GA-7VAXP rev 1.1 noisy northbridge fan, do I really need it?

Old November 27th 05, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default GA-7VAXP rev 1.1 noisy northbridge fan, do I really need it?

The original 40 mm NB fan went out 16 months ago, put in a replacement
one, now it is very noisy. Is there an alternative to the fan, a larger
heat sink or something?
Robert Butler

Old November 27th 05, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Robert Butler wrote:
The original 40 mm NB fan went out 16 months ago, put in a replacement
one, now it is very noisy. Is there an alternative to the fan, a
larger heat sink or something?

I've been using Zalman passive coolers for years on GB motherboards.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...iliate=yah oo

Old November 27th 05, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

This looks like a good solution, but the ad says it can only be used on
northbridges that do not have a built in graphics chipset. How can I
determine if my VIA KT400 chipset qualifies?
Thanks!
Robert

Old November 27th 05, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Robert Butler wrote:
This looks like a good solution, but the ad says it can only be used
on northbridges that do not have a built in graphics chipset. How
can I determine if my VIA KT400 chipset qualifies?

The VIA KT400 is an AGP8x chipset but it doesn't have onboard graphics
processing. I assume you probably have either an AGP or PCI graphics
card, right?

Any of the Zalman heat sinks should work OK in this application.

Old November 28th 05, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Robert Butler wrote:
Yes, I have an AGP video card. Thanks for the help, I'm going to
order the heatsink tonight.

You're welcome. I have one of the Zalman sinks on a GA-8IK1100 and it
installed and fit just fine.