FX5600 causing Reboot when surfing

Old January 5th 04, 07:19 PM
Nicholas Plowman

Default FX5600 causing Reboot when surfing

Have got new Compaq d330 P4 Win XP Pro running FX5600 Card. Frequently -
Usually when surfing, computer reboots without warning and states that
driver conflict is reason? Any Ideas before I trade it in for a Sinclair
Spectrum?

Have downloaded recent drivers for all devices but still doing it.

Nick

Old January 5th 04, 10:43 PM
Paul

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 19:19:04 -0000, "Nicholas Plowman"
wrote:

Have got new Compaq d330 P4 Win XP Pro running FX5600 Card. Frequently -
Usually when surfing, computer reboots without warning and states that
driver conflict is reason? Any Ideas before I trade it in for a Sinclair
Spectrum?

Have downloaded recent drivers for all devices but still doing it.

Nick

I had same problem with me PC few days ago. I've got FX5200 , so I
changed Drivers 55.03 for 45.23 , so far no problem at all.
Old January 6th 04, 01:11 AM
John Lewis

wrote:

Have got new Compaq d330 P4 Win XP Pro running FX5600 Card. Frequently -
Usually when surfing, computer reboots without warning and states that
driver conflict is reason? Any Ideas before I trade it in for a Sinclair
Spectrum?

How about trading for a Dell which uses high-quality but standard
parts/drivers etc ?

I have avoided HP and Compaq for years because of their
non-standard motherboard junk............. Did the FX5600 come
with the Compaq or did you add it afterwards ? If so, does the
Compaq come with integrated video... and if so, did you turn off
the integrated video in BIOS ? Maybe the FX5600 needs
a special driver from Compaq ?

If the whole package came from Compaq or a Compaq dealer,
I would instantly return it and retrieve your money.

John Lewis

Old January 7th 04, 01:43 PM
Daniel Crichton

wrote:

Have got new Compaq d330 P4 Win XP Pro running FX5600 Card.
Frequently - Usually when surfing, computer reboots without warning
and states that driver conflict is reason? Any Ideas before I
trade it in for a Sinclair Spectrum?

How about trading for a Dell which uses high-quality but standard
parts/drivers etc ?

I wouldn't touch Dell systems in the future - I have a few here and they
appear to be underclocked compared to the same mobo chipsets used on other
boards, and have fewer BIOS options. I'd rather go out and buy decent
separate components and build my own PC for use in the office, just as I
have done at home. For the price of a Dell I could build something with much
better performance and more capacity, and not have to sit around after a few
months wondering why I bought a piece of slow junk.

I have avoided HP and Compaq for years because of their
non-standard motherboard junk............. Did the FX5600 come
with the Compaq or did you add it afterwards ? If so, does the
Compaq come with integrated video... and if so, did you turn off
the integrated video in BIOS ? Maybe the FX5600 needs
a special driver from Compaq ?

I agree with you here - I'd never touch Compaq or HP for a desktop system
due to all the proprietary junk and little scope for upgrading unless you
pay through the nose for Compaq/HP recommended parts which are rarely up to
date with the latest standard parts. Servers are a different matter - I have
a very reliable Compaq ProLiant that has given me no trouble in 4 years of
continuous running, and 3 HP NetServers although I'd be wary of buying HP in
the future, nothing but trouble with these in less than 3 years with all of
them needing parts replaced, but newer HP servers should be rebranded Compaq
machines in which case I'd be happy to use them.

Dan

Old January 7th 04, 07:50 PM
John Lewis

wrote:

Have got new Compaq d330 P4 Win XP Pro running FX5600 Card.
Frequently - Usually when surfing, computer reboots without warning
and states that driver conflict is reason? Any Ideas before I
trade it in for a Sinclair Spectrum?

How about trading for a Dell which uses high-quality but standard
parts/drivers etc ?

I wouldn't touch Dell systems in the future - I have a few here and they
appear to be underclocked compared to the same mobo chipsets used on other
boards, and have fewer BIOS options. I'd rather go out and buy decent
separate components and build my own PC for use in the office, just as I
have done at home. For the price of a Dell I could build something with much
better performance and more capacity, and not have to sit around after a few
months wondering why I bought a piece of slow junk.

You missed my point. Dell vs Compaq. Not Compaq ( or Dell )
vs a home-brew system. The OP may not wish to build ( or know
how to build) a home-brew. Can you overclock a Compaq ?
Dell does not underclock; they just choose to use
main-stream high-quality boards ( e.g: Intel brand, which
always have mimimal or non-existent BIOS overclock options,
for very obvious Intel business reasons )

John Lewis

Old January 11th 04, 11:27 PM
J. Clarke

Eddie wrote:
[...]

The HP Brios weren't really a bad deal at one time--I haven't looked at
one lately so don't know if they've changed the concept. Last time I
looked at one conceptually they were first class generics--the kind of
machines that your local cloneworks would build if they had
Hewlett-Packard's engineering and test capabilities. Used ASUS
motherboards at the time.

Eddie

--
--John