Which inkjet manufacturers printers cause the least hassle when using non-OEM cartridges - UK buyer

Old March 5th 08, 01:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default Which inkjet manufacturers printers cause the least hassle whenusing non-OEM cartridges - UK buyer

Colin Reddish wrote:

"DanG" wrote in message ...

"Colin Reddish"
wrote in message ...

Thanks for the reply. Assuming I obtain the correct compatible cartridge for a current Epson printer will ink monitoring continue as normal and without any other problems. The non-OEM cartridge suppliers in the UK don't appear to distinguish between cartridges other by Model number. I recall seeing information which refers to manufacturing dates affecting cartridges specs? Colin

April 2007. Epson printers made after that use the 2nd revision tanks only. Printers made before that use any tanks. Many online sellers are clueless about this distinction. The tanks come with a re-set chip on them, so your printer sees them as genuine Epson tanks. Your printer's serial number contains a code for the date of manufacture, I've forgotten where I found the codes, but it was one of the on-line sellers that had it.

Thanks for the rapid reply. My relative currently has an Epson R200 which has now died. Could it be assumed that the R240s (which would be a suitable replacement for him) will all have been manufactured after April 2007 so compatible carts specified for that model should be OK?

Now that one is on a collision course to the junk yard
Old March 5th 08, 01:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Can I ask for a description of the death of the R200?

I am not trying to be invasive about the demise of your relative's
dearly departed friend, but he/she may actually not be dead, he/she may
be "pining" (sorry, Monty Python reference)... actually it may be in
suspended animation and require some CPR to return it to health.

Can you describe what happened to the R200?

Art

Colin Reddish wrote:

. ..

Old March 5th 08, 06:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Colin Reddish

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
Can I ask for a description of the death of the R200?

I am not trying to be invasive about the demise of your relative's dearly
departed friend, but he/she may actually not be dead, he/she may be
"pining" (sorry, Monty Python reference)... actually it may be in
suspended animation and require some CPR to return it to health.

Can you describe what happened to the R200?

Art

Thanks for the offer Art.

It's a rather long story. :-)

My relative is actually my 81 year old brother who is 7 years older than I
so it's not only the printer that is due to depart. We are both in the UK
but 200 miles apart so we have to comumicate by phone and email. He has
recently aquired a new PC with Vista Home Premium and I'm still on XP. I'm a
bit more computer savvy than he is so I have to talk him through diagnostics
without any knowledge of what he is seeing on his screen. As neither of us
having much experience of Vista this leads to long phone conversations.

Since starting the thread we have progressed somewhat and it now appears
that despite the prophesy of doom by Measekite the announcement of the death
of the R200 was premature as the printer is itself fit and well and the
problem lies elsewhere. I'll explain:-

With the printer diconnected from the PC it is possible to carry out a
Nozzle Check using the buttons on the printer. Also he has tried the printer
on his old PC which uses ME and it works OK on that. So we have concluded
that it not actually a printer problem but a problem with his Vista equipped
PC. When he first got the new PC a few weeks ago the printer automatically
installed using the Vista drivers (the Epson website advises this method as
they don't offer Vista drivers to download). The printer worked fine for a
few weeks but then suddenly failed to respond to print commands from any of
the programmes he used. We have since established that the print jobs he has
actioned are all stuck in a "print queue". I am now suspecting that the
problem may have occured following an automatically scheduled Vista update
as he also had some other issues around the same time. (had a 4X3 display on
his monitor rather than widescreen). We have attempted to re-install" the
Vista drivers but I'm unsure if that was successful. We located an option to
"delete" or "remove" the printer in Control Panel which I assumed is the
equivalent of "un-install". Certainly after disconnecting the printer and
deleting the jobs in the print queue this option removed the printer icon
from the Control Panel display. He then reconnected the printer and the PC
appeared to install the printer automatically. However, he did not get the
usual "new hardware found - installing drivers" message so I can't be
certain of this. The R200 icon was again visible in Control but as initially
the printer did not respond to a print command and simply placed the job in
the print queue. So we are back to square one. I'm in the process of trying
to learn a bit more about re-installing printer drivers in Vista. I have
seen some references to the need to do more than simply "deleting" the
printer in Control Panel although the reference I found was in connection
with a different printer (HP if I remember correctly). Any help with this
would be appreciated if you consider it appropriate for this group.

In the meantime I have bought a Canon iP4300 from canon_uk1, on eBay for
£30, which I think is a bargain. Canon describe them as "Refurbished" but if
it is like the iP4200 I bought from the same source a year ago they are
brand new and probably being sold of as they are now superceded by the
iP4500. When that arrives hopefully in a day or so then priority will turn
to advising my brother how to install and use that. I'm not sure if the
software that comes with that printer will have Vista drivers and need an
manual install from CD or whether it will install automatically. I notice
than Cannon have a Vista driver for the iP4300 on their website so this will
be the best one to use. Do you agree? All will be clear when the printer
arrives no doubt, unless I get around to downloading the manual before then.
--
Colin Reddish

Old March 5th 08, 07:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_2_]

[...]

Colin - When your brother has jobs in the queue, turns the printer off and
then reboots, do the print jobs print during the reboot? Try the following.
Clear the queue, disable the spooler for that printer, and then try another
print job. A shot in the dark, but this did work for one of my printers
that worked perfectly on my wife's xp pro computer and had the exact same
symptoms as your brother's on my xp pro computer. I probably had a
corrupted spooler file. It worked perfectly for the Canon i960 and HP5p
printers that were installed on my computer, but not my wife's Canon
ip5000.

By the way, you've now learned that our resident troll, Measekite, is the
foremost worldwide purveyer of misinformation.

Old March 5th 08, 08:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Colin Reddish

"Burt" wrote in message

Colin - When your brother has jobs in the queue, turns the printer off and
then reboots, do the print jobs print during the reboot? Try the
following. Clear the queue, disable the spooler for that printer, and then
try another print job. A shot in the dark, but this did work for one of
my printers that worked perfectly on my wife's xp pro computer and had the
exact same symptoms as your brother's on my xp pro computer. I probably
had a corrupted spooler file. It worked perfectly for the Canon i960 and
HP5p printers that were installed on my computer, but not my wife's Canon
ip5000.

Thanks for the advice Burt. We'll try that later tonight when I call him.
The aspect of disabling the print spooler was in the reference I mentioned I
think. But this is something I'm not familiar with. I recall this involved
using the Run command in the Start menu? Could you clarify please?

By the way, you've now learned that our resident troll, Measekite, is the
foremost worldwide purveyer of misinformation.

I learnt that a few days after I started following this newsgroup about a
year ago. :-)
--
Colin Reddish

Old March 6th 08, 03:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Default Was: Which inkjet manufacturers... NOW: R200 problem with Vista

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Before sending this on to the MS Vista printer team, I'd like to suggest
you first attempt to clean the printer spooler folder of all printer
jobs in the queue. If one gets corrupted it can "clog" the data path
and not allow anything else through, crashing the spooler program.
Since I am not well versed in Vista, if you need details on how to
accomplish this, let me know and I will ask for details from the printer
driver "mob" I am in contact with.

In older OSs you open the printer folder, and click on the printer in
question, and that opens window which may show a queue. Simply
select/highlight the spooled document and go to the printer drop down
menu and click on Purge Print Documents. I can't recall if you can
highlight multiple entries at once or have to do them one at a time, or
maybe you don't even need to highlight them. I don't have anything in
the queue right now to test.

Art

Old March 6th 08, 12:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Colin Reddish

[...]

Thanks Art.

We managed to empty the list of outstanding print jobs OK. Vista would not
allow us to "Delete" the printer without cancelling all the print jobs
first. Having "deleted" the printer it appeared that re-connecting the
printer re-installed it again but it will still not execute print commands,
simply adds them to the print queue.

I'm not familiar with the phrase "clean the printer spooler folder". Is
this the same as "cancelling the print jobs"? Burt also mentioned
"disabling the print spooler". I don't know what that means. As I mentioned
in my reply to Burt I get the impression from the references I have seen
(but not fully understood) that this may involve using the Run command in
the Start menu. Any more help would be appreciated.
--
Colin Reddish

Old March 6th 08, 01:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Arthur Entlich wrote:
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Before sending this on to the MS Vista printer team, I'd like to suggest

(snipped tale of woe and attempts at solution)

Wow. It happens every time. The more I hear about Vista, the better I
like Linux.

TJ
Old March 6th 08, 03:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
smlunatick

On Mar 6, 8:59*am, TJ wrote:
Arthur Entlich wrote:
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Before sending this on to the MS Vista printer team, I'd like to suggest

(snipped tale of woe and attempts at solution)

Wow. It happens every time. The more I hear about Vista, the better I
like Linux.

TJ

Linux has more printer problems than you think! Several of the Host
only style printers would not be used. As with any printer install /
usage problem, always look for the correct updated drivers from the
manufacturer's support web site(s).