Configuring a mSATA mini SSD + 1 SSD + 1 HDD on a GA-Z77-D3H

Old December 4th 12, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Default Configuring a mSATA mini SSD + 1 SSD + 1 HDD on a GA-Z77-D3H

DevilsPGD wrote:
In the last episode of , Paul
said:

Personally, I'd be more curious what is going to happen when the
x64 version of CHHDSK begins to run. Open Resource Monitor
and watch the fun. It seems to stop, before it runs out
of memory, but on my Windows 7 laptop, it tended to "squeeze"
discretionary memory from other running tasks. You'd want to
run CHKDSK on a big enough NTFS partition, something with
lots of files, so the run doesn't stop before the fun is done.

CHKDSK may easily be one of those applications that reserves a huge
amount of memory before it's needed because of potential failures if RAM
is unavailable on short notice.

But I can't speak to whether that's actually true or not.

The application is just stupidly designed, but hey, that's just
my opinion. Unless a machine has dropped to a "single-user"
configuration, where you're absolutely sure about resource
usage and what is safe, you shouldn't be doing that. It's
not like the memory is used in an intelligent fashion.
It's abusive, since the OS has a file system cache, which works
perfectly well, and is transparent to other RAM requests (it
backs off if there is any memory pressure at all). You could
use the properties of the file system cache, get to use
virtually all of the system memory for file caching, and
still offer memory instantly to any other application running
at the time that needs it. That preserves the responsiveness
of the machine, under any circumstances. Why they insist on
privately managing all of that "scratchpad" of memory, is
beyond me. One user reported it used 15GB of 16GB or so,
to give some idea how limitless it is. I couldn't test
that high on my laptop, because I have less memory than that.

I only researched the issue, and found a workaround, because
people had complained about slow speeds. If you manage to
use the x32 version of CHKDSK, it can't gulp down all the
memory on a 16GB machine. That was the easiest fix I could find.

Paul
Old December 4th 12, 07:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
DevilsPGD[_5_]

In the last episode of , Paul
said:

[...]

Requesting a bunch of otherwise-unused RAM is perfectly safe and
harmless with a properly configured pagefile since the pagefile will
back the RAM allocation requests and RAM will only be assigned if
needed.

--
The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their own.