Phenom and SLI support

Old April 8th 08, 03:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rick Savoie

Default Phenom and SLI support

Hi all:

I have a system I built based on an M3N32 SLI Deluxe. I wont go
into details how all this happened, but I was using the computer fine with a
single video card for 6 months before it all went to hell. I now have a
Phenom 9600, 2ea ASUS 8800 GTS 512MB, 4GB OCZ Platinum and a 1010w PS. I've
had nothing but a bunch of parts for 3 months because the mainboard will not
work... here's the abbreviated story...

1) Added the Phenom with upgraded BIOS and got everything working fine.
2) Added the second video card, and the system performed like a slide show
in SLI mode (tried everything).
3) On ASUS tech advice, returned mainboard to ASUS (they replaced it).
4) New board (number 2) would not post properly, to be specific;
a. With BIOS 1503 it would start for 4 secs and then shut down,
b. With BIOS 1603 it would not post at all (just all fans and power
on, but no post),
c. With either BIOS I could clear the CMOS (battery and pin) then it
would start up but...
- it was unstable,
- if I tried to change settings in the BIOS it would usually
freeze,
- if I shut the system off, I had to start all over again.
5) On ASUS tech advice, returned mainboard to ASUS (they replaced it).
6) New board (number 3) will power up but will not post. I've tried
everything and cannot get it to post, unfortunately I cannot even get into
the BIOS to try and reload or replace it. Clearing the CMOS RTC has no
effect. In all these cases I do not get any post beep error codes. It's
basically the same as starting up a board without a CPU and memory
installed.

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to resolve this. At $18 a pop I don't want
to keep exchanging boards with ASUS.

Thank, Rick

Old April 9th 08, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
BigJim

the way I see it if the board won't post it could be a memory compatibility
problem.
Try a different cpu to see if you can get post. Try different memory, I did
see a phenom
running with a single 8800 using a msi board. If you're on your third board
something is definitely wrong.

Old April 9th 08, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
F. Edwin Felty

BigJim wrote:
[...]

I looked on the ASUS site and there is no listing for the motherboard you
list (M3N32 SLI Deluxe). There was an Anandtech article posted in another
newsgroup about ASUS boards with the 780G chipset do not have enough power
to run a CPU needing more than 95W power. When they swapped out the CPU for
a 125W quad core, the boards burned out in seconds. Could this be the prob??

Eddie in Loveland

"For a REAL sponge cake, BORROW all the ingredients."

Old April 10th 08, 03:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rick Savoie

Fixed that typo down there, my MB is an M2N32 of course... thanks for the

(probably a Freudian slip)

"Rick Savoie" wrote in message
Hi all:

I have a system I built based on an M2N32 SLI Deluxe. I wont go