WIN 7 Major USB Hardware Incompatibilities ?

Old February 22nd 10, 12:45 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Nil[_3_]

Default WIN 7 Major USB Hardware Incompatibilities ?

On 20 Feb 2010, "Trimble Bracegirdle" wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

BUT I have a number of USB Hardware devices that are fine under
XP ... THAT MUST FOR ME, WORK ! in Win 7 & won't

a USB ADSL MODEM ... a USB DIGITAL TV Box ...A USB SCANNER ...a
USB GRAPHIC TABLET ..

Scanners are always the first things to be abandoned by driver writers
if it doesn't work now, I doubt it ever will. Especially for a 64-bit
OS - I think separate drivers are needed, I believe.

The hardware manufacturers are responsible for drivers, not Microsoft.
I wouldn't call it a a hardware incompatibility, not a "Win 7"
incompatibility.

I tried Vista out (& did not like it) some time ago, same machine,
& these Devices were all OK.

But was it 64-bit Vista? If not, I bet these devices wouldn't have
worked there, either.

A quick web search finds quite a few suggested remedies for similar
problems - installing the drivers as Administrator, updating the
motherboard chipset driver and/or BIOS, etc. So, there may be a
workaround.
Old February 22nd 10, 12:22 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
mike

Nil wrote:
On 20 Feb 2010, "Trimble Bracegirdle" wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

BUT I have a number of USB Hardware devices that are fine under
XP ... THAT MUST FOR ME, WORK ! in Win 7 & won't

a USB ADSL MODEM ... a USB DIGITAL TV Box ...A USB SCANNER ...a
USB GRAPHIC TABLET ..

Scanners are always the first things to be abandoned by driver writers
if it doesn't work now, I doubt it ever will. Especially for a 64-bit
OS - I think separate drivers are needed, I believe.

The hardware manufacturers are responsible for drivers, not Microsoft.
I wouldn't call it a a hardware incompatibility, not a "Win 7"
incompatibility.

It's Microsoft's responsibility to make their new OS compatible with the
hardware I already have. I'm sure they have a lot of excuses.
I don't want excuses. I want my (*(*& hardware to continue to work!!!
It may not support new features, but it should do at least what it used
to do.
Period!!!
Microsoft has let us down in that area. Sorry for any inconvenience,
my A$$.

Old February 22nd 10, 05:13 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Maurice Batey[_2_]

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:37:03 -0500, SC Tom wrote:

Why do you consider it "crippled"?

Not my description! Was used by other W7 users in another forum,
probably because various options are missing here and there.

--
/\/\aurice

Old February 22nd 10, 05:16 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Maurice Batey[_2_]

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:06:20 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

Guess the Boot-US code is trying to do something dodgy...

Found nothing relevant in a search on sysinternals.com.

Turns out the Boot-US code *was* doing something dodgy.
A corrected version now happily writes the diskette.

Windows 7 exonerated...

--
/\/\aurice

Old February 22nd 10, 06:32 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Al Smith

mike wrote:

It's Microsoft's responsibility to make their new OS compatible with the
hardware I already have. I'm sure they have a lot of excuses.
I don't want excuses. I want my (*(*& hardware to continue to work!!!
It may not support new features, but it should do at least what it used
to do.
Period!!!
Microsoft has let us down in that area. Sorry for any inconvenience,
my A$$.

Tell me about it. I've got a perfectly good Epson Perfection Photo
1260 flatbed scanner, and it won't run under Windows 7 x64. No
driver for it. Epson can't be bothered writing one, and Microsoft
just doesn't care.

-Al-
Old February 22nd 10, 06:46 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Frank

Al Smith wrote:
mike wrote:

It's Microsoft's responsibility to make their new OS compatible with the
hardware I already have. I'm sure they have a lot of excuses.
I don't want excuses. I want my (*(*& hardware to continue to work!!!
It may not support new features, but it should do at least what it used
to do.
Period!!!
Microsoft has let us down in that area. Sorry for any inconvenience,
my A$$.

Tell me about it. I've got a perfectly good Epson Perfection Photo 1260
flatbed scanner, and it won't run under Windows 7 x64. No driver for it.
Epson can't be bothered writing one, and Microsoft just doesn't care.

-Al-

Hummm...MS has nothing to do with Epson drivers.
Old February 22nd 10, 08:17 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
SC Tom

"Al Smith" wrote in message
mike wrote:

It's Microsoft's responsibility to make their new OS compatible with the
hardware I already have. I'm sure they have a lot of excuses.
I don't want excuses. I want my (*(*& hardware to continue to work!!!
It may not support new features, but it should do at least what it used
to do.
Period!!!
Microsoft has let us down in that area. Sorry for any inconvenience,
my A$$.

Tell me about it. I've got a perfectly good Epson Perfection Photo 1260
flatbed scanner, and it won't run under Windows 7 x64. No driver for it.
Epson can't be bothered writing one, and Microsoft just doesn't care.

-Al-

I feel for you and Mike, really I do, but I still don't see where it would
be Microsoft's responsibility to insure that every single piece of hardware
out there, no matter how old(?), would be compatible with it. If people
think it's expensive now, imagine what that would do to the cost! If it was
even possible to pull it off.
And why should Microsoft care about Epson? Or HP, or Lexmark, or any of
them? None of them obviously care for Microsoft, or the end user's problems
with their proprietary software. I had an older HP printer that I loved
since it would handle letter and ANSI B size drawings, but when I went to
XP, HP didn't. I could still print and plot using the XP generic driver for
it, but HP never came out with an update, and the printer was only 2, 2-1/2
years old at the time XP came out. I lost a little of the versatility of the
printer, but I still don't think that was XP's fault.
But, that's just me. . .
--
SC Tom

Old February 22nd 10, 09:05 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Zaidy036

In article ,
says...

mike wrote:

It's Microsoft's responsibility to make their new OS compatible with the
hardware I already have. I'm sure they have a lot of excuses.
I don't want excuses. I want my (*(*& hardware to continue to work!!!
It may not support new features, but it should do at least what it used
to do.
Period!!!
Microsoft has let us down in that area. Sorry for any inconvenience,
my A$$.

Tell me about it. I've got a perfectly good Epson Perfection Photo
1260 flatbed scanner, and it won't run under Windows 7 x64. No
driver for it. Epson can't be bothered writing one, and Microsoft
just doesn't care.

-Al-

I found one for my 1650 Scanner that works great.

So look he (this is one very long URL)

http://www.kvaz.com/index.php?q=epso...1260+vista+x64
+driver.rar&search2=Search+files!&stype=all&S1=%3C a+target%3D%22_blank%
22+href%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kvaz.com%22%
3EThe+best+Rapidshare+Search+Engine+for+epson+perf ection+1650+vista+x64
+driver.rar+-+over+12+488+551+links!%3C%2Fa%3E&forum=[url%3Dhttp%3A%2F%
2Fwww.kvaz.com%2Ffile_epson%2Bperfection%2B1650%2B vista%2Bx64%
2Bdriver.rar.html]epson+perfection+1650+vista+x64+driver.rar[%2Furl]
&forum=%3Ca+href%3D%27http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kvaz.com%2F file_epson%
2Bperfection%2B1650%2Bvista%2Bx64%2Bdriver.rar.htm l%27+title%3D%
27epson+perfection+1650+vista+x64+driver.rar%27%3E epson+perfection+1650
+vista+x64+driver.rar%3C%2Fa%3E&forum=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.kvaz.com%
2Ffile_epson%2Bperfection%2B1650%2Bvista%2Bx64%2Bd river.rar.html
Old February 22nd 10, 09:18 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Nil[_3_]

On 22 Feb 2010, mike wrote in alt.windows7.general:

It's Microsoft's responsibility to make their new OS compatible
with the hardware I already have. I'm sure they have a lot of
excuses. I don't want excuses. I want my (*(*& hardware to
continue to work!!! It may not support new features, but it should
do at least what it used to do.
Period!!!

Sorry, but you're living in a fantasy world - that's not the way it
goes. Unless Microsoft makes an explicit claim that a certain piece of
hardware will work, out-of-the-box with Windows, then it's up to the
manufacturer to supply the device driver. That's the way it has ALWAYS
worked with EVERY version of Windows. That's probably the way it will
always work. Get used to it... and urge the hardware vendor to release
updated drivers. You're more liable to get results doing that than
complaining here or to Microsoft.

I just built myself this handy dandy digital butt-scratcher with a USB
interface. Do you suppose Windows 7 supports it?
Old February 22nd 10, 09:53 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Dave[_44_]

"Nil" wrote in message
On 22 Feb 2010, mike wrote in alt.windows7.general:

snip
I just built myself this handy dandy digital butt-scratcher with a USB
interface. Do you suppose Windows 7 supports it?

I hope so and I want one. :-D

What is better Athlon XP or Athlon 64 ? Binary incompatibilities ? Jason Stacy Asus Motherboards 0 January 6th 07 06:39 PM
Major hardware problems - fans shutting down - overheating loreleibansidhe Homebuilt PC's 4 September 22nd 06 05:58 PM
major problem code_wrong General 0 November 12th 05 02:17 PM
Adding Memory Incompatibilities. Reality or nightmare? Tomás Ortí Martín Dell Computers 30 June 6th 04 04:55 AM
EBUYER: Site incompatibilities M@ UK Computer Vendors 1 January 21st 04 08:50 AM