Why is it not possible to install a RAID driver after the OS is installed?

Old October 24th 08, 08:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

Default Why is it not possible to install a RAID driver after the OS is installed?

I want to run a RAID 1 on two additional drives. I do not want raid on my
Windows XP drive.

It does not appear possible to do this as the F6 key (which loads the driver
from floppy) only is functional during the XP installation.

Can anyone help?

Beemer

Old October 24th 08, 09:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message "Beemer"
was claimed to have wrote:

I want to run a RAID 1 on two additional drives. I do not want raid on my
Windows XP drive.

It does not appear possible to do this as the F6 key (which loads the driver
from floppy) only is functional during the XP installation.

It's only necessary to use an F6 driver install in XP if you're planning
on booting from a RAID driver, otherwise you can install the driver from
within the OS.
Old October 24th 08, 10:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "Beemer"
was claimed to have wrote:

I want to run a RAID 1 on two additional drives. I do not want raid on
my
Windows XP drive.

It does not appear possible to do this as the F6 key (which loads the
driver
from floppy) only is functional during the XP installation.

It's only necessary to use an F6 driver install in XP if you're planning
on booting from a RAID driver, otherwise you can install the driver from
within the OS.

That is good news but I don't see how to do this. Here is my setup:

GA EP45-DS3P Motherboard with onboard Intel Raid controller
XP Prof with SP3
C: Boot drive (non raid before and after) - sata
D: for Sata1
E: for Sata1
CDROM - ATA
DVD-RAM - ATA

regards,

Beemer

Old October 24th 08, 11:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message "Beemer"
was claimed to have wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
.. .
In message "Beemer"
was claimed to have wrote:

I want to run a RAID 1 on two additional drives. I do not want raid on
my
Windows XP drive.

It does not appear possible to do this as the F6 key (which loads the
driver
from floppy) only is functional during the XP installation.

It's only necessary to use an F6 driver install in XP if you're planning
on booting from a RAID driver, otherwise you can install the driver from
within the OS.

That is good news but I don't see how to do this. Here is my setup:

GA EP45-DS3P Motherboard with onboard Intel Raid controller
XP Prof with SP3
C: Boot drive (non raid before and after) - sata
D: for Sata1
E: for Sata1
CDROM - ATA
DVD-RAM - ATA

Have you tried the SATA RAID drivers from Gigabyte?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2841
Old October 24th 08, 02:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "Beemer"
was claimed to have wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "Beemer"
was claimed to have wrote:

[...]

The smaller download file, has the files for an F6 offering.
You download it, double click and it unzips itself.

http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList...ootdisk_32.exe

Copy the files to the floppy. The TXTSETUP file is how the OS figures out what
is being offered. All the files go onto the floppy as is. There should be room.

07/29/2008 04:58a 11,607 iaahci.cat
07/20/2008 05:05p 9,063 iaAHCI.inf
07/29/2008 07:03p 11,215 iastor.cat
07/20/2008 05:05p 8,116 iaStor.inf
07/20/2008 05:44p 324,120 IaStor.sys
07/26/2006 11:09a 11,321 license.txt
07/20/2008 05:05p 4,884 TXTSETUP.OEM

I would do the repair install with only C: connected. That is to
ensure nothing funny happens. Set the BIOS for RAID. Boot the
Windows CD, and do the repair install, pressing F6 and offering
the driver when needed. Windows may ask for the floppy twice,
so don't be too quick removing it.

http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/window...airinstall.htm

Once you're booted off C, you can download the larger 25MB file, as
it would have the RAID Management console installation for the OS.

If you run into trouble when D/E are connected, you could try
using the BIOS RAID setup screens to define D/E as an array at
that point. Otherwise, if there isn't a problem booting with
C,D,E all present, you can do the RAID setup with the Windows
level Intel RAID Management software. Then, copy back the
backed up files onto the new array.

Paul
Old October 24th 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

"Paul" wrote in message ...
DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "Beemer"
was claimed to have wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "Beemer"
was claimed to have wrote:

[...]

Paul,

Many thanks for your information. I have made the floppy and also copied
the Matrix program to a flash disk.

Now I need to slipsteam my XP SP2 with SP3 before trying a repair.

thanks,

Beemer

Old March 28th 09, 05:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Brian Griffin

I know it's a long time since this thread was active but just in case anyone
is still finding installing RAID drivers to be a problem after OS
installation, can I suggest you use "Computer management" from within XP.
Once inside Computer Management, click on Device Manager and then Other
Devices which will show the RAIDs which are faulty. It is difficult to work
out which RAID is which but I tried both, installed the drivers and got my
SATA RAID Sil to work.
Cheers,
Brian

"Paul" wrote in message ...