GTS250 and Motocross Madness 2

Old January 6th 11, 11:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default GTS250 and Motocross Madness 2

This is a game that I enjoyed running for many years, with many add-in
tracks, etc. It worked GREAT on my Dell 610 machine but now on the
Dell 670 with nHancer installed, it works terrible with badly dithered
skies and freeze-ups, etc.

What do I need to set in the GTS250 driver to make this game work?
It's code from around 2001 when Win2k was around.

-Ed

Old January 6th 11, 02:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
David[_21_]

wrote in message ...

This is a game that I enjoyed running for many years, with many add-in
tracks, etc. It worked GREAT on my Dell 610 machine but now on the
Dell 670 with nHancer installed, it works terrible with badly dithered
skies and freeze-ups, etc.

What do I need to set in the GTS250 driver to make this game work?
It's code from around 2001 when Win2k was around.

-Ed

I can play MIdtown Madness 2 with a GTX 460 on Windows 7 64 without nHancer
so maybe thats causing the problems...

Old January 10th 11, 11:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tony Neville[_3_]

wrote in message

This is a game that I enjoyed running for many years, with many add-in
tracks, etc. It worked GREAT on my Dell 610 machine but now on the
Dell 670 with nHancer installed, it works terrible with badly dithered
skies and freeze-ups, etc.

What do I need to set in the GTS250 driver to make this game work?
It's code from around 2001 when Win2k was around.

My PC is running Win 7 64-bit and has a GTX 295. I installed the trial
version of MM2 and the appearance was exactly as you describe. The game
looks crap because for some reason MM2 employees software rendering on PCs
with greater than 2GB of RAM. The fix is to first uninstall the game along
with saved games using MM2's own installer package. Run msconfig, click the
Boot tab, click Advanced Options, tick Maximum Memory, type in 2048. Reboot
with that setting and then reinstall the game. You'll notice that this time
when you go to play the game you'll be asked to select between Software
Rendering and your GTS 250.

Works good, now.

Tony.
--
Christchurch, New Zealand
email: anthony,neville@paradise,net,nz

-Ed

Old January 10th 11, 12:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tony Neville[_3_]

"David" wrote in message
wrote in message ...

This is a game that I enjoyed running for many years, with many add-in
tracks, etc. It worked GREAT on my Dell 610 machine but now on the
Dell 670 with nHancer installed, it works terrible with badly dithered
skies and freeze-ups, etc.

What do I need to set in the GTS250 driver to make this game work?
It's code from around 2001 when Win2k was around.

-Ed

I can play MIdtown Madness 2 with a GTX 460 on Windows 7 64 without
nHancer so maybe thats causing the problems...

Ahh... It is precisely because Windows Live Mail 2010/2011 fails to quote
newsgroup articles being replied to that I am now back to using the 2009
edition. The link to Windows Live Essentials 2009 (offline installer) in
case you're interested. http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe
BTW, all the mail and newsgroups databases manage to survive the swap.

Tony.
-

Old January 16th 11, 03:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 19:32:09 -0600, deimos deimos@localhost brought
the following to our attention:

On 1/6/2011 5:37 AM, wrote:

This is a game that I enjoyed running for many years, with many add-in
tracks, etc. It worked GREAT on my Dell 610 machine but now on the
Dell 670 with nHancer installed, it works terrible with badly dithered
skies and freeze-ups, etc.

What do I need to set in the GTS250 driver to make this game work?
It's code from around 2001 when Win2k was around.

-Ed

NVIDIA really lost compatibility with older games after the GF7 series.
The G80/92 architecture does not include support for 16-bit dithering
(resulting in the ugly skies you see in MM) and lately the drivers for
all GF8 thru GT400 series have had broken DX7/8 support. They've fixed
some DirectX issues in the last two drivers; but overall you can't rely
on anything newer than a 7900GT to run older games correctly.

If you still have the Precision 610; I highly recommend you set it up as
a spare system intended for legacy games. Stick to XP SP2 and lower and
don't use any card newer than a GF7 series or ATI X1900 series for best
compatibility.

That makes sense, however the older PC (the 610) didn't have the CPU
muscle to run MM2 with full sliders. I'm also running FSX (flightsim) on
the newer 670 box which isn't powerful enough to open up FSX scenery
sliders.

Not sure what to do, as the 610 has been packed up and put in storage.
The 670 is right here in the office and will run MM2 but the sky is
rendered with poka-dots. ))

-Ed

Old January 16th 11, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:45:44 +1300, "Tony Neville"
wrote in message

[...]

Suppose I could do that and have a boot menu entry for it? When MM2
starts up now, a menu appears to select `Software Rasterization´ or
`GeForce GTS250.´ Software raster just doesn't work at all, even for
ground textures and GTS250 setting runs ok but has poka-dot skies.

So should I create a boot menu entry to play MM2 with the fixes that you
describe?

-Ed