Asus Striker Extreme - Q6850 - Overclock options

Old February 3rd 08, 01:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
John Hellingsworth

Default Asus Striker Extreme - Q6850 - Overclock options

Hi

Asus Striker Extreme Bios 1305
Intel Conroe QX6850 3Ghz
4gb Corsair XMS2 DDRII 800 - PC 6400 C5DHX (being recognised as 2.5gb)
2x BFG 8800 Ultras
Antec 900 case (5x fans)
Antec Quattro 1000w PSU

Recently got the above system.
I'm looking to overclock withon reasonable rates... and have very little
expertise in the subject.
Looking in bios everything seems to have been set up on "auto".
When the system boots it shows the following memory settings:-
800Mhz Tcl:5 Trcd:5 Trp:5 Tras:18 - which seem to be the correct
settings on the Corsair site

I've tried overclocking using the AI overclock facility in bios (about all
I'm capable of doing!)... at 15%. (3.29Ghz)
After a while the system seems to become unstable.
I have however noticed that on boot up the memory settings have changed to
5:6:6:20 respectively. Should I manualy change these settings back to the
original 5:5:5:18 ?
Any advice or other hints in respect to overclocking would be appreciated

Thanks
John Hellingsworth

Old February 3rd 08, 04:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'John Hellingsworth'
| Asus Striker Extreme Bios 1305
| Intel Conroe QX6850 3Ghz
| 4gb Corsair XMS2 DDRII 800 - PC 6400 C5DHX (being recognised as 2.5gb)
| 2x BFG 8800 Ultras
| Antec 900 case (5x fans)
| Antec Quattro 1000w PSU
|
| Recently got the above system.
| I'm looking to overclock withon reasonable rates... and have very little
| expertise in the subject.
| Looking in bios everything seems to have been set up on "auto".
| When the system boots it shows the following memory settings:-
| 800Mhz Tcl:5 Trcd:5 Trp:5 Tras:18 - which seem to be the correct
| settings on the Corsair site
|
| I've tried overclocking using the AI overclock facility in bios (about all
| I'm capable of doing!)... at 15%. (3.29Ghz)
| After a while the system seems to become unstable.
| I have however noticed that on boot up the memory settings have changed to
| 5:6:6:20 respectively. Should I manualy change these settings back to the
| original 5:5:5:18 ?
| Any advice or other hints in respect to overclocking would be appreciated
_____

Automatic overclocking applets don't seem to work well, from ANY
manufacturer.

As for advice on how to overclock, well, read the posts in this newsgroup.
Some posts go into specific details, some described the methodology of
overclocking Intel CPUs. Something you should have done, perhaps, before
laying out ~ $1000 US for a CPU and pairing it with 4 GBytes of cheap
memory.

You haven't mentioned what operating system you are using, but do you
realize that you don't get much benefit from 4 GBytes of RAM with a 32-bit
operating system, right? That's why your system is recognizing only 2.5
GBytes. Also, you don't indicate your cooling system, nor operating
temperatures; overclocking is VERY dependant on better-than-minimum
cooling. You've got more than 500 Watts of heat being dumped into your
system case; very likely, unless you have unusually low room ambient
temperature, your overclock is being limited by heat, if nothing else.
Again, read the recent posts in this newsgroup to get an idea of what
information you need to include in your post.

Overclocking isn't very difficult, it just requires a methodical approach,
diligent but not terribly lengthy research, good notes, and experimentation.

Phil Weldon

Old February 4th 08, 08:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Daniel Albuschat

Phil Weldon schrieb:

You haven't mentioned what operating system you are using, but do you
realize that you don't get much benefit from 4 GBytes of RAM with a 32-bit
operating system, right? That's why your system is recognizing only 2.5
GBytes.

32Bit Windows operating-systems recognize ~3.2GB when you have installed
more than 3GB, not 2.5GB.

And even when the OS does not report it correctly, because it can't
handle it, it should still be reported at 4GB in the BIOS.

Regards,

Daniel Albuschat
Old February 4th 08, 01:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

Daniel Albuschat wrote:
Phil Weldon schrieb:

You haven't mentioned what operating system you are using, but do you
realize that you don't get much benefit from 4 GBytes of RAM with a
32-bit operating system, right? That's why your system is recognizing
only 2.5 GBytes.

32Bit Windows operating-systems recognize ~3.2GB when you have installed
more than 3GB, not 2.5GB.

....unless you happen to have "2x BFG 8800 Ultras" each having 768 MB of
video
memory!

Old February 4th 08, 02:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Daniel Albuschat

Fishface schrieb:
Daniel Albuschat wrote:
Phil Weldon schrieb:

You haven't mentioned what operating system you are using, but do you
realize that you don't get much benefit from 4 GBytes of RAM with a
32-bit operating system, right? That's why your system is recognizing
only 2.5 GBytes.

32Bit Windows operating-systems recognize ~3.2GB when you have installed
more than 3GB, not 2.5GB.

...unless you happen to have "2x BFG 8800 Ultras" each having 768 MB of
video memory!

Oops, you're right. I haven't noticed that little fact...