gtx 650 3 monitors

Old August 5th 13, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
donut

Default gtx 650 3 monitors

can the gtx 650 run 3 19in 1280x1024 monitors simultainously
mostly for flt sim type of games

Old August 5th 13, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Chris S.[_3_]

--

Four (4) displays are supported...

Chris

Old August 6th 13, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

donut wrote:
can the gtx 650 run 3 19in 1280x1024 monitors simultainously
mostly for flt sim type of games

This stuff is pretty hard to figure out. So don't take
my answer as definitive. There might be some way of
doing it, that I missed. (One of the reasons this
post is so long, is I *did* miss something...)

*******

I see three connectors. I expect that means, you can use any
two of three, as in "regular dual head operation". Single
cards (at least, ones with a single GPU on them), run dual head.
[Or so I thought, until I got to the end of this post...]

http://www.pclaunches.com/wp-content...ce_gtx_650.jpg

NVidia provides this page, for 2D Surround and 3D Surround mode.
The GTX650, in 2-way SLI, does not support 3D Surround. Maybe the
latest driver doesn't allow it, for performance reasons ? Notice
that if you enter GTX660 2-way SLI in the config menu, it allows it.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/tech...m-requirements

The 2-way SLI solution involved, would mean buying a second card.
Benefit is, any game used, thinks it is playing in a 3840x1024
single screen. That's what 3D Surround buys you.

*******

Background info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor

"Hybrid Span mode

This is a technique that allows using multiple GPUs to create
a single unified display, and this is a more modern approach to
utilizing multi-monitor displays. The two main companies involved
in this market, AMD and nVidia, use the same technique of grouping
all monitors together to, in essence, trick the computer into using
one large spanned resolution, eliminating the need for special software
patches.

AMD's EyeFinity, or more specifically SLS (Single Large Surface),
creates a large, spanned resolution across three and up to six monitors.

nVidia's approach to this is called "Surround" and it also creates
a large, spanned resolution; however, it only supports three monitors.
"

"Matrox, a third hardware supplier providing both multi-display
add-in boards and a series of external multi-display upgrade units
known as DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go."

You could run one connector from the video card, to a DuakHead2Go
and try to do it that way.

GTX650 --------- Connector#2 ----- DualHead2Go
Connector#1 | |
| | |
1280x1024 1280x1024 1280x1024

It means the second connector on the GTX650, would run 2560x1024.
You *must* verify, using the Matrox charts or their fancy
config software tool, whether a given config will work.

There are various models of Dual Head. This one uses VGA on input,
so you go DVI-I to VGA to get into the box. And then can go DVI-I on output.
$220. That's cheaper than one of the TripleHead models. That's
why I selected it. (It turns out, you can buy a replacement
video card, perfectly good for the job, for the same price...)

http://www.amazon.com/Matrox-DualHea.../dp/B000QRTHX8

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...dh2go/digital/

That's the best I could select out of this lot.
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/

They have a configuration tool. You install this in Windows,
and it tells you what products will work. Presumably, none of
their new products that use DisplayPort (I don't see DisplayPort
on your GTX650).

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/su...load/gxm/tool/

You would use such a solution, if the motherboard wasn't set up for
SLI (two big PCI Express slots). Based on the NVidia lacking a
3D Surround for 2-way SLI with GTX650, otherwise it would take
a pair of different cards to do it (ones that *are* listed in
the configuration tool).

*******

Would this work ? This is "non-SLI" so SLI is not enabled.

GTX650 #1 GTX650 #2
| | | |
1280x1024 1280x1024 1280x1024 1280x1024

I really don't know the answer to that :-)

I've run a pair of matched cards, with four monitors, but I
didn't try gaming on it. I don't think I have any games, that
would operate at that resolution. You could run three or four
monitors that way. One thing that did happen to me, is
the monitor mapping, changed mid-session when I was running
my setup, such that the left two and right two monitors
got confused. (I had to go back into the Display Control
panel and move the monitor IDs around.)

It's also possible, the game would need to be "multi-monitor
aware" for a configuration like that to work. Whereas the
3D Surround method (on 2-way SLI), probably looks like
a single monitor to the game.

*******

This site has a gallery of "cobbled together" multiple
monitor configurations. But I don't see a lot of
3D info here, for games. This is mostly for 2D desktop
stuff, or for real time stock charts.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon...lse&m on=desc

*******

Another place to look, would be on a flight sim site, and
see what info they have on the cobbled together approach.
I suspect the two GTX650, in non-SLI, don't necessarily
stay time-aligned. But what do I know...

*******

You can run three monitors off of this.

"Eyefinity Support: Yes"

You would use the two DVI ports, plus get a DisplayPort to
DVI adapter. And that would run three DVI monitors.

*******

Interesting. So NVidia *can* do it. I didn't know this.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...roduction.html

"Next up is surround gaming from one card. With the
GTX 660-690 NVIDIA now allow us to connect three displays
to one card/GPU and power resolutions such as 5760x1080
and while doing so we can also enable 3D Vision. As an
added extra NVIDIA also allow the use of an "accessory"
display, a fourth screen which can run at the same time
as our three gaming screens for use on software such as chat,
mail and browsing applications."

OK, so why didn't that show up in the Geforce config page ?
And is "3D Vision" the same thing as "3D Surround" ?

OK, so it does work. If I load a single GTX 660 in the tool,
I get what I want from it.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/tech...m-requirements

"Orientation: Landscape
Accessory Display: Yes, no additional GPU
Maximum Resolution: 5760x1080
Maximum Resolution (Bezel Correction): 7680x1080
Maximum number of displays: 3 in Surround
1 Accessory Display

Special Instructions:

3D Vision Surround requires using three DVI or three DisplayPort connectors

All monitors must be the same make and model for 3D Vision Surround

Using DisplayPort connectors may require the use of DisplayPort
to Dual-link DVI adapters [for above 1920...]. Please consult
your monitor's manual for supported 3D connectors

Center Display of the Surround group should be connected to
the card with most displays.

Accessory Display must be connected to the card with most
number of displays.

You can use any connector to enable the Accessory Display.
"

The light-green dots in the diagram, show the Surround connectors.
I wonder what that top one is ? Looks like DisplayPort.

http://international.download.nvidia...ion2-2d-3d.png
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-125-443-Z02?$S640W$

GTX660 (around $194 to $210 for some of them)

Since the card doesn't come with three DVI connectors,
you then need to learn about DisplayPort adapters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport

"The DisplayPort signal is not compatible with DVI or HDMI.
However, Dual-Mode DisplayPorts are designed to transmit a
single-link DVI or HDMI 1.2/1.4 protocol across the interface
through the use of an external passive adapter"

Passive = Cheap

"VGA and dual-link DVI, on the other hand, require active
adapters to convert the protocol and signal to the desired
output and do not require dual-mode DisplayPorts."

DisplayPort to Single Link DVI - will easily do 1280x1024 @ 60Hz. $23

So maybe $240 tops, if you were sloppy.

It's a good thing they make this stuff easy...
What a minefield to navigate.

Now, I could buy an ATI card with Eyefinity, for about
half the price of the GTX660. So there are some other
options. Then, you'd have to start comparing benchmarks
for the cards, to figure out which is the right purchase.

Paul

LCD monitors Adam Russell General 4 December 27th 06 01:51 AM
LCD Monitors -- LCD Monitors -- Description of Basic Specifications [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 2 January 4th 06 12:30 AM
Using two monitors..... Jaffa General 5 August 19th 05 03:20 PM
What groups are there for monitors and LCD monitors? Jacko General 0 September 27th 04 09:51 PM
Dual monitors: 'Allow taskbar to span multiple monitors' Patrick Flaherty Nvidia Videocards 2 July 15th 03 03:46 PM