Advice please

Old April 23rd 04, 06:19 PM
Chris Walken

Default Advice please

I'd appreciate your advice regarding graphics card performance. My
previous card was a GeForce4 TI 4200 it did what it did and I didn't
worry too much about FPS etc.

A few months ago I decided to build a new system, a system that
hopefully would be a great game rig. The specs. are as follows:

P4 3.2Ghz
2Gb PC3200 400 (Dual channel)
GeForce 5950 Ultra
Seagate SATA 120 GB x2
Gigabyte mobo 800mhz FSB
(Nothing OC'ed)

I've run the trial versions of AquaMark3 and 3DMark 03 which gave the
following results:

AquaMark 3 Triscore
GFX 5,796
CPU 9,750
--------------------
44,683
AquaMark settings were default: 1024x768x32, AA: off, Aniso: 4x,
Details: V. High

3DMark 03

Sco 6644
Settings: Resolution: 1024x768, Pixel processing: none, Texture
filtering: Optimal, Max Anisotropy: 4, Vertex shaders: Optimal

Sometimes during the benchmarks my FPS drops very low and certain parts
of FarCry cause my FPS to drop very low as well.

Do these benchmark scores indicate the kind of performance you would
expect from this card? Any suggestions for improving performance?

I'm new to the high end graphics card arena and would like to hear from
people with more experience.

Many thanks.
Old April 23rd 04, 06:20 PM
Danny

I've run the trial versions of AquaMark3 and 3DMark 03 which gave the
following results:

AquaMark 3 Triscore
GFX 5,796
CPU 9,750
--------------------
44,683
AquaMark settings were default: 1024x768x32, AA: off, Aniso: 4x,
Details: V. High

3DMark 03

Sco 6644
Settings: Resolution: 1024x768, Pixel processing: none, Texture
filtering: Optimal, Max Anisotropy: 4, Vertex shaders: Optimal

Sometimes during the benchmarks my FPS drops very low and certain parts
of FarCry cause my FPS to drop very low as well.

Welcome to far cry.
The fps at certain bits gets to 8fps for me.
Kinda demanding game that.

Do these benchmark scores indicate the kind of performance you would
expect from this card?

Yes.

Any suggestions for improving performance?

I'd recommend the Starstorm drivers on www.guru3d.com

I'm new to the high end graphics card arena and would like to hear from
people with more experience.

Many thanks.

Any time.

Old April 23rd 04, 07:47 PM
Danny

"Chris Walken" wrote in message
Thank you for the advice Danny. I've downloaded the X version of the
SandStorm drivers and will give them a try.

Have a good weekend.

I'd actually recommend the xq ones, but see how the x one does.
And, likwise.

Old April 23rd 04, 07:50 PM
Chris Walken

Old April 23rd 04, 07:55 PM
Chris Walken

Chris Walken wrote:
Thank you for the advice Danny. I've downloaded the X version of the
SandStorm drivers and will give them a try.

Have a good weekend.

Doh! SandStorm? What was I thinking? lol
Old April 23rd 04, 08:42 PM
Danny

Chris Walken wrote:
Thank you for the advice Danny. I've downloaded the X version of the
SandStorm drivers and will give them a try.

Have a good weekend.

Doh! SandStorm? What was I thinking? lol

If it's any consolation I didn't notice

Old April 23rd 04, 09:14 PM
Richard Dower

You've got the best system money can buy, and 2GB of RAM?
lol...slight overkill, buy hey...rumour has it DOOM III recomends 2 gigs.

Your numbers are as they should be, unless you wanna fork out another $3,000
in the coming months for a new system.

Old April 23rd 04, 10:02 PM
Chris Walken

Richard Dower wrote:

You've got the best system money can buy, and 2GB of RAM?
lol...slight overkill, buy hey...rumour has it DOOM III recomends 2 gigs.

Thanks Richard.
And I've got room for two more gigs of RAM.

Your numbers are as they should be, unless you wanna fork out another $3,000
in the coming months for a new system.

Your numbers are as they should be, unless you wanna fork out another

$3,000
in the coming months for a new system.

Yeah that would be a little insane of me but.... PCI Express and a 6800
Ultra running at 16x! Well I can dream anyway.
Old April 23rd 04, 10:07 PM
Danny

"Richard Dower" wrote in message
You've got the best system money can buy, and 2GB of RAM?

Not really - he doesn't have an XT or a 6800 Ultra.

lol...slight overkill, buy hey...rumour has it DOOM III recomends 2 gigs.

Rumour says sweet FA about Doom's requirements. They're pure conjecture at
the moment.

Your numbers are as they should be, unless you wanna fork out another

$3,000
in the coming months for a new system.

Indeed.