Phenom II On M2N-E or M3A?

Old January 11th 09, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Peter van der Goes[_2_]

Default Phenom II On M2N-E or M3A?

Both boards socket-compatible, and I have both running Phenoms. Anybody
tried a Phenom II in either board?

Old January 11th 09, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

am2+ boards ok, according to the amd site

Pokeyman

Old January 12th 09, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Skipai Otter[_2_]

"pokey man" wrote in message
am2+ boards ok, according to the amd site

Pokeyman

Aye, just waiting to see if 1701 bios is okay or Asus is going to release
another one for the M3N-HT

--
Skipai

Old January 12th 09, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ken Maltby

"Skipai Otter" wrote in message

"pokey man" wrote in message
am2+ boards ok, according to the amd site

Pokeyman

Aye, just waiting to see if 1701 bios is okay or Asus is going to release
another one for the M3N-HT

--
Skipai

I am wondering how the Phenom II will handle 1066 DDR2
on my M3A32-MVP? Maybe 8GB of Corsair Dominator
PC 8500 (4x2GB sticks) at 1066? Or maybe some 4GB
sticks for over 8GB?

Luck;
Ken

Old January 12th 09, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&m odelmenu=1

is the only amd mobo for phenom II processors right now on amd's site

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._15920,00.html

besides, though backwards compatable, they are made for 1333mhz memory

pokeyman

Old January 12th 09, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

pokey man wrote:
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&m odelmenu=1

is the only amd mobo for phenom II processors right now on amd's site

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._15920,00.html

besides, though backwards compatable, they are made for 1333mhz memory

pokeyman

Things sure are a mess right now. Looks like a wave of DDR3 product
is waiting to be released. Judging by the spec sheet for this
board, this one looks like AM2+ socket with DDR3 slots (because it
says it takes AM2/AM2+/AM3 processors - I expect the AM2 claim is
a mistake, and for AM2+ maybe just the 920/940 might apply). And
looking at the AMD 31116 document, it is possible the DDR3-1333 speed,
is with two sticks installed (see Table 17 and 18 of 31116). It could
well fall back when four sticks are installed. That might be why the
DDR3-1333 speed in the Asrock specs, is highlighted in red.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10928/...28m/index.html

Spec sheet (in the form of an Excel spreadsheet)

http://images.tweaktown.com/imageban..._M3A790GXH.xls

There is a partial roadmap here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenom_II#Phenom_II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM3

So there are plenty of choices to make, and plenty of
technical details for the motherboard makers to have to
support in a short period of time. If they're working on
a new wave of boards, that might dampen their
enthusiasm for updating a lot of older BIOSes
immediately. They'd have a lot on their plates.

Paul
Old January 12th 09, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

"Paul" wrote in message
pokey man wrote:

[...]

there is/are bios upgrades available for the boards reccmmeded on the amd
site. myself I am getting the foxconn A79A-S and 2 4870's. it has the
790fx and 750 combo and 2 100/1000 eithernet plugs. im building a rack
mount system w 3 phenom II 940's and 30 Tera.drive system... ought to be a
hell of a multimedia system

Pokeyman

Old January 13th 09, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Zootal

there is/are bios upgrades available for the boards reccmmeded on the amd
site. myself I am getting the foxconn A79A-S and 2 4870's. it has the
790fx and 750 combo and 2 100/1000 eithernet plugs. im building a rack
mount system w 3 phenom II 940's and 30 Tera.drive system... ought to be
hell of a multimedia system

Pokeyman

I have a FoxConn A79A-S with two sticks of 2GB 1066 memory, and it is rock
solid. I could never get my M2A32-MVP to run stably, and after burning up
three of them, switched to the FoxConn board. That was a few months ago, and
so far so good

Old January 13th 09, 01:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ken Maltby

"pokey man" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
pokey man wrote:

[...]

Until April.

I see the current crop of Phenom II, AM2+ compatable, with
DDR2 memory control, as a possible bump up for existing
systems, until the AM3 DDR3 boards become affordable. Then
it will be another enforced upgrade.

I wouldn't be considering a totaly new system until July at the
soonest.

Luck;
Ken

Old January 13th 09, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

"Zootal" wrote in message

there is/are bios upgrades available for the boards reccmmeded on the

amd
site. myself I am getting the foxconn A79A-S and 2 4870's. it has the
790fx and 750 combo and 2 100/1000 eithernet plugs. im building a rack
mount system w 3 phenom II 940's and 30 Tera.drive system... ought to

be
hell of a multimedia system

Pokeyman

I have a FoxConn A79A-S with two sticks of 2GB 1066 memory, and it is rock
solid. I could never get my M2A32-MVP to run stably, and after burning up
three of them, switched to the FoxConn board. That was a few months ago,

and
so far so good

Its the new capicitors... solid design more stable I take it you arent
OCing it. I like the 2 RJ45 jacks. I looked at a lot of boards for this
system and foxconn came out in first place. cant find a foxconn newsgroup
though

Pokeyman