Playstation3 will cost $410 at retail ?

Old August 14th 05, 01:04 AM

Default Playstation3 will cost $410 at retail ?

http://www.gameshout.com/news/062005/article1025.htm

PlayStation 3 Initial Costs
With a cost of $494 USD, this could be dangerous for the Sony PS3 since the
Microsoft Xbox 360 is priced at $299 USD.

The initial manufacturing costs for the PlayStation 3 are suspected to be
around $494 USD.

A recent report estimates that the launch costs for the three main
components of the system are the RSX graphics chip, Blu-Ray disc drive, and
the Cell processor. The cost is $101 USD each.

In an attempt to beat Sony's new PS3 system price, Microsoft Xbox 360 could
cut the $299 launch price even lower. Sony PlayStation 3 hardware will
initially retail for $410 USD.

Sony has traditionally taken large losses on its new hardware to gain a
market share advantage, however, it may face a disadvantage if forced into a
price war, as Microsoft and Nintendo are each making more conservative
choices when it comes to hardwa Microsoft is using the currently-existing
DVD spec for its own media, while Nintendo has eschewed support for
high-definition video, in the interest of maintaining its own history of
turning a profit with each console unit sold.

Furthermore, Sony is currently still taking losses on its PlayStation
Portable hardware in a continued, not yet successful attempt to beat the
Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance in the handheld game marketplace. The
PlayStation 3 is currently expected to result in losses of over $1 billion
in its first year of sales, in addition to the $1.83 billion already
invested in R&D for the Cell chip, co-produced by IBM and Toshiba.

Bring on the discounts.

Old August 15th 05, 06:21 AM
Velocity Girl

Highlander wrote:
http://www.gameshout.com/news/062005/article1025.htm

PlayStation 3 Initial Costs
With a cost of $494 USD, this could be dangerous for the Sony PS3 since the
Microsoft Xbox 360 is priced at $299 USD.

Yeah Xbox360 is $299 + $50 DVD playback kit + $100 40GB hard drive sure
will be a steal :*)
Old August 15th 05, 09:59 AM
steven

youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i no
confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet is it
will be

"Velocity Girl" wrote in message
.. .

Old August 15th 05, 06:34 PM
Brandon Dieterich

Yeah, when has MS ever given anything away for free? You can bet
everything will be additional $$.

steven wrote:

youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i no
confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet is it
will be

"Velocity Girl" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 15th 05, 08:08 PM
xmradio

Highlander wrote:

http://www.gameshout.com/news/062005/article1025.htm

PlayStation 3 Initial Costs
With a cost of $494 USD, this could be dangerous for the Sony PS3 since
the Microsoft Xbox 360 is priced at $299 USD.

Yeah Xbox360 is $299 + $50 DVD playback kit + $100 40GB hard drive sure
will be a steal :*)

You will need to connect you box to the internet, get you stuff valuated,
registration number ...or the extra features won't work.

xman

Old August 16th 05, 06:35 AM
Perfect

"steven" wrote in message
youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i no
confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet is it
will be

A detachable and upgradable 20 gig hard drive has already been confimred for
the Xbox 360. It's a shame Sony doesn't include a hdd standard for the PS3.

Old August 16th 05, 06:36 AM
Perfect

"Brandon Dieterich" wrote in message
Yeah, when has MS ever given anything away for free? You can bet
everything will be additional $$.

When does any successful company give anything away for free w/o making it
up some where else? Brush up on Business 101 and then get back to us,
thanks.

Old August 16th 05, 11:24 AM
Mattinglyfan

"Perfect" picture@perfect wrote in message

"steven" wrote in message
youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i
no confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet
is it will be

It's a shame Sony doesn't include a hdd standard for the PS3.

And that has been confirmed much in the way the story you just responded to
has, hasn't it?

Old August 17th 05, 12:45 AM
GMAN

steven wrote:

youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i no
confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet is it
will be

"Velocity Girl" wrote in message
T...

Highlander wrote:

http://www.gameshout.com/news/062005/article1025.htm

PlayStation 3 Initial Costs
With a cost of $494 USD, this could be dangerous for the Sony PS3 since
the Microsoft Xbox 360 is priced at $299 USD.

Yeah Xbox360 is $299 + $50 DVD playback kit + $100 40GB hard drive sure
will be a steal :*)

You will need to connect you box to the internet, get you stuff valuated,
registration number ...or the extra features won't work.

xman

In otherwords, everyone who doesnt have broadband and who buys a XBOX360 are
screwed out of it.
Old August 17th 05, 01:04 AM
Fred Liken

"GMAN" wrote in message

You will need to connect you box to the internet, get you stuff valuated,
registration number ...or the extra features won't work.

In otherwords, everyone who doesnt have broadband and who buys a XBOX360
are
screwed out of it.

No, a modem on the PC and connection sharing will work... but I think he was
being facetious.