Multiple Apps Abending?

Old June 15th 13, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Default Multiple Apps Abending?

EP45-UD3L Running 32-bit XP.

Chrome's going out the window on a regular basis.

My IP cam server is biting the big one almost from minute-to-minute.

Avast abends when trying to install DB updates.

I'd upload some screen snaps, but I can't even get Chrome to stay around
long enough, IE is throwing weird errors, and FireFox says the Picassa
link (https://picasaweb.google.com/home) cannot be opened bco
redirection problems.

Chrome is saying "The instruction at "0x01c6fd74" referenced memory at
"0x0bc5b000". The memory could not be "written".

Avast setup says "...unknown exception (x0x000417) occurred in the
application at location 0x00508aac".

Attempt to re-install Avast throws "...error 0(0000000000) has occurred.
Last performed operation was: spawning". The installer has been DL/d
twice... same results.

Re-imaged from a known good image, but the problems persist.

I'm thinking it must be hardware.

Found the IP cam server was causing high core temps (60c+) so I disabled
it. Core temps fell into the thirties, but the other abends persist.

Can anybody see a familiar pattern here?

Maybe some sort of heat-related damage from the Cam server and extended
periods of 60+ core temps?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old June 15th 13, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

You'd go back to basic principles. Start testing the hardware.

http://www.memtest.org (half way down the web page, downloads)

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft (prime95, run in stress test mode)

For memtest86+, you run that for one pass, in the interest of time.
If there are really bad problems, they may show in the first pass.
The test isn't that stressful for the system - I've never seen
anything overheat by doing such testing. When I had RAM problems, they
might show during test #5.

The Prime95, when it starts, you can either "Join GIMPs" or "Just Testing".
The stress test in there, starts a thread per physical or virtual core.
If even a single error occurs, a test thread will stop. You can set
the amount of memory to test (up to a point). It depends on whether
you're set up for the 32 bit or the 64 bit version, as to what kind
of coverage you can get. With the 32 bit edition, on occasion
I've set up more than one copy running, to cover all the memory.
If you unzip Prime95 into separate folders (one folder per intended
test client), that's how you can have multiple copies running. For
example, if you had a quad core, and 4GB of RAM, you could start
four copies of the program running, specify a single test thread
per copy, specify 1000MB of memory for each one. Then, each test
program is handling its own quadrant of memory. You must adjust
memory size, so as to not run the machine into paging out, so there
will be a small reserve of memory you should leave untouched.

Prime95 runs under Windows or Linux. You consider using the Linux case,
to eliminate the OS or malware as an issue. If you boot a Linux LiveCD,
use the web browser in Linux to go to mersenne.org and get the software,
you can run the stress test that way. Using Linux, eliminates root kits
or malware on the Windows install, as a cause.

You can get an offline AV scanner as well. The Kaspersky scanner is
a boot CD, which can be used to scan the Windows partition (while
Windows is not running).

http://support.kaspersky.com/8092

"Iso image of Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 (237 MB)"

That will fit on a CD. It's a copy of Gentoo Linux, plus a set
of AV definition files and the kav.exe scanning program. When you
boot that, accept the license prompt (likely, type "1"). When the
GUI comes up, you can select "Update", to have the application
visit the Kaspersky site, and get AV definition updates. The
updates take a while, if your CD copy is really old. Runtime
is 2 hours for a 45GB set of system files.

To test it is working, you can download a copy of the EICAR
test file. Even the AV you currently have on the machine,
should "squeak" when it sees this. It's a simple file,
with a single line worth of bytes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eicar

So there's a few toys to play with.

*******

Your processor is protected from thermal events, by the design
of the processor. The throttle temperature might be anywhere from
85C to 100C, and the processor will slow itself down, in an attempt
to compensate for cooling issues. It the temperature continues to
climb, THERMTRIP will simply turn off the PC power, in mid session
(a dirty shutdown, bad for file system).

An operating temperature of 60C is fine. For some processor families,
it is recommended to improve cooling, if peak compute causes 65C
temp. This is based on stability criterion as much as anything. I
expect the Intel processor to be stable past 65C. So I'm not going
to let your processor off the hook, based on current symptom
description. Processors are extremely reliable, and for the last
ten years or so, have become well protected.

The Throttle bit, can actually be observed at runtime. This article
shows how the RMClock program will show the state of the throttle
bit, after cooling is reduced.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/cpu/in...res-core2.html

And RMClock itself is available here.

http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml

*******

When you leave a server running on the Internet, it's only
a matter of time before it'll get "tipped over". Security is
a never-ending challenge, and if somebody can send a packet
to cause a stack overflow on the machine and break in, then
somebody is going to try that. The Internet "leaves no stone unturned"
when it comes to security. I'm willing to bet, that even IP
cameras have exploits. Just as home routers have exploits.
(My old ISP, the rental ADSL modem was a security nightmare.
But the ISP was smart enough, to push out the firmware updates
that block those holes. In that case, it was a good thing the
exploits were known, as at least the easy ones had been fixed.)

That's why I'm recommending the offline Kaspersky scan, just
in case. Even that isn't a complete security analysis. But
it's a start. Kaspersky can even detect certain rootkits.

Paul