It looks like my ATI R9700pro is dying

Old April 3rd 04, 09:00 AM
Ken Maltby

Default It looks like my ATI R9700pro is dying

It still works for 2D but as soon as the 3D warms up
it locks up, with or with out VPU Recover. At first I
thought it was FarCry but it's happening whenever I
use any 3D. If the card is "cold" it may last a few min
in 3D mode, but that time gets shorter and shorter each
subsequent attempt.

Maybe overclocking (just to R9800 speeds) has taken
its toll? Can't believe it is heat related, at least not the GPU
as that has a waterblock.

I sorta reminds me of when I was first trying to get one of
these boards to work in a A7N8X, when they both were
new. This A7N8X and R9700 Pro have been working great
together for some time now. It's even been some time sense
the last MB BIOS and video driver updates. Now; for no
apparent reason, it is dying in 3D apps.

Any ideas so I don't have to kick the kid off my system with
the R9800 pro? At least until I can figure whether to replace it
or find some way to limp along until the next cards are out.

Better Luck;
Ken

Old April 3rd 04, 11:25 AM
Ken Maltby

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
m...
[...]

P.S. This is getting weirder and weirder, replaced the card with
a R8500 (orig. 64meg model) and still am locking up in 3D.
I can't figure out what, on the motherboard, would be effecting
just the 3D performance.

I have another A7N8X board (a A7N8X-E deluxe) handy,so I'll
be trying that next.

Old April 3rd 04, 11:34 AM
Ken Maltby

"JAD" wrote in message
ink.net...
you have looked at Direct X as a possible problem?

Checked what I could, can't go back from 9b to say 8.
I'll try and reinstall it (9b) but I don't know how it could
just "go bad", I haven't added anything that would have
changed it since I installed FarCry and that was fine until
I reached the hole in the carrier.

Thanks for the tip;
Ken

Old April 3rd 04, 03:18 PM
Don Burnette

Ken Maltby wrote:
"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I'd look at possibly a heat problem. Clean out any dust buildup with a
compressed air can - check your temps with a utility such as Motheboard
Monitor.
Try running it with the case off, and perhaps even a small fan blowing on it
with the case off, to see if that makes it more stable.

--
Don Burnette

Old April 3rd 04, 05:02 PM
rms

I'd look at possibly a heat problem. Clean out any dust buildup with a
compressed air can - check your temps with a utility such as Motheboard
Monitor.

See if it hangs in prime95, which stesses the cpu but not the vidcard.

rms

Old April 3rd 04, 05:07 PM
blah

snip

Any ideas so I don't have to kick the kid off my system with
the R9800 pro? At least until I can figure whether to replace it
or find some way to limp along until the next cards are out.

Better Luck;
Ken

P.S. This is getting weirder and weirder, replaced the card with
a R8500 (orig. 64meg model) and still am locking up in 3D.
I can't figure out what, on the motherboard, would be effecting
just the 3D performance.

I have another A7N8X board (a A7N8X-E deluxe) handy,so I'll
be trying that next.

Maybe the AGP slot is on its way out?

Old April 3rd 04, 06:30 PM
Ken Maltby

"blah" wrote in message
. au...

snip

Any ideas so I don't have to kick the kid off my system with
the R9800 pro? At least until I can figure whether to replace it
or find some way to limp along until the next cards are out.

Better Luck;
Ken

P.S. This is getting weirder and weirder, replaced the card with
a R8500 (orig. 64meg model) and still am locking up in 3D.
I can't figure out what, on the motherboard, would be effecting
just the 3D performance.

I have another A7N8X board (a A7N8X-E deluxe) handy,so I'll
be trying that next.

Maybe the AGP slot is on its way out?

Ok, been up all night but it works with the A7N8X-E, so it
was not the R9700 Pro. Guess I'll start another thread over
in the ASUS NG. Thanks everyone, maybe I'll get the old MB
working someday. Still seems odd that the only thing that failed
was the 3D graphics support (whatever that would be) on the MB.
The AGP sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks again;
Ken

Old April 4th 04, 10:33 AM
Chip

But that's great news! I wish mine would die ;-)

Then I could buy a new 9800 Pro for such a bargain price that you see
nowadays. I can't possibly justify that whilst my 9700 Pro is working!

Chip

A dying hard disk Jack General 4 November 27th 04 07:52 AM
P4B dying a slow death????? Chris Asus Motherboards 2 August 31st 04 02:10 AM
40mm fan dying - replace? Andrew Kerr General 3 April 13th 04 01:43 AM
Help!! My Burner Can't Read Any Disks (Blank or Recorded) , Is it Dying On Me. Neemo Cdr 0 July 30th 03 05:57 AM
Help!! My Burner Can't Read Any Disks (Blank or Recorded) , Is it Dying On Me. Neemo Cdr 1 July 29th 03 03:52 PM