Memory suggestions Gigabyte EP45-DS3L (DDR2 1333 / 1200 ???)

Old March 12th 09, 04:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
RonM

Default Memory suggestions Gigabyte EP45-DS3L (DDR2 1333 / 1200 ???)

You have to manually enter in your voltage, 2.0, and timings,
which the website for your ram says are CL 6-7-7-20.
It says you can go up to 2.05 v before violating the warrantee.
EasyTune is a software program that Gigabyte includes with some of it's
boards.

OCZ / Products / Memory / OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Fatal1ty 4GB Dual Channel
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Fatal1ty 4GB Dual Channel
a..
a.. OCZ2F10664GK
CompUSATigerDirect USANeweggAmazon
b..

1066MHz DDR2
CL 6-7-7-20
(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Available in 4GB (2x2048MB) dual channel kits
Unbuffered
Fatal1ty Branded XTC Heatspreader*
Lifetime Warranty
2.0 Volts
240 Pin DIMM

Special Features

2.05V EVP***

Part Numbers

4GB Dual Channel Kit PN - OCZ2F10664GK

OCZ2F10664GK
CompUSA . TigerDirect USA . Newegg . Amazon

OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 / 1066MHz / Fatal1ty Edition / 4GB Dual
Channel

The OCZ Fatal1ty series is the official memory for the
Championship Gaming Series. These high-performance memory kits were
co-developed with the expertise of the world's 12-time champion to meet the
needs of fellow gamers, and are designed to help deliver exceptional gaming
visuals and overclocking potential to ensure your high-powered gaming PC
maintains unsurpassed stability.

The OCZ Fatal1ty memory kits feature high densities and
blazing frequencies to help DirectX-10 PC games reach their full potential
on the latest platforms.

* XTC (Xtreme Thermal Convection) heatspreaders optimize
the thermal management of memory modules by promoting greater airflow by
means of micro-convection throughout what is usually the dead air space
inside conventional heatspreader designs. In this manner, build-up of heat
is avoided and thermal dissipation of the memory components is offloaded
more efficiently through the honeycomb design. At the same time, mechanical
stability is maintained.

--
Ron A. Marraccini
Legal Investigations - PSID #33657

"Giga Guy" wrote in message ...
RonM wrote:

The board defaults to the 800Mhz setting -
Go into the bios and change the settings/voltage per the RAM sticker
yourself.

You saying that just by increasing the ram voltage, that the mobo will
be able to "sense" something in the ram and increase the clock speed
automatically?

I think it said 2.0 or 2.1 or 2.2 v on the package. I did up the
voltage to 1.9 but it still said 800 mhz in the bios.

Don't use the EasyTune program as it may overvolt.

There's no OS on this thing yet. Is there a ram stress program that
boots from a floppy? Was it something like memtest86? Is that what I'm
thinking about?

Let me know how it goes - I am wondering if I
should have got the faster stuff myself.

The earliest I'll be able to post back my next results will be about 6
pm EST tommorrow.

Old March 13th 09, 01:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
Giga Guy

Default Memtest86: Why two versions or streams? (3.5 vs 2.11)

david wrote:

Try memtest86+ instead.

http://www.memtest.org/

I see now that there are two different "streams" of memtest:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

http://www.memtest.org/

I've been running version 3.5 from the first website.

Which one is preferred?
Old March 13th 09, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
Giga Guy

Ok, after all that **** with memtest 3.5, I'll be using memtest86+ 2.11
from now on.

What I've been testing so far are these:

Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4G

Kingston specs are 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2V, but they run really hot. I didn't
take them above 2.0v. I found it was stable at 6-6-6-16 at 1066mhz
(memory clock at 533 mhz) at 1.9v. I tried running it at 1110 mhz at
2.0v but it failed memtest 2.11 consistently at about the 35% part of
pass 1. Running at 1066, memtest reports 4226 mb/sec (single channel)
and 5425 mb/sec (dual channel).

Corsair Twin2X4096-8500C

Specs printed on the dimms say 7-7-7-20, 2.0v, 1066 mhz. I found it
stable at 6-6-6-16 at 2.0v running 1110 mhz. Memtest
reports 4385 mb/s (single channel). Haven't tried them in dual channel.

I'd have to give the edge to Corsair in this comparison.

This again is on a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L with Intel Q8200 (Core2 Quad
SLB5M) 2.33 GHz (clock multiplier 333 MHz x 7).

My next test won't be for another day or two. I will try the OCZ
fatality again, and try a full 8gb of ram.

Does anyone mess around with the pages and pages of additional bios ram
settings? Is there any pattern or proceedure for setting those? Should
I even bother?

Does anyone maintains a list of memtest speed charts or tables? There
are lots of performance numbers out there that the various publications
resort to, but I don't think I've seen any of them use the raw mb/sec
numbers from memtest86.

Why on earth did the industry migrate from DDR to DDR2 and now to DDR3
if there are really no performance benefits from all these new ram
versions - especially the transition from DDR2 to DDR3 ?