Resonance poll: Does your computer resonate ?

Old July 23rd 08, 01:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Resonance poll: Does your computer resonate ? (Chieftec mounting system resonating or the opposite ?)

Hmm,

You raise an interesting question.

Chieftec has a special mounting system for harddisks...

I wonder if this mounting system causes resonance

Or maybe not... maybe it's the opposite maybe it reduces resonance...

It's something very special/patented.

I think the resonance in the chieftec case is mostly because of the side
panel fans...
and the harddisk mounting system touching the left side panel

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 23rd 08, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Resonance poll: Does your computer resonate ? (Chieftec purple mounting system probably good)

Well according to their website the harddisk mounting system is an anti
vibration system.

So that's probably good... only bad thing is it was placed against the side
panel, causing it to vibrate after all !

^^ The irony

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 23rd 08, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Well according to their website the harddisk mounting system is an anti
vibration system.

So that's probably good... only bad thing is it was placed against the side
panel, causing it to vibrate after all !

^^ The irony

Bye,
Skybuck.

The irony is you being allowed near an open computer when you're
obviously incompetent.
Here's a suggestion - get a technician to fix your computer and then
DON'T TOUCH IT.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Old July 23rd 08, 07:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Resonance poll: Does your computer resonate ?

Ok,

I just fired up the batmobile (the dream pc).

Another cause of vibrations:

The door can starts to vibrate when it's open !

Also when one side panel is open/off the case starts vibrating as well !

(The chieftec case)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 23rd 08, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Skybuck Flying wrote:

Hello,

I wonder which setup is best to prevent a computer from resonating.

Best solution: Turn it off. Right now.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.
Old July 23rd 08, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:49:31 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

1. Does your computer resonate ? (Is there a humming sound ?)

Yes. When I bang on the case, I get B-flat. Larger cases have a
lower resonsance. You can measure the resonance with any of the PC
based audio spectrum analyzer programs such as:
http://www.sillanumsoft.org
Bang on the case with a microphone located nearby. You can tune the
resonant frequency by adding or removing metal to the case.

2. Does it have any components which are blowing against something ? (As
described above)

No. The problem is caused by the large unsupported metal surface area
of the case. Dell does it right by adding stiffeners and "coining"
the case. The added stiffness raises the self resonant frequency
sufficiently high so that the fan and HD vibrations do not turn the
case into a sounding board.

A simple yes and no will do just fine...

Yes and No.
Is that acceptable?

however if you have the time and
feel the need you can explain your answer more thoroughly if you wish to do
so.

Think about how a loudspeaker enclosure removes resonances. Do the
same with a computer case.

PC1: 80486 does not resonate, has no components blowing against something.

eWaste.

PC2: Pentium 166, does not resonate, has a little cpu fan.

More eWaste.

PC3: Pentium III 450 mhz, does not resonate, has a majesty cpu fan.

Possibly eWaste if it uses PC100 RAM. If PC133, it's probably fast
enough for email.

PC4: AMD X2 3800+, does resonate like crazy, has all kinds of fans blowing
against something...

Nice. Keep that one. More fans are a problem and are probably
un-necessary. Try this trick. Remove the case and replace it with
cellophane wrap (Seran Wrap). If you plug up any air intakes or
exhausts, remove the exess to allow air circulation. Find a cancer
candidate and have them blow some cigarette smog into the air intakes.
Watch how the air circulates. Use an optical IR thermometer to
measure the temperature of the key components. Turn off or disable a
few of the case fans. You'll probably find that the air circulation
will actually improve as you remove case fans. Watch the temp rise
carefully. When you're done, you'll probably find that only the power
supply, CPU, and possibly video fans are necessary. Incidentally,
watch the air flow around the video card. I've seen some video card
fans simply circulate the air into a loop, where the allegedly cooled
air gets sucked back into the intake, resulting in ever increasing
self heating.

If you find that you must have all the fans, making huge amount of
noise, try putting from foam or gasket material between the metal case
and where it hits the front panel. I've had to do that to some
customers machines that like to buzzzzzzz.

(cpu fan, two gpu fans, two side panel fans, power supply fan against the
top) (6 fans blowing against something wow!)
(harddisk tray touches side panel)

PC1,PC2,PC3 are big towers, on the ground, heavy cases.

eWaste.

PC4 is a midi tower, on a wooden table, lighter case... I bet if it was on
the ground it would still resonate.

Put it on a foam pad and find out. An ounce of testing is worth a
pound of speculation.

How well does your latest and greatest rig perform on the resonance scale me
wonders ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 23rd 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Nico Coesel

"Skybuck Flying" wrote:

Hello,

I wonder which setup is best to prevent a computer from resonating.

1. My theory is that "top down" coolers, which blow directly against the
motherboard might cause resonance.

I'd say take advantage of the situation. Put your girlfriend on top of
your computer and she will like it. Do you know why men buy Harley
Davidson motorcycles? Women like the vibrations produced by the
engine.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Old July 24th 08, 05:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Men who soon will have no balls left

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 24th 08, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Robert Baer[_2_]

....maybe you ATE some pine RESIN?

Old July 24th 08, 08:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Robert Baer[_2_]

Skybuck Flying wrote:

Men who soon will have no balls left

Bye,
Skybuck.

I can always borrow thousands from moths...

Resonance poll: Does your computer resonate ? Skybuck Flying[_2_] Asus Motherboards 15 July 24th 08 08:39 AM
InkJet Printer Poll John Printers 2 May 29th 07 10:29 AM
Quick Poll, how old is your computer. Bazzer Smith General 43 July 15th 06 11:57 PM
Looking for the best ATX 2.0 PSU for SLI + Monitor poll professor General 45 January 17th 06 05:34 AM
Catalyst 3.5 & Poll* files Roj Ati Videocards 0 June 26th 03 04:10 AM