VGA problems

Old May 4th 10, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
touch

Default VGA problems

I have a ASUS laptop running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit OS.
NVIDA GE Force 9500 M GS Video

I can no longer connect my laptop to my TV.
In the past I just connected the VGA port to the TV useing the
required cable. Error msg from TV. " No sorce found "
Also my head phones jack is not working.

I have checked the Device Mgr and do not see anything flaged.
All my USB ports are working.
Driver Genius says all my drivers are up to date.

I do not have a clue as to where to start or what to check.
ANy and all help would be GREAT.
Tom in TPA
Old May 5th 10, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

On 5/4/2010 12:01 PM, touch wrote:
I have a ASUS laptop running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit OS.
NVIDA GE Force 9500 M GS Video

I can no longer connect my laptop to my TV.
In the past I just connected the VGA port to the TV useing the
required cable. Error msg from TV. " No sorce found "
Also my head phones jack is not working.

I have checked the Device Mgr and do not see anything flaged.
All my USB ports are working.
Driver Genius says all my drivers are up to date.

I do not have a clue as to where to start or what to check.
ANy and all help would be GREAT.
Tom in TPA

My first guess would be board damage of some sort. In general the other
I/O ports are unrelated to your 9500 chip.
Old May 5th 10, 05:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

touch wrote:
I have a ASUS laptop running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit OS.
NVIDA GE Force 9500 M GS Video

I can no longer connect my laptop to my TV.
In the past I just connected the VGA port to the TV useing the
required cable. Error msg from TV. " No sorce found "
Also my head phones jack is not working.

I have checked the Device Mgr and do not see anything flaged.
All my USB ports are working.
Driver Genius says all my drivers are up to date.

I do not have a clue as to where to start or what to check.
ANy and all help would be GREAT.
Tom in TPA

Do you have another VGA monitor you can test with ?

Did the headphone jack stop working at *exactly* the same
time that the TV would not work ? The audio should be coming
from a different chip than the video, and they aren't likely
to have too much in common. The audio might use a "clean" 3.3V
or 5V power source (separate regulator), while the GPU uses
different voltages at possibly higher currents. If the laptop
has retaskable audio jacks, perhaps you could test the headphones,
in the microphone jack. Look in any custom audio control panel,
and see if the headphones are detected by the software. Some
audio chips use impedance sensing, to detect output devices,
and can drive out on the microphone jack, if a 32 ohm headset
is detected.

Nvidia had some problems with their chips, with regard to the
video chip making contact with the motherboard. I've heard of
people fixing them, by "baking" the motherboard to cause the
solder contacts to re-make. I see no reason at this point,
to be resorting to such extremes (your Easy-Bake oven has
poor temperature control, compared to factory repair). Check
your warranty terms first, to see if a warranty repair is possible.
If a regular VGA monitor continues to work, it could be a bad
adapter cable. Or marginal impedance sensing (as the GPU
uses sensing to detect a device is present).

http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?64812

Paul