CD/RW reliable or not ?

Old November 14th 04, 03:31 PM
Augusto Cardoso

Default CD/RW reliable or not ?

I'm using CD/RW for a few months now. The main purpose is to perform
application backups, once a month.
Three or four times I had problems when trying to add a new backup to
a partially filled CD/RW. The system (Win XP) hangs during the write
operation (more exactly: InCD or Nero stop responding and one can wait
forever).
Afterwards the CD has to be reinitialised.
Is this problem specific to my system or is it a known problem with
those CD/RW ?

Thanks for your help.

Old November 14th 04, 05:23 PM
Colin

"Augusto Cardoso" wrote in message
I'm using CD/RW for a few months now. The main purpose is to perform
application backups, once a month.
Three or four times I had problems when trying to add a new backup to
a partially filled CD/RW. The system (Win XP) hangs during the write
operation (more exactly: InCD or Nero stop responding and one can wait
forever).
Afterwards the CD has to be reinitialised.
Is this problem specific to my system or is it a known problem with
those CD/RW ?

Thanks for your help.

IMHO CD / RW is very unreliable I have stopped using it.
I have 4 cdrw disks that will no longer format . CDRW is useless for any
serious or vital storage.
Colin

Old November 14th 04, 11:50 PM
P Ruetz

IMHO CD / RW is very unreliable I have stopped using it.
I have 4 cdrw disks that will no longer format . CDRW is useless for any
serious or vital storage.
Colin

I have found some CD / RW discs are very unreliable when written at full
speed (e.g. 10x) but very reliable when written slower (e.g. 8x or 4x). I
tend to buy cheapo discs, so maybe name brand are better. Now I routinely
write everything at less than full speed and life got much simpler!

Peter

are SATA drives cooler to the touch than IDE? AFN General 12 October 28th 04 07:45 PM
Reliable DVD-R media? Noozer General 13 October 5th 04 02:06 AM
Is this good, reliable ram?? Fred Benz General 4 October 19th 03 01:13 PM
cd/rw drive:need one that will write cd text Tone General 0 September 27th 03 01:15 PM
cannot connect cd/r & cd/rw to same machine Bruce General 2 August 30th 03 09:59 PM