EP35C-DS3R memory overvoltage control

Old October 20th 09, 12:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Hueyduck[_3_]

Default EP35C-DS3R memory overvoltage control

Hi everyone,

I'm currently tracking the reason for memory errors in my system (1
error after 1500% testing by memtest under windows).

This set of memory sticks is installed:
F2-8500CL5D-GGBPK
G.skill DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 2048 x 2 CL5-5-5- 15 2.0-2.1V

Under the BIOS "PC Helth Status", I read
DDR2/DDR3 Voltage 2.032V = this is normal

In the BIOS, I go to "MB Intelligent tweaker"
DRAM Timing is on auto and gives 5-5-5-15== that's normal.

*BUT*
at the end of the MB intellibngent tweker settings, there are the:
"system voltage control" wich are set on Auto:

the DDR/DDR3 OverVoltage Control is set to +0.2V
With a big fat red comment on the right pannel saying "Warning: Voltages
may be raised for optimizing overclock".

I just want my system to ba stable, so I will go unde r the manual
volatge control and set the DDR2 overvoltage control to "normal".

And then I have 2 questions:

Is it possible that this setting is the only cause of my problem (memory
errors)?

How can a default setting be unsecure?

Anyway, I will lauch a new test and let you know how it went. Might be
useful for someone else.

Huey

Old October 20th 09, 12:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Hueyduck[_3_]

Hueyduck a écrit :

the DDR/DDR3 OverVoltage Control is set to +0.2V
With a big fat red comment on the right pannel saying "Warning: Voltages
may be raised for optimizing overclock".

I just want my system to ba stable, so I will go unde r the manual
volatge control and set the DDR2 overvoltage control to "normal".

Just to be precise:
now that I have set the overvoltage to "normal", the DDR2 voltage is 1.936V
But the bow of the memory sticks recommend settings from 2.0 to 2.1V.

Is there something wrong with being a little lower than 2.0V (in my
case 1.936V)?

Huey
Old October 26th 09, 11:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
JK

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:01:35 +0200, Hueyduck
wrote:

[...]

Your dilemma is caused by that your Gskill needs 2.0-2.1 volt. Nominal
standard voltage for DDR2 is just 1.8 volt. But many brands require
more than 1.8, per example corsair. Kingston value ram can run with
1.8 volt. If I were you I would give the ram no less than 2.1 volt.
An overvoltage of 0.1 volt is a very modest overclocking, and you
reach that on 2.2 in your case.
If you insist on 1.93 volt you might have to lower the timings to
something slower than 5-5-5-15, or lower the speed to below 1066 (266
x 4), per example 800.
CPU-z can tell something about how ram runs. Download cpu-z.
You are lucky that your motherboard can find out to boot with your
ram. In the beginning of the DDR2 era this was a problem. They could
only boot default with 1.8, and how do you increase voltage without a
bios to set it in.

I have the very same motherboard. I use muskin ram, and runs 800. I
never loved the motherboard, since it is not willing to run with 4
sticks of these. So I am stucked at 2x2 Gb. It reboots continuously in
a cycle with 4 sticks (bios trying to find a compromise).
I have tried also asus and msi P35 chipset variants, and they wouldn't
either.
It is probably a P35 limitation. But with AMD I have no problem: 4x2
Gb.

best regards

John
Old October 29th 09, 08:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
jk

I should add that I just flashed the F4 bios from 06/18/09.

Then added 2 x 2 Gb Kingston value ram PC2 6400 ram sticks additional
to Mushkin 2 x 2 Gb PC2 6400 ram sticks. It booted and runs fine in
dual ram mode with these 8 Gb.

Just ideal for windows 7,64 bits version !

I am happy again.

I am not certain if it is the F4 bios, or the kingston ram. But
previously with 4 mushkin sticks it would never boot.

best regards

John
Old November 2nd 09, 09:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Hueyduck[_3_]

jk a écrit :
I should add that I just flashed the F4 bios from 06/18/09.

Then added 2 x 2 Gb Kingston value ram PC2 6400 ram sticks additional
to Mushkin 2 x 2 Gb PC2 6400 ram sticks. It booted and runs fine in
dual ram mode with these 8 Gb.

Just ideal for windows 7,64 bits version !

I am happy again.

I am not certain if it is the F4 bios, or the kingston ram. But
previously with 4 mushkin sticks it would never boot.

Thanks for sharing.
I haven't updated my BIOS since I bought the card 1 year ago. It might
be helpfull.

Huey