Which fan is best for Athlon XP 2600+

Old June 26th 03, 06:37 PM
James Walton

Default Which fan is best for Athlon XP 2600+

Which one should I buy for my Athlon XP 2600+?

(1)
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...d19wcm9kdWN0X2
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40758

(2)
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...d19wcm9kdWN0X2
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43374

Old June 26th 03, 08:35 PM
kony

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:37:10 +0100, "James Walton"
wrote:

Which one should I buy for my Athlon XP 2600+?

(1)

(2)

Not #1.

# 2 or
(if you must, for some reason, buy a Coolermaster @ ebuyer).

Dave
Old June 26th 03, 08:36 PM
James Walton

(1) Coolermaster CP5-6J31C Socket A Upto XP3000 AMD Approved
(2) Coolermaster HAC-V81 XDream Heatsink & Fan SKT A Upto Xp2800 Speed
Adjustment

"Unled" wrote in message
Those links just takes me to the site's front page.

I would recommend this;

Speeze CPU Fan Model 5F263B1M3 for AMD/Intel Socket A/370

It's $7 from newegg.com and is extremely quiet.

Old June 26th 03, 08:38 PM
WooduCoodu

if i had to pick i guess i'd say number 2 but i agree, neither would be as
good a choice as the speeze.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ion=35-150-010

Old June 26th 03, 09:20 PM
Lane Lewis

"James Walton" wrote in message
Which one should I buy for my Athlon XP 2600+?

(1)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...d19wcm9kdWN0X2
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40758

(2)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...d19wcm9kdWN0X2
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43374

Thermalright heatsink and either a papst or panaflow fan (you did want the
best right :O)

www.thermalright.com

www.newegg.com

www.directron.com

Lane

Old June 26th 03, 11:46 PM
James Walton

Isn't the HAC-V81 better because it runs at 4800rpm instead of 2500rpm and
it has 62.8CFM airflow instead of 32.11CFM?

Isn't the airflow the most important thing?

Old June 26th 03, 11:49 PM
James Walton

BTW, do you recommend I use Cooler Master Premium Thermal Compound Kit?
http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-in...quicklinx=16XH

It's cheap so I don't mind purchasing it if it improves anything.

Old June 27th 03, 12:49 AM
Tiny Tim

I have had good luck with the Speeze Falcon Rock. This cooler runs at a
slower RPM because it has a 8 CM Fan. It hardly makes any noise at all. I
put a Thermaltake Air Scoop mod between the fan and the Cooler. I am using
it with an XP2400+.

Price of the cooler was $9.00 at www.newegg.com
They were out of stock last time I checked.

Speeze is an excellent cooler, but I only like the ones with the 8 CM fan.
I hate having a 60 CM fan running at 5,000 RPM or more. There are also some
mods that can go from a 6 CM fan to a 80CM fan you might try.

Old June 27th 03, 01:08 AM
~misfit~

"James Walton" wrote in message
Which one should I buy for my Athlon XP 2600+?

(1)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...d19wcm9kdWN0X2
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40758

(2)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...d19wcm9kdWN0X2
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43374

Vantec Aeroflow.
--
~misfit~

Old June 27th 03, 01:16 AM
kony

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:46:23 +0100, "James Walton"
wrote:

Isn't the HAC-V81 better because it runs at 4800rpm instead of 2500rpm and
it has 62.8CFM airflow instead of 32.11CFM?

Isn't the airflow the most important thing?

High airflow would be noisey... if you don't mind noise then fine, but
I don't assume this. I prefer a better hunk of metal under the fan,
and the fan being a common, standard size, so if you want to replace
the fan it's easily done.

I do know that choice #1 isn't what you want, I have the "next-better"
Coolermaster 'sink in that series, a CP5-7JD1B, which isn't very good
at a Thoroughbred core, anything over an XP2100... it'll keep the
processor stable, but pretty hot, less of a temp margin than I like,
and certainly not good for overclocking. It would be better for a
Palomino since it's weakest area is the CPU interface.

The Thermalright line that Lane suggested is a pretty good option,
like an SK-7 or better, with a 80x25m fan on top in your preferred
speed-range.

Dave