9800 gt

Old August 29th 10, 11:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill[_31_]

Default 9800 gt

Ok gurus need a little help

OEM8800GTS dying and would prefer a single slot 9 inch card

Seems the 9800GT would be closest to buy.

What's a good brand/manufacturer? Really not familiar with any of them.

If I have to get dual slot then please also recommend

Budget less than $200

Only game is MS FSX

Thanks
Bill

Old August 30th 10, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles[_2_]

"Bill" wrote in message ...
Ok gurus need a little help

OEM8800GTS dying and would prefer a single slot 9 inch card

Seems the 9800GT would be closest to buy.

What's a good brand/manufacturer? Really not familiar with any of them.

If I have to get dual slot then please also recommend

Budget less than $200

Only game is MS FSX

Thanks
Bill

My 9800 GT uses a single slot. Checking what company made it
is too inconvenient to do now.

I've been considering an upgrade to a GT 240 - somewhat more
performance at about half the power, and still uses a single slot.

You may want to check here to compare some Nvidia cards:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

Note that there are some that, although they plug into a single
slot, are tall enough to block access to the next slot.

Robert Miles

Old August 30th 10, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tazz[_2_]

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

My XFX GT 240 is a double slot profile, so you might want to double
check before you commit to buy.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/g...s/240GT.aspx#2

/Tazz
Old August 31st 10, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

On 8/29/2010 5:34 AM, Bill wrote:
Ok gurus need a little help
OEM8800GTS dying and would prefer a single slot 9 inch card
Seems the 9800GT would be closest to buy.
What's a good brand/manufacturer? Really not familiar with any of them.
If I have to get dual slot then please also recommend
Budget less than $200
Only game is MS FSX
Thanks
Bill

XFX made excellent 9800GT's with late revision boards and custom HSF's
that are both quiet and efficient. A 9800GT is the most straight across
replacement for an 8800GTS, be it the 512 or older 320/640 versions.
The newer style 9800GT boards you see here are far more efficient than
the original 8800GT style PCB's that came out; shorter and less power use.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/g...es/9800GT.aspx

Old August 31st 10, 05:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles[_2_]

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Is that double slot in the sense of actually plugging to two slots,
which I cannot handle, or in the sense of plugging into one slot
but being tall enough to block access to a second slot, which I
may be able to handle depending on which side?

I haven't found a local source for GT 240 cards, so it looks like
I may have to order one online to make sure it will fit.

Robert Miles

Old August 31st 10, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tazz[_2_]

"Robert wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I only plugs into one slot but the heat-sink and fan blocks the slot
next to (under) it. Also, on my card anyway, you don't need any
additional power connectors. Just plug it into the slot and your good to go.

/Tazz
Old August 31st 10, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tazz[_2_]

"Robert wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

My news reader shows my last reply as blank, no text. So I'll re-reply
just in case.

It only plugs into one slot but the heat-sink and fan blocks the slot

--

/Tazz
Old August 31st 10, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
a1pcfixer

Tazz,

Also, on my card anyway, you don't need any
additional power connectors.

I seen somewhere that the cards you referenced require at least a
350 watt p/s.

My news reader shows my last reply as blank, no text.

Both of your replies got posted.

What happens is these usenet newsgroups messages get posted to a
server, but sometimes take a few minutes to get updated. You might have
connects AS the update occurred, and then got only partial msg.

Try updating msg's in this folder, and it should show up.

Old August 31st 10, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill[_17_]

"deimos" deimos@localhost wrote in message
On 8/29/2010 5:34 AM, Bill wrote:
Ok gurus need a little help
OEM8800GTS dying and would prefer a single slot 9 inch card
Seems the 9800GT would be closest to buy.
What's a good brand/manufacturer? Really not familiar with any of them.
If I have to get dual slot then please also recommend
Budget less than $200
Only game is MS FSX
Thanks
Bill

XFX made excellent 9800GT's with late revision boards and custom HSF's
that are both quiet and efficient. A 9800GT is the most straight across
replacement for an 8800GTS, be it the 512 or older 320/640 versions. The
newer style 9800GT boards you see here are far more efficient than the
original 8800GT style PCB's that came out; shorter and less power use.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/g...es/9800GT.aspx

Thanks for that I will go with the XFX9800GT since its one slot

Bill