Q&D graphics benchmark?

Old December 31st 10, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
~misfit~[_15_]

Default Q&D graphics benchmark?

Hi folks.

I've decided that I *really* have to sort out my collection of crap...
errrr.... my computers and parts. Therefore I'm building as many machines as
I can from my spares collection and taking the rest of the hardware off to
be recycled.

I have a couple of 'integrated' motherboards ranging from PIII to Skt 775 /
C2D. I also have a couple of low-end AGP cards and also two PCI (not 'e')
GeForce 2 / 32MB cards. I'm trying to sort out which systems would benefit
from the PCI cards. Obviously I don't want to put one in a system that has
equal or better integrated graphics.

I was just wondering, dows anyone know of a simple graphics benchmark
utility that I could use to find out which systems would benefit? I have
various '3DMark' programmes but they're all large and, for my porpoises,
overly-complex. Also, as I intend to sell these systems as simple 'internet
/ email' machines I'd rather not install a huge programme that takes 15
minutes to run, then uninstall it. Orphaned .dlls and all that....

So, the question: Can anyone recommend a small, simple and fast graphics
benchmark that would suit my purposes? All machines will be running XP. The
ultimate app for me would be a 'portable' graphics benchmark tool that
doesn't have to be installed, that could be run from a USB stick.

TIA, and happy new year. :-)
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Old December 31st 10, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Foke[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 20:20:11 +1300, "~misfit~"
wrote:

Hi folks.

snip

So you post a request for help, then log in a few hours later and start
slamming posters with snide comments? Let me be the first to cordially
invite you to **** right off.
Old January 1st 11, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

On 12/31/2010 1:20 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

To solve this one you don't even really need to benchmark it; the
performance of most Intel integrated graphics chipsets is well known
versus an old stanby like the GF2.

For example; on the P3, I'd bet you have like an i815 or similar type
chipset. That's only about as powerful as an original RivaTNT; so stick
the GF2 in without a doubt (even if it is PCI). Plus it'll have faster
VESA modes anyway.

For the C2D; you might be dealing with the X3100 or something; and
that's a more capable chip that's "almost" DX9 level and still beats the
GF2 in capabilities. Not to mention that you might only have one or two
PCI slots in that board to begin with.

Otherwise the old standby for that generation of graphics cards was
without a doubt 3dMark 2001. It scaled well for CPU speeds, so it was
useful even years later to compare total system performance.
Old January 1st 11, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

3DMark2001SE is 40MB, and the benchmark run is as simple
as a single click. And the results, make old hardware
look good :-)

http://majorgeeks.com/3Dmark_d99.html

PAul
Old January 3rd 11, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
~misfit~[_15_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs deimos wrote:
[...]

Thanks deimos, I appreciate your reply.

Cheers,

Old January 3rd 11, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
~misfit~[_15_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Paul wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul, I'll add it to my 'always in the pocket' USB stick. It's a
shame it's not 'portable' but I guess you can't have everything. ;-)

BTW, I hope that 2011 is good to you. I for one apreciate all of the good
work that you do in the hardware groups, thanks again.

Old January 3rd 11, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
~misfit~[_15_]

wrote:

Hi folks.

snip

So you post a request for help, then log in a few hours later and
start slamming posters with snide comments? Let me be the first to
cordially invite you to **** right off.

Thanks for your reply.