ram question about crysis

Old May 10th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
zachman

Default ram question about crysis

hey guys,
I have crysis for xp32bit and 1 GIG of ram at 667 speed. I obviously
need more ram to run crysis , i was thinking of getting another 1 gig
667mhz , my question is should I get a 2x1(2gb total ) 800mhz kit
instead of the 1 gig 667 and should I see performance of crysis
greatly improved between these two ram speeds?

my video card is a 8800gt by the way
Old May 10th 08, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'zachman' wrote:
I have crysis for xp32bit and 1 GIG of ram at 667 speed. I obviously
need more ram to run crysis , i was thinking of getting another 1 gig
667mhz , my question is should I get a 2x1(2gb total ) 800mhz kit
instead of the 1 gig 667 and should I see performance of crysis
greatly improved between these two ram speeds?

_____

No, only if you can increase the DDR2 clock and use that increase to
overclock the CPU. Increasing the DDR2 clock alone will show a few percent
performance increase. On the other hand, DDR2 800 memory is very cheap; a
matched pair of memory modules may have an advantage, and you can likely,
while running the DDR2 800 ram at whatever speed your CPU requires, set
lower latency timings and get a few percent performance increase.

Old May 10th 08, 02:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

zachman wrote:
hey guys,
I have crysis for xp32bit and 1 GIG of ram at 667 speed. I obviously
need more ram to run crysis , i was thinking of getting another 1 gig
667mhz , my question is should I get a 2x1(2gb total ) 800mhz kit
instead of the 1 gig 667 and should I see performance of crysis
greatly improved between these two ram speeds?

my video card is a 8800gt by the way

The XP performance gains will be substantial as well with 2G vs. 1G.
Much smoother operation with far fewer burps and hiccups.

If your mobo/cpu combo can handle DDR2 800MHz vs. 667MHz at the same
latencies, by all means choose that. It's the same price and a notch faster.

Crysis won't run well with that rig anyway, but everything else will!