Athlon 2500 Barton HSF

Old September 30th 03, 05:06 PM
dr_hardwrae

"Morgan" wrote in message
No but let me clarify just what the total specs are for that particular PC
then it might be understandable.

The machine is for my wife and is not overclocked apart from those memory
timings......

XP 2.4 ran at std speed.
2 x 256mb Sticks of PC2100 DDR Crucial memory ran in Dual mode.

That is not unuual for Crucial PC2100 memory. I've run my Crucial PC2100,
CAS 2.5 at 166 MHz FSB with timings of 8,3,3,3.0 (voltage at 2.7v) and at
133 MHz with timing of 7,2,2,2.0 (2.5v).

The only reason as to why those memory timings were set and left that way
was that I had the choice of using either the NF7-S or the A7N8X within my
own system and those timings were left by me whilst testing the board with
my hardware. I decided to use the Abit and so built my Wife's machine

around
the Asus. As I used manual memory timings for my Corsair memory I had
forgotten to change them back for the Crucial. It was only a couple of

days
ago that I noticed just what the timings were after the machine had been
running perfectly well for a few weeks like that, so I have left it as it

is

DDR Voltage is still at 2.6v.

So I do agree that those are fast timings and considering that it is only
2100 DDR running at its maximum rated speed I am a little surprised that

it
has been so stable as other family members and friends run so many games

on
it.

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 30th 03, 07:32 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Morgan" wrote in message
shhh don't tell my Crucial ram then as it is running in the Asus rig at
5.2.2.2

It's mainly a case of luck. Sometimes you get a good stick which overclocks
like anything and sometimes you don't.

I have a pretty good stick of Samsung with a nice active DDR cooler stuck on
it doing quite nicely.

Old September 30th 03, 07:36 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Morgan" wrote
Oh and just to add, maybe someone can clarify if I'm wrong here

The higher the rating for the speed of the memory to slower that the

timings
seem to become, pro rata. So for 3200DDR (400mhz) Corsair LL (low latency)
will have faster timings then their 4000DDR (500mhz). The default timings
for their 3200 XMS LL is 6.2.2.2 and for their 4000 XMS Pro is 8.4.4.3

Hi,
yes that's how it has been up to now, but recently memory manufacturers
(read Corsair, Mushkin) have been releasing *Universal* PC4000 memory. What
that means is that even though it is rated to run @250MHz-FSB with nice
timings, it can *also* run at DDR400 with good timings. I like this idea
and I think it will be a hit with the enthusiast community. . .

Wayne ][

Old October 1st 03, 07:07 AM
callsignviper

"Alan" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

Did you also set your CPU_FSB jumper from 266/333 to
200FSB?

Ummm..........This might be a stupid question but why would you want to set
that jumper at 200 since that is the equivalent of 100 MHz (200 is the DDR
rate AFAIK)?

That jumper on my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe Rev. 1.04 is set at 266/333 with my ram
set in BIOS for 200 (400 DDR). My system is running rock solid with an XP
2500+ clocked at 10x200 (it will go higher but I need to change my HSF
before going further).

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.