what was fastest AGP card?

Old September 6th 10, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Orson Cart

Default what was fastest AGP card?

I have been given several workstations that are a few
years old. They are still quite useful (heaps of RAM, RAID SATA,
low-noise power supplies etc.) but have Radeon 9800XT AGP cards.
I have a scientific application in mind for them that requires fast
rendering on large screens (2560x1600).
What would be ATI's best of the AGP line?
Old September 6th 10, 08:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

Even with the fastest AGP cards you are likely not to get the speed you
seem to need. 2560x1600 is a heck of a lot of pixels!

Current ~$200 PCIe 2x16 retail cards with DDR5 memory and 4x core CPUs
have fun with that high a resolution and fast response time!

I suppose it will depend a great deal on the rendering complexity.

On 9/5/2010 10:43 PM, Orson Cart wrote:
I have been given several workstations that are a few
years old. They are still quite useful (heaps of RAM, RAID SATA,
low-noise power supplies etc.) but have Radeon 9800XT AGP cards.
I have a scientific application in mind for them that requires fast
rendering on large screens (2560x1600).
What would be ATI's best of the AGP line?

In 2003 the 9800XT was a top of the line card initially? priced at
almost $500.

To the best of my knowledge
ATI Radeon HD 3450 (AGP) (Supposedly crossfire capable)
ATI Radeon X1650 PRO (AGP 8x)
Old September 6th 10, 12:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang

On 06-Sep-10 10:43, Orson Cart wrote:
I have been given several workstations that are a few
years old. They are still quite useful (heaps of RAM, RAID SATA,
low-noise power supplies etc.) but have Radeon 9800XT AGP cards.
I have a scientific application in mind for them that requires fast
rendering on large screens (2560x1600).
What would be ATI's best of the AGP line?

ATI Radeon 4350 & 4670. Nvidia didn't release anything AGP after 6600GT.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.4
Old September 6th 10, 12:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang

ATI Radeon 4350 & 4670. Nvidia didn't release anything AGP after 6600GT.

Sorry, 4350 is NOT fast, but uses low power.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.4
^ ^ 19:10:01 up 9 days 21:17 1 user load average: 1.35 1.17 1.11
Old September 6th 10, 12:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang

To the best of my knowledge
ATI Radeon™ HD 3450 (AGP) (Supposedly crossfire capable)
ATI Radeon™ X1650 PRO (AGP 8x)

I have seen Radeon 2600 a few months ago in Hong Kong.

Old September 6th 10, 03:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
RicK

Man-wai Chang wrote in
:

ATI Radeon 4350 & 4670. Nvidia didn't release anything AGP after 6600GT.

I have a Nvidia EVGA 7600GT 512MB Superclock AGP in my 8 plus year old Dell
Dimension 8200 box. That was as much AGP bang as you could get as of 2
years ago.

Old September 6th 10, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

Am 06.09.2010 12:09, * Man-wai Chang:

Nvidia didn't release anything AGP after 6600GT.

So the Geforce 7600GS AGP I have on one of my older computers doesn't
exist then? ;-)

The fastest Nvidia AGP card was officially the 7900GS. If I remember
right there also was a 7900GS with a 7900GT GPU from one manufacturer
which was a tad faster than a standard 7900GS.

Benjamin

Old September 7th 10, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ed Light

newegg has the 4670's.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old September 8th 10, 11:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

HD3850 AGP. Much faster than the HD4650. Apparently you can still buy them
new for $210:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

It is very picky with drivers, though. The latest drivers on AMD's web site
likely won't work. You will have the use the drivers from Visiontek:
http://www.visiontek.com/downloads.html

Old September 9th 10, 07:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

On 06.09.2010 03:43, * Orson Cart:
I have been given several workstations that are a few
years old. They are still quite useful (heaps of RAM, RAID SATA,
low-noise power supplies etc.) but have Radeon 9800XT AGP cards.
I have a scientific application in mind for them that requires fast
rendering on large screens (2560x1600).
What would be ATI's best of the AGP line?

If I were you I wouldn't sink any money into a new AGP card any more.
You didn't mention *what* workstations you have but the last
workstations with AGP slot were from 2004 (which is 6+ years) and mostly
used CPUs based on the slow, hot and powerhungry P4 architecture (some
also used 1st generation Opterons). The available new AGP cards are
either very old and slow by todays standards (Nvidia Geforce 7) or are
often troublesome in their driver support (ATI/AMD).

You also didn't mention what application you want to run but if it uses
any form of 3D acceleration or is CPU or I/O intensive then it is highly
unlikely you can run it at 2560x1600 on such old and slow computers.

Benjamin