Installing new version 4.5 driver for a Radeon 9600se

Old May 14th 04, 05:16 PM
David Wells

Default Installing new version 4.5 driver for a Radeon 9600se

My drivers are 7.97-031212a-013314c-ATI. Is it necessary to remove
the old driver first or can I just install the latest version. Any
think I need to watch out for

I am running a AMD3200+ in a asus k8v delux board. XP home with SP 1

Thank You

David Wells
Old May 14th 04, 06:05 PM
Tod

I believe it is recommended to uninstall the old drivers before installing
new one.
I did that once, but never again, now my ATI DVD player does not work
Did not have the original ATI software CD when updating drivers, which was
required, for DVD player.
So I say just to install new driver right over the old ones, its what I do
now.

Old May 14th 04, 06:14 PM
Asestar

Opinions are very divided on this matter. Basic rule is, if upgrading driver
in same series (cat4.4 from 4.1, or 3.9 from 3.7) you don't need to
uninstall the old ones.
But when ever downgrading, you better uninstall the existing driver. Same
goes when using Omega over Ati or vice versa.

Old May 14th 04, 06:55 PM
maniac

David Wells wrote:

I am running a AMD3200+ in a asus k8v delux board. XP home with SP 1

You're using Athlon 64 and this ****e GFX card? ... ;O

Instalation Catalyst Drivers is quite simple. Just double click on
wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-01-040421a-015419c.exe file, click OK, next, next, next
and 'Yes' to restart your computer. That's all. ;p

David Wells

--
maniac(at)chello.pl

Old May 14th 04, 08:10 PM
Asestar

Also read the thread "9600pro mystery" a little further down. There might be
some issue of 9600se being locked against overclock in ATI catalyst drivers.