Booting with Gigabyte mobo question

Old February 26th 09, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
John Smith[_16_]

Default Booting with Gigabyte mobo question

Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte GA EP45 mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and
XP.

When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....

This is what happens when it boots:-

Beep

Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)

black screen

Beep

Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)

list of text

then Windows sequence

and finally all ok after 1.5 mins

any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?

wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

Old February 27th 09, 02:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per John Smith:
any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?

Mine gets into these loops where it just keeps popping the splash
screen and re-booting forever.

I get it to start up for real by pushing Reset at the right time
just after the beep.

Somebody commented that this is a firmware or driver problem that
can be fixed by downloading/installing the latest-and-greatest;
but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 27th 09, 09:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
JK

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:14:41 -0000, "John Smith"
wrote:

Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte GA EP45 mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and
XP.

When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....

This is what happens when it boots:-

Beep

Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)

black screen

Beep

Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)

list of text

then Windows sequence

and finally all ok after 1.5 mins

any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?

wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

Something seems wrong in your bios settings. It invites you.

I expered with ma78gms2h that I had warning for cpu fan set in bios
and also smartfan control enabled. Since CPU is cold by start, cpu fan
is not needing to rotate, so I had to disable cpu fan warning.
It is more likely some ram setting that is your problem. Maybe raise
voltage a little, + 0.1 volt or 0.2 on ram. Ctrl F1 can give the
needed menu for it.

Then save the bios.

best regards

John
Old February 27th 09, 01:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
John Smith[_16_]

wrote:

[...]

==========
Fans..wondered if that was a possible cause...so have now disconnected all
the 3 case fans...just the same!
Another couple bits of information...
1.From the first Gigabyte BIOS display its not possible to action anything
from there..tried Delete key to enter BIOS...Nothing.
2. Also, may or may not be relevant...but when using Power Options..and
having pc go into standby after so many minutes..it seems to do that ok,
screen off etc - except the fans don't stop - ...but then will it come out
of standby?...no it won't!...tried mouse and all keys...nothing...only way
is to reboot.
3. the Gigabyte mobo has dual bios set-up
Thanks. J

Old February 28th 09, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
John Smith[_16_]

wrote:

[...]

==============
SUCCESS!!!!

........was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
....last throw....disconnected all devices..
....ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
external hard
drive....then switched on...all ok...
.....reattached the devices one by one...
....and guess which was the culprit?
....the **** external hard drive!!
....unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard drive
and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
Thanks very much for your help!
All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and how to
remedy. :-)
Thanks again,