directory where the
driver extracts to (likely C:\NVIDIA\WinXP32\262.99 or some variation),
and give it a go. Try the clean install option to be certain.
Old November 13th 10, 11:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Terry wrote:

Terry wrote:

[...]

Thanks deimos. I'm technically out of my depth with this sort of stuff, so
I'll pass on looking for INF files etc thanks.

But I am thinking of installing an older version. But not as old as 175.19
which I had before upgrading to 260.99 recently. Is there a 'good'
intermediate version anyone can recommend please. Of course, the
occasional 'corruption' I mentioned might be nothing to do with 260.99,
but this would help me test that.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK