Screen resolution is 1928 x 1208 instead of 1920 x 1200

Old January 20th 11, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Homer Jay Simpson[_3_]

Default Screen resolution is 1928 x 1208 instead of 1920 x 1200

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
As I have a 512 MB nVIDIA GeoForce 8800GTI did post here about the
following problem a few months ago, but it remains unsolved. It was
suggested then by someone that it was probably a hardware problem. Posting
in a couple of hardware groups yesterday, I've had suggestions that it's
probably a software or graphics card driver problem!

Anyway, I'm now finally fed up with it and determined to find a fix. Hence
my repeat post here for any further advice please.

--------------------

I have an XP Pro with a Iiyama Prolite E2403WS 24" widescreen monitor,
connected with the recommended DVI input. Screen resolution is set in the
usual way to 1920 x 1200. But for any maximised window the actual size is
1928 x 1208 and the position is always -4,-4.

You can't adjust it with the physical monitor settings, which is only
possible for analog connection mode, not DVI.

Under Properties, the driver for the monitor is shown as
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color\PLE2403WS. ICM

I tried updating that but it made no difference.

My nVidia driver is pretty recent, and anyway the problem has been present
for nearly 3 years, across several versions.
FWIW, here's an extract from Software information in the nVidia control
panel:
Performance: 6.02.15
nForce package version: Not reported
nForce networking: 67.67 (1.00.02.06767)
GeForce video: 257.21 (6.14.12.5721)
nForce IDE: 9.98 (5.10.2600.0998)
nForce audio: Not reported
Microsoft DirectX: 9.0c (5.3.260 .2180)

I also tried changing from '1920 x 1200(Native)' to 1920 x 1200 custom in
the nVidia Control Panel, using the Customise option. No difference. I
then even tried 1912 x 1192 to see if I could 'compensate' for those extra
8 px that appear to be getting added. But it wouldn't stick. Gone back to
'native' 1900 x 1200.

I've also emailed Iiyama Support again, as the monitor is just still
inside its 3-year warranty period.

Any help in discovering where those extra 8 horizontal and vertical pixels
are coming from, and removing them, would be much appreciated please.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

The PLE2403WS.ICM file is not a driver it is an Image Color Matching profile
for the monitor. Updating this file will change nothing in helping you to
resolve your problem.

The three files that make up the driver package for your monitor a
ple2403ws.cat
PLE2403WS.ICM
PLE2403WS.INF

When you right-click on the PLE2403WS.INF file and select Install from the
context menu this should install the drivers.

Check Device Manager -- Monitors -- your monitor properties -- Driver
tab to determine if your monitor is using the iiyama driver. Click on the
Update Driver... button if it isn't.

Use the Hardware Update Wizard by clicking on the No, not this time radio
button -- Next -- Install from a list or specific location
(Advanced) -- Next -- Don't search. I will choose the driver to
install. -- Next

Do you see your particular monitor model listed? If not then uncheck the
Show compatible hardware check box.

Select Iiyama from the Manufacturer list and your exact model from the Model
list and click on the Have Disk... button. In the Install From Disk window
navigate to the drive and directory where the drivers for your monitor
reside and click on the OK button.

Old January 20th 11, 01:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

"Homer Jay Simpson" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks, appreciate your help.

I managed to update to latest drivers OK.

But I've just had advice from a hardware newsgroup that this is standard
Windows behaviour. The rationale suggested is that this is to hide the
window edges. If so, my problem has vanished!

I'm very surprised I've never realised this in the last couple of decades!
Mainly because for most of that time I was using CRT monitors, I suppose.
But also I've recently started using macros, where pixel positions can be
critical, and I'm regularly displaying the size and position of windows.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK