GeForce 7950 GT OC and 64-bit Drivers

Old December 26th 12, 04:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Damaeus[_3_]

Default GeForce 7950 GT OC and 64-bit Drivers

I'm building a system using a combination of new parts and parts I already
have. It'll have:

New - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
New - AMD FX AM3+ 64-bit processor (not sure which one yet)
New - 8 GB of RAM

Old - GeForce 7950 GTOC w/ 512 MB (PCIe)

So I was checking to make sure I can get 64-bit drivers with all my
hardware before I actually choose the 64-bit version of Windows 8. I
checked the Nvidia site and found that for the 64-bit Win8 driver, the
GeForce 7 list doesn't go anywhere near the 7950 GTOC, but then neither
does the list for WinXP. Is the 7950 included in some other model number,
like maybe is the 7950 some vamped up version of the 7650 GT, perhaps?

When I pick the 7950GTOC driver for WinXP, this is the "compatible cards"
list that comes up, which doesn't include 7950, yet this driver does work
with the 7950:

WinXP:
======
GeForce 7 Series GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a, GeForce 7050 PV /
NVIDIA nForce 630a, GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i, GeForce 7050 /
NVIDIA nForce 630i, GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i, GeForce 7100 /
NVIDIA nForce 620i, GeForce 7100 GS, GeForce 7150 / NVIDIA nForce
630i, GeForce 7300 SE / 7200 GS, GeForce 7300 LE, GeForce 7300 GS,
GeForce 7300 GT, GeForce 7350 LE, GeForce 7500 LE, GeForce 7550 LE,
GeForce 7600 LE, GeForce 7600 GS, GeForce 7600 GT, GeForce 7650 GS

Damaeus
Old January 3rd 13, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
David W. Hodgins

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 22:44:33 -0500, Damaeus wrote:

I'm building a system using a combination of new parts and parts I already
have. It'll have:

New - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
New - AMD FX AM3+ 64-bit processor (not sure which one yet)

As with all motherboards now, make sure you physically have it in
your hands, before trying to pick a cpu. There is a sticker on the
mb, that will indicate which bios version is installed.

Once you know which bios version is installed, then you can check
the mb support site, to see which cpus are supported with that bios
version.

Otherwise, you may end up as I did last year, having to buy an
extra (old) cpu, just so you can install a bios update, to support
a newer cpu.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Old January 10th 13, 01:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Damaeus[_3_]

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "David W. Hodgins"
posted on Thu, 03 Jan 2013 02:56:42 -0500
the following:

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 22:44:33 -0500, Damaeus wrote:

I'm building a system using a combination of new parts and parts I already
have. It'll have:

New - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
New - AMD FX AM3+ 64-bit processor (not sure which one yet)

As with all motherboards now, make sure you physically have it in
your hands, before trying to pick a cpu. There is a sticker on the
mb, that will indicate which bios version is installed.

Once you know which bios version is installed, then you can check
the mb support site, to see which cpus are supported with that bios
version.

Otherwise, you may end up as I did last year, having to buy an
extra (old) cpu, just so you can install a bios update, to support
a newer cpu.

That all worked out, even though I got it all at the same time. The BIOS
that was on the motherboard was a beta version, but I flashed to the
latest version and everything seems to be communicating. Aside from the
sudden reboots, I love the way it runs. I disabled Automatic Restart in
the settings so I could get a bluescreen instead, but I never even get a
bluescreen. I would think that would mean it's more likely some hardware
issue. I'm trying suggestions from the Asus Republic of Gamers forum, but
so far, none of the suggestions I've tried have helped. There's still one
suggestion I have left to try, but I'm pessemistic about it. One guy
suggested I manually set the timings for the RAM according to its
published and tested speed, which is 2133 @ 11-12-11-30, but my research
on the Kingston website shows that at its MAXIMUM tested speed, but it's
really got a standard JEDEC speed of 1333 @ 9-9-9-24. I'm happy with that
since it's automatically configured, but if the system reboots itself at
standard speed, I don't see why running the memory at a higher speed would
increase stability. I had tried that once already with no change except
that I was able to run the computer longer before a reboot happened. The
only difference in his suggestion was pulling the power plug and removing
the CMOS battery for five minutes. I did that and left the battery out
for several hours while I did other things. I have not tried 2133MHz and
the related timings yet. After putting the battery back in, I tried
connecting the case's power supply to a regular surge protector to see if
the UPS might be bad, but I still got a reboot without the UPS. Right
now, I've left everything on automatic except for a setting that optimizes
for 4GB DIMMS, which is what I have: four of them. It boosted the timing
a little (lengthening the time), but I can't recall what it actually
changed to. The fourth number was a 28. I remember that. I think it was
maybe 10-12-10-28, but I'm just guessing. I didn't write them down.

--
| Motherboard: | Asus Crosshair V Formula Z (AMD 990FX) | Jan 2013 |