Motherboard upgrade

Old January 20th 06, 10:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Motherboard upgrade

Hi,
I have to do a motherboard and processor upgrade for someone, the
machine is a 2.4g pentium based one at the moment running xp. I'm
putting in an athlon 3200 and abit mbo, will I get away without
reinstalling xp when the machine boots up ? Will it detect the new
hardware and load the required drivers. I really don't want to get into
a new install of xp if I can help it.
thanks for any replies.
Old January 20th 06, 11:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Simon wrote:
Hi,
I have to do a motherboard and processor upgrade for someone, the
machine is a 2.4g pentium based one at the moment running xp. I'm
putting in an athlon 3200 and abit mbo, will I get away without
reinstalling xp when the machine boots up ?

No, but you may be able to get away with doing a repair install. This is
not the repair console: go through like you're going to do a clean
install and it'll prompt you when it finds the other
installation...before partitioning/formatting.

Will it detect the new
hardware and load the required drivers.

It probably won't even boot. Boot from the cdrom and do the repair
install. Oh, and back up all the data first.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old January 20th 06, 11:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Simon wrote:
Hi,
I have to do a motherboard and processor upgrade for someone, the
machine is a 2.4g pentium based one at the moment running xp. I'm
putting in an athlon 3200 and abit mbo, will I get away without
reinstalling xp when the machine boots up ?

possibly, but i would never suggest it. there is no better time to make
a new install of windows than on majot hardware changes.

Will it detect the new
hardware and load the required drivers.

ive seen it doing so on a athlon 800Mhz when it was installed on a k6-2
233mhz before (i did it for curiosity). its possible in theory, but i
think the resulting system is more likely not very stable (i dumped it
right afterwards ive seen that it booted)

my suggestion:
it will save you time making a fresh install and gives you/your friend
the joy of a fast, clean, stable windows.

just take care for any important data before and put them on another
drive/partition.
Old January 20th 06, 11:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

adsci wrote:

ive seen it doing so on a athlon 800Mhz when it was installed on a k6-2
233mhz before (i did it for curiosity). its possible in theory, but i
think the resulting system is more likely not very stable (i dumped it
right afterwards ive seen that it booted)

note: this was win98. but i think winxp can do that too.
Old January 20th 06, 12:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Simon wrote:
Hi,
I have to do a motherboard and processor upgrade for someone, the machine
is a 2.4g pentium based one at the moment running xp. I'm putting in an
athlon 3200 and abit mbo, will I get away without reinstalling xp when
the machine boots up ?

No, but you may be able to get away with doing a repair install. This is
not the repair console: go through like you're going to do a clean install
and it'll prompt you when it finds the other installation...before
partitioning/formatting.

Will it detect the new hardware and load the required drivers.

It probably won't even boot. Boot from the cdrom and do the repair
install. Oh, and back up all the data first.

I really don't want to get into a new install of xp if I can help it.
thanks for any replies.

I'd like to add that when I did my (unscheduled) MB replacement and repair
install of XP I was left with a number of phantom devices and redundant
drivers that caused a number of weird, nuicance issues for months before I
finnally gave up and clean installed XP. I would suggest removing all of the
PCI devices (first from the OS, then from the box) that you can, and roll
the video driver back to standard VGA and remove it's drivers before you
replace the mainboard. I don't think you need to touch the drives, they play
nice with the changeover. Then replace the board, then repair install XP,
then reinstall the devices. That may avoid 90% of the issues. I've never
done it, but it seems to me that it might help. Maybe others will comment on
this.

Old January 20th 06, 12:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Simon wrote:
[...]

I would normally say do a clean install, but last week I swapped out an Asus
a7n8x (nvidia chipset) for an Asus a8v Deluxe. All we ended up doing was
replacing the drivers.

SteveH

Old January 20th 06, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Simon wrote:

[...]

Thanks all, thought the repair option might be worth a go, good idea on
the removal of all the other bits first though, and I'll take a backup
of the drives before I start. Bit of a nightmare this will be and the
margin on this job hardly made it worthwhile, but hey ho a satisfied
customer is always nice.
cheers simon
Old January 20th 06, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Simon wrote:
[...]

The way I generally do it is to remove all HDD controllers, lan, sound and
any other devices that may cause a problem in Device Manager then just shut
down and install the new board before the repair install. Basically, I
remove any devices that are "on-board" the old MB including chipset. So you
don't really have to 'physically' remove items, just remove them from the
Device Manager without restarting until the repair install. Works for me.
Don't forget to 'f6' for raid/sata drivers.

Ed

Old January 20th 06, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , Simon says...
Hi,
I have to do a motherboard and processor upgrade for someone, the
machine is a 2.4g pentium based one at the moment running xp. I'm
putting in an athlon 3200 and abit mbo, will I get away without
reinstalling xp when the machine boots up ? Will it detect the new
hardware and load the required drivers. I really don't want to get into
a new install of xp if I can help it.
thanks for any replies.

It's a completely hit and miss affair. Sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't. IME there's been no hard and fast rule.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Old January 21st 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Whenever you install a new motherboard in a computer that had Windows loaded
on the harddrive, then after you install the new motherboard you MUST
reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of Windows. Otherwise you can
look forward to Registry errors and data corruption on-going.

--
DaveW