nVidia F*cked

Old September 19th 03, 10:38 PM
Scooter

Don't abuse the language like this. Stop being silly and
make excuses. Not just Deano Calver have made these observations, he's a
trained professional, he's got a documented track history in the games
business. If you want to say he's wrong in some way, please state

PRECISELY
how that is the case and present your own credentials instead of trying to
smear him with your lame accusations.

Not still at this are we. All we are trying to say is you attacked a report
I posted a link to and called it crap while promoting Deano Calver as being
a better source for information. I have no doubt the guy knows more than
most about games performance and all other aspects of benchmarks but he
still only has the Beta drivers and code.

In all honesty I can sympathise with people who have spent £300 or more on a
video card only to find out it will be second best but then why buy a card
that had no DX9 games to try it on. I only upgraded to a Ti4800 4 months ago
as all the software I want runs on it. When it is proven what card runs the
majority of DX9 games better then I will see if I want to upgrade to that.

This argument over which card is best just now is invalid until final code
and drivers are released as well as a good few other titles. I have never
run a benchmark program on my computer and only go on how a game performs.
If I install new drivers and it seems worse then I install the old ones.
This newsgroup is a great source of information and I have went on its
recommendations before but I certainly wouldnt take anyones word
(manufacturer, programmer or reviewer) on things I cant go to my local store
and see working.

Old October 1st 03, 03:37 AM
Mouse Anony

"The Robot" wrote in message ...
Starting to wish I got that ATI 9800 Pro card now thats for sure.

Fraid so...

nVidia might pull something out of the bag with their new drivers, but it's
looking a bit bad for them unless the boost is enough to make the 5600Ultra
play HL2 at decent frame rates in DX9.

Otherwise that, and any every other FX card is pretty much a turkey when you
look at the value you get from an ATi 9600pro.

Of course, that's only for HL2, but Valve predict the same from all DX9
games.

I don't really get why this is surprising or unexpected. The 5900
performing so badly is a bit unexpected. But every reviewer with a
brain and anyone person analysing the reviews etc with a brain has
know for a very long time that the only FXes that might be worth
anything is the 5900 line (and perhaps the 5800). Everyone has known
for a very long time that the 5600 and 5200 lines are pieces of crap
which would never run DX9 games using the DX9 features at a resonable
speed. All benchmarks whether of DX9 or DX8 or DX7 have shown that
they are way to slow to be considered suitable for DX9 games. This is
not NEWS. It is ancient history. These cards just don't cut it. If you
still don't get it, the benchmarks etc i.e. performance matters not
the model numbers or the price or the core and memory speeds. The 5600
line and 5200 line have been shown to be slow cards for a long time
now. Just because the 5600 cards were selling at 9600 prices doesn't
mean they were expected to perform at 9600 speeds. If you all had
bothered to analyse all the reliable reviews etc you would have
realised this was a fact a long time ago. If it took you until HL2 to
be convinced, you were too much of a Nvidia fan. i suggest you go to
your local brand name anonymous.