MBoard recommendations

Old October 21st 04, 04:57 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

Default MBoard recommendations

There seems to be someone asking for a motherboard recommendation everyday,
but its my turn today!

I have a Thoroughbred (unlocked) 2400+ (15 x 133), DDR333 RAM and a Zalman
Flower cooler, so overclocking should be possible. My Soltek motherboard
can't go over about 160Mhz as the PCI / AGP frequencies can't be locked, but
the processor can turn right up before needing more volts! Normal speeds and
it can run undervolted from 1.65v to 1.5v, so I have plenty of headroom.

What board would everyone recommend to overclock this setup?? As cheap as
possible please - very limited budget (UK pounds)!!

Old October 21st 04, 06:22 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:57:08 +0000, Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

There seems to be someone asking for a motherboard recommendation everyday,
but its my turn today!

I have a Thoroughbred (unlocked) 2400+ (15 x 133), DDR333 RAM and a Zalman
Flower cooler, so overclocking should be possible. My Soltek motherboard
can't go over about 160Mhz as the PCI / AGP frequencies can't be locked, but
the processor can turn right up before needing more volts! Normal speeds and
it can run undervolted from 1.65v to 1.5v, so I have plenty of headroom.

What board would everyone recommend to overclock this setup?? As cheap as
possible please - very limited budget (UK pounds)!!

As cheap as possible, I'd use the board you have now.:-)

Just raise vcore as needed and change the multiplier to 17 for 2266MHz.
Need a little more, raise the FSB a little. 17x145 for about 2465MHz.
What's the problem? Don't have mutiplier control on your board? Use the
pinmod.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

Old October 21st 04, 06:29 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.10.21.17.21.39.207825@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
[...]

I don't have multiplier control above 12.5 on this board - can only change
the first 4 bits! I didn't have a decent pinmod link now, thanks

What sort of wire should I use - ordinary copper wire OK? Will it take much
load and will it get hot?

Old October 21st 04, 06:30 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

I don't have multiplier control above 12.5 on this board - can only change
the first 4 bits! I didn't have a decent pinmod link now, thanks

I didn't have a decent pinmod link *until* now, thanks!!

Old October 21st 04, 08:55 PM
Rusty

If you really need a new board the Shuttle "AN35N-Ultra" nForce2 Ultra 400
is cheap a good OC board check out newegg.com.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...T=Motherboards
Newegg has this motherboard for $51.00 US you might be able to find it
cheaper in the UK. You might consider some DDR400 RAM if you are wanting to
max out the FSB. From what you have said you might be able to run your
processor at 12 x 200 or 11.5 x 210 on a nForce2 Ultra 400 chip set with
400DDR RAM. You should see a noticeable speed increase at a 200 FSB
compared to 160 FSB. I don't know if the 333DDR RAM will push 400Mhz need
to know what brand and timings are on your current 333DDR. If the ram has a
cas 2.5 or lower there is a good possibility that the ram will push 400Mhz
with relaxed timing cas3 4 4 11 and a slight voltage increase 2.7 to 2.8.
If the 333DDR RAM is at cas3 it most likely will not push the 400Mhz
frequency.

news

Old October 21st 04, 11:15 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:29:58 +0000, Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

You only need four bits of control up to 24x multiplier since the 5th bit
is already high on the 2400+, so if your board supports multiplier
changes, you don't need the pinmod. See Multiplier Cross Ref. in link
below.

What sort of wire should I use - ordinary copper wire OK?

As small as possible, but you shouldn't need it. i used strands out of
ribbon cable.

Will it take much load and will it get hot?

If you raise vcore and speed, it will get hotter, but as long as you have
a decent cpu cooler (and the stock one is not), you shouldn't have a
problem. Raising vcore is the major heat increase, not the clockspeed.

FYI, set the 4bit mutipliers to a value of 9x and you should get a 17x
multiplier as long as the CPU isn't locked.

Old October 22nd 04, 10:43 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

newsan.2004.10.21.22.16.05.55019@TAKEOUTverizon. net...

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the info Wes. Unfortunately my board has a little dip switch
setting for the multiplier. There are 5 switches, but the 5th one switches
between manual and auto configuration. So with the 5th multiplier set 'high'
the multiplier is auto (15x) and with the 5th bit set 'low' the multiplier
is manual and leaves only 4 switches to 'play' with (multipliers from 5.5 to
12.5), but the pinmod thing should work. I'll go for FSB around 140 and just
play with the multiplier and see what I get. If the performance increase is
not much, then I will turn things back down again - I like the extremely
quiet PC I have now - all I hear is just the occasional hard disk rattle!

Old October 22nd 04, 06:10 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:43:43 +0000, Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

You're missing the point. Set the one switch to manual, then set the other
4 to a 9x multiplier. Should give you a 17x multiplier since you don't
have a 5th multiplier switch, but it's already set high on the cpu. It's
set high on all cpu's with a default multiplier of 13 or higher. This is
exactly how I control the multiplier on the board below. It doesn't have
switches, but the bios was limited to 12.5x too. So setting the bios
multiplier to 10.5 resulted in a 24x multiplier.The multiplier cross ref.
in the link below gives you all the values the multiplier will be when
your board only supports 4 bits, like yours and mine, and everyone elses
that only have 4 bit control. Another way would be to leave your set to
auto, lock the cpu by cutting the L1 bridges, and then mod the L3 bridges
to 17x or whatever.

Old October 25th 04, 10:12 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

You're missing the point. Set the one switch to manual, then set the other
4 to a 9x multiplier. Should give you a 17x multiplier since you don't
have a 5th multiplier switch, but it's already set high on the cpu. It's
set high on all cpu's with a default multiplier of 13 or higher. This is
exactly how I control the multiplier on the board below. It doesn't have
switches, but the bios was limited to 12.5x too. So setting the bios
multiplier to 10.5 resulted in a 24x multiplier.The multiplier cross ref.
in the link below gives you all the values the multiplier will be when
your board only supports 4 bits, like yours and mine, and everyone elses
that only have 4 bit control. Another way would be to leave your set to
auto, lock the cpu by cutting the L1 bridges, and then mod the L3 bridges
to 17x or whatever.

I tried setting the multiplier by the dip switches, but it gives exactly the
multiplier I select! If I choose 12x it runs at 12x and I can't set it
higher than 12.5. I have read through your link, but I guess my board must
just work differently.

Incidentally, why do you use 24x100 and not 18x133 or 14.5x166 ??

Old October 25th 04, 06:20 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:12:08 +0000, Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

I tried setting the multiplier by the dip switches, but it gives exactly the
multiplier I select! If I choose 12x it runs at 12x and I can't set it
higher than 12.5. I have read through your link, but I guess my board must
just work differently.

What does it run at if you set 9x100? It's virtually impossible to run a
cpu with a 13 or higher default multiplier under 13x with a board that
only has four control bits. That's why the Tbred A 2200+ failed to boot in
all the MB's with multiplier control when it first came out. Maybe your MB
actually has a connection to AJ27 and pulls it low, thus disabling the 5th
multiplier bit when not in auto mode. once you find out what it's doing it
should be easy to correct., or just leave it on auto and use the pinmod.
or just change the default on the cpu itself. Or just raise the FSB.
there's always more than one way to do it.

Incidentally, why do you use 24x100 and not 18x133 or 14.5x166 ??

Because the board (KT133 chipset) won't support a 133Mhz FSB, much less
166. And it has a default multiplier of 13 (2100+) which boots with a 20x
multiplier from a cleared CMOS. Actually 12.5, which translates to 20x
with the 5th multiplier bit high.

UPS recommendations? Max General 7 September 10th 04 11:14 AM
Any feedback on Biostar M7NCD MB; other system recommendations? enigma General 1 September 10th 03 03:31 PM
CPU Failure?? - using a K7T266 Pro2-U M'board Scooter9999 Homebuilt PC's 3 August 27th 03 06:07 AM
CPU Failure?? - using a K7T266 Pro2-U M'board Scooter9999 General 2 August 24th 03 02:44 PM
pc system recommendations David Lewis Homebuilt PC's 12 July 15th 03 09:30 PM