How GT 520 auto detect VGA,HDMI,DVI device ? Is there manual override ?

Old May 6th 19, 10:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default How GT 520 auto detect VGA,HDMI,DVI device ? Is there manual override ?

How does the GT 520 auto-detect the connected the device ?

It has 3 connectors: VGA, HDMI and DVI.

What I want to do is:

1. Use VGA always for monitor.
2. Use HDMI only for audio connection to receiver.

Problem with this setup is that GT 520 believes receiver to be a monitor and switches to it automatically on boot, with different/weird results, either no screen, or bad screen.

Only pulling out HDMI cable and rebooting will restore screen to VGA.

I have not yet tried the following solution:

1. Use DVI for monitor.
2. Use HDMI for receiver.

What would happen in this scenerio ?

I could not perform this experiment cause I didn't think of it at the time and the nvidia driver installation failed, complaining about some wizard already running after reboot which was kinda weird.

I installed an older driver over a newer driver (gt 1030).

I have now replaced the GT 520 by the GT 1030 and will attempt to re-install latest GT 1030 driver.

Hopefully this time it will work.

I would still like to know how GT 520 does auto-detect and if it's somehow possible to force it to always use VGA or always use DVI... instead of having to revert to physical solutions like yanking/plugging high-powered hdmi cables and rebooting.

For now I assume this forcing/manual selection of display device is not possible but please enlightening me if I am wrong.

(System uses a socket 939 winfast motherboard which only supports one graphics card in normal mode unfortunately... would have liked to use both cards for experimenting purposes and maybe even cuda-ing sometime in future.... perhaps it's the build in sli-card-link thing that causes this not sure).

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 28th 19, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
King Beowulf[_3_]

On Mon, 06 May 2019 14:13:03 -0700, skybuck2000 wrote:

How does the GT 520 auto-detect the connected the device ?

It has 3 connectors: VGA, HDMI and DVI.

What I want to do is:

1. Use VGA always for monitor.
2. Use HDMI only for audio connection to receiver.

Problem with this setup is that GT 520 believes receiver to be a monitor
and switches to it automatically on boot, with different/weird results,
either no screen, or bad screen.

....snip...

The "manual override" is to specify what port is to be used for which X
screen. This is "easy" with the proprietary nvidia blob, might be more
difficult is you are using nouveau or nv. For example, I have a 4K
monitor on a GTX1060 and 2 1080p monitors on a GTX660 (both on same linux
box). I use the "metamode" option to specify the output. For example:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Stereo" "0"
Option "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-6"
Option "metamodes" "3840x2160_60 +0+0
{AllowGSYNCCompatible=On}; nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
Option "SLI" "Off"
Option "MultiGPU" "Off"
Option "BaseMosaic" "off"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Device1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Stereo" "0"
Option "metamodes" "DVI-I-1: 1920x1080_60 +0+0
{AllowGSYNC=Off}; DVI-I-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
Option "SLI" "Off"
Option "MultiGPU" "Off"
Option "BaseMosaic" "off"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen2"
Device "Device2"
Monitor "Monitor2"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Stereo" "0"
Option "metamodes" "DVI-D-0: 1920x1080_60 +0+0
{AllowGSYNC=Off}"
Option "SLI" "Off"
Option "MultiGPU" "Off"
Option "BaseMosaic" "off"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
Old May 28th 19, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
King Beowulf[_3_]

On Tue, 28 May 2019 00:54:10 +0000, King Beowulf wrote:

On Mon, 06 May 2019 14:13:03 -0700, skybuck2000 wrote:

How does the GT 520 auto-detect the connected the device ?

It has 3 connectors: VGA, HDMI and DVI.

What I want to do is:

1. Use VGA always for monitor.
2. Use HDMI only for audio connection to receiver.

Problem with this setup is that GT 520 believes receiver to be a
monitor and switches to it automatically on boot, with different/weird
results, either no screen, or bad screen.

...snip...

The "manual override" is to specify what port is to be used for which X
screen.

....snip...

Sorry, was in Linux groups for a while today. The Windows nvidia driver
can also specify with monitor to use for which output. You may have to
activate advanced settings. It been a long while. Just boot via VGA,
then plug in HDMI, and configure as needed.

Next, you will also have to check the BIOS for default video output. Not
all motherboards have this.

Old July 22nd 19, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Shinnokxz[_2_]

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 3:13:04 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Problem with this setup is that GT 520 believes receiver to be a monitor and switches to it automatically on boot, with different/weird results, either no screen, or bad screen.

The issue is an agelong tale where Microsoft is only just starting to work around. Default output device support. In essence you would think that being able to route different audio output to different hardware would be a no brainer, but this has always been a foregone problem. I use CheVolume to 'mix' my sounds (stuff in my headphones, browser over the the TV, etc.)

Some software, games, has the ability to recognize individual sound outputs and you can nip it in the bud there. But all the mainstream software like web browsers will always use your default device.