Radeon 9500 64mb

Old February 11th 04, 05:34 PM
Kai Robinson

Default Radeon 9500 64mb

Right - trying to upgrade from my GeForce 3 Ti200 which keeps dying, but
coming back to life on me. Served its time well - but in Unreal II - its
really bogged down even when overclocked.

Thing is though - i want a 9500 now.

Theres a 64mb and 128mb non-pro, and the 128mb pro. I've foolishly bid on a
64mb non-pro thinking it was the 128mb version, and i dont know if my bid
will be cancelled.

1) Benchmarks show this to be slower than a GeForce 4 Ti4200-64mb - is this
a really ****e card in that case?
2) Will i notice the decrease in 64mb of memory over my GeForce 3 Ti200?
3) Will this actually be any faster than the card i already have?

Help!

Kai

Old February 11th 04, 06:43 PM
Asestar

Your geforce3 had 128 mb?
I thought of 9500 as equal to ti4200, don't know what benchmark you saw.

Old February 11th 04, 07:02 PM
Kai Robinson

Yep - ABit Siluro GF3 Ti200 DVI 128mb

The Card i've seemingly won, (as the seller is being retarded over
cancelling my bid) is a Rev. A 9500 64mb - i know i can open up the extra
pipelines - but doesnt the tiny amount of onboard memory make a difference?

Cheers.

Kai

Old February 11th 04, 09:14 PM
Asestar

Hmm I remember your Gf3 was having odd green checkboard paterns on overlays,
right?
Anyway, I don't think 64mb vram would be THAT big of a problem, once you
manage to softmod it. However it depends much on rest of your system, cpu
and ram.

Old February 11th 04, 09:27 PM
Kai Robinson

Yeah - thats the card! It came back to life (as explained next door in the
nvidia group) after a bios flash etc.

I know i can unlock all the pipelines - but 64mb is so....2001 :P

System specs a

Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1578Mhz (150Mhz FSB)
256mb Kingston PC2700 @ 300Mhz CAS2
MSI KT3 Ultra2 Motherboard.

Apart from the drives - thats about it.

Currently managing to squeeze just over 8000 3dmarks out of it overclocked
(3dmark2001se)

Old February 11th 04, 10:51 PM
Darthy

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:34:29 +0100, "Kai Robinson"
wrote:

Right - trying to upgrade from my GeForce 3 Ti200 which keeps dying, but
coming back to life on me. Served its time well - but in Unreal II - its
really bogged down even when overclocked.

Thing is though - i want a 9500 now.

Theres a 64mb and 128mb non-pro, and the 128mb pro. I've foolishly bid on a
64mb non-pro thinking it was the 128mb version, and i dont know if my bid
will be cancelled.

1) Benchmarks show this to be slower than a GeForce 4 Ti4200-64mb - is this
a really ****e card in that case?

The 9500Pro is a LOT faster than the Ti4200... but a 9500-64mb maybe
an slow varient.

2) Will i notice the decrease in 64mb of memory over my GeForce 3 Ti200?

doubt it, since it maybe a reduced speed card... not much difference
between 64128mb cards - especially on the low end.

3) Will this actually be any faster than the card i already have?

It should be... Hope it was cheap. Ebay is the LAST place I look to
buy something...

9600s are $130~150. 9800Pros are hitting below $250.

Unreal 2004 is coming out soon!!

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/february04/ut2004pc/

Screen shots (change the ## at the end to see 01~17 images)
http://www.gamespy.com/asp/image.asp...t2004pc/01.jpg

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 11th 04, 11:58 PM
Asestar

Your system is a lot better than mine. But it is not that fast that you
would stress those 64mb ram of 9500. It is very fast card, compared to
ti4200, but missing 64mbs makes it just slightly faster than ti4200. You'd
see huge difference over gf3 card.
BTW: my advice is to get another 256mb ram, alongside the 9500pro. That DOES
increase system speed.

Using Cat4.1, Mysystem (duron1,3@200MHzddr , 512PC133, r8500le(250/250)64mb,
Abit kt7a, Dx9.0b) is getting 6500+ at 3dmark2001se. Not as bad considering
those pesky SD rams and 200MHz bus. I might overclock the crap out of this
Duron by next two-three days...

Old February 12th 04, 02:12 AM
ko123

Yeah, that card is ****, try to get out of that bid, the memory of a card is
crucial. Right now most games recommend 128, you'll get a very large
performance boost.

Old February 12th 04, 02:37 AM
Dark Avenger

"Kai Robinson" wrote in message ...
Right - trying to upgrade from my GeForce 3 Ti200 which keeps dying, but
coming back to life on me. Served its time well - but in Unreal II - its
really bogged down even when overclocked.

Thing is though - i want a 9500 now.

Theres a 64mb and 128mb non-pro, and the 128mb pro. I've foolishly bid on a
64mb non-pro thinking it was the 128mb version, and i dont know if my bid
will be cancelled.

1) Benchmarks show this to be slower than a GeForce 4 Ti4200-64mb - is this
a really ****e card in that case?
2) Will i notice the decrease in 64mb of memory over my GeForce 3 Ti200?
3) Will this actually be any faster than the card i already have?

Help!

Kai

I self on a 9500 Pro 128mb, with 8 pipelines you have a dragracer...
with 4. Well it should still perform pretty good! And in games will
act nice enough! And 64mb versus 128Mb... well.. you can game on 64Mb
:-)
Old February 12th 04, 03:06 AM
Kai Robinson

Well i'll have to enable the extra 4 pipelines and sell it on asap along
with the GF3 - i won the auction. the seller was retarded and refused to
cancel the bid and pass it onto the other bidders.

*******.

Still - it'll be faster than the 3Ti200

Kai

om...