ATI Radeon video card(s) causing Sims 3 Hair and folage major havoc

Old August 20th 09, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Dr. Richard Cranium

Default ATI Radeon video card(s) causing Sims 3 Hair and folage major havoc

I've been playing the Sims 3 since it was released.

I have two copies (registered at ea) and my two game machines

have an 1GB DDR5 Diamond ATI Radeon HD 4890 XOC , Ruby Edition

and a DIAMOND ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 PCIE 2048MB GDDR5 Video Card.

I've been having video problems with the foliage being a big square graphics
block with day-glo brilliant fuzz coloring.

My characters have hair that looks like it is always transparent.

So what you see only in the normal intensity is the skull cap Maxis defaults
to or something.

For some reason the braided hair and the side pony tails that hang over the
shoulders in front worked okay.

I've gone backwards in driver release numbers. No help. Last night I up
graded to the

ATI 9.8's since the release notes do discuss a Sims 3 menu fix issue.

upon install completion the video display was back to 640x480

(i haven't seen ATI wipe the 1900x1200 16:10 screen resolution in many
moons) I was hopeful.

Then after the subsequent reboot, I fired off the Sims 3.

the sims 3 was now 640x480. I went into options to adjust back to 1900x1200
16:10.

Maxis popped me up a window and wanted a decision about "edge scrolling" on
or off.

I clicked on "on".

The Sims 3 game came up just fine.

Every hair was in place on every character and displayed properly. Each and
every tree displayed in the proper resolution.

cool beans !!

I played for a while (couple of hours) then saved out the game.

Rebooted, and went back into the Sims 3. There was the hair and tree
corruption !! drat !

So I went back into options and clicked "off" the edge scrolling. poof !
Game back to displaying hair and trees correctly.

go figure. I don't really care about edge scrolling since Final Fantasy XI
doesn't really use it.

SO I figure I just need to toggle between "edge scrolling" on if it is off,
and off if it is on. I could most likely just toggle twice to where edge
scrolling is back on.

Strangest problem I've seen ATI have with their video cards. I would suggest
it you have these kinds of ATI video problems then just try toggling edge
scrolling on/off on earlier versions on the ATI video drivers. ( i am
certainly not going to install a previous version to check this out LOL).

This last night after reading the various forums about ATI and Sims 3 around
the known internet galaxy.

I thought the problem was ATI's implementation of Direct X 10 and some
cosmic screen rendering at 1900x1200.

Hope this helps,

** no fate **

dracman

http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.com/walleweb/wall-E.html

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old August 20th 09, 09:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

It's more of a problem with Sims3 than with ATI. Have you downloaded and
installed the service packs for Sims3? (There are more details in the Sims
newsgroup (not the Sims2 group and there is no group for Sims3!).
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Dr. Richard Cranium" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

.................................................. ..............
at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old August 21st 09, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Dr. Richard Cranium

[...]

Hello me,

Well last night try as i might, i could not get the corruption to go away
(as mentioned above) using the "edge scroll" checkbox - drat EVEN with
pushing on the checkbox with my finger (some might say.. that was a poke).
LOL. Guess i do not have a touch screen.
Okay, so I found that THIS TIME Mr. ATI, or Mr. Maxis -- changing (toggling)
my screen from default to 60hz (either direction) would then clear up all my
graphics ! go figure.
I am really just glad something works !

** no fate **

dracman

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old August 21st 09, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Dr. Richard Cranium

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
It's more of a problem with Sims3 than with ATI. Have you downloaded and
installed the service packs for Sims3? (There are more details in the
Sims newsgroup (not the Sims2 group and there is no group for Sims3!).
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

I have the newest patch from Sims3 and the newest ATI drivers 9 point 8's.

I do not discount even the - HP w2408h 24-inch Vivid Color Widescreen Flat
Panel Monitor
- 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz resolution, 0.282 mm dot pitch
could be at fault.
The HP monitor reports that it can support 1900x1200x75 hz and the ATI
driver/video card reports it can support 59 or 60hz at that resolution.
I think that with "edge scrolling" on, the Sims 3 game is setting the ATI
card up to render even larger screens like 2500x1200 for scrolling left and
right.. Unless the ATI card is that fast and just stamps out each 1900x1200
screen as the mouse cursor pans.

I think HD and direct X 10 + might be a moving target these days, and ATI
and The Sims3 are out of sync for the requirements. Which is what you said.

As long as I can correct the screen corruption in the Maxis options panel -
I am good with that.

Thanks for jumping in with help for me.

** no fate **

dracman

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old July 4th 12, 02:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

On Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:28:12 PM UTC-4, Dr. Richard Cranium wrote:
[...]

This problem my very well be in your computer, and not your graphics card. I use the ATI Raedon 5570 graphics card in one PC and the ATI Raedon 3000 graphics card in this, my second, back up computer. My graphics are beautiful. All of the on screen imagery is sharp, and crystal clear. Even the tiniest details of the game, such as those little bees that flit from flower to flower in my flowerbed, the gentle sway of the trees, and the subtle movement of the water in ponds and swimming pools are visible and a pleasure to watch. It can't be ATI's graphics cards, because I have these wonderful effects even with the humble 3000 series graphics card.You should get your computer a thorough check up.