Half Life Issues??

Old December 1st 03, 07:54 AM
LeeB18509

Default Half Life Issues??

"JRS" wrote in message
Just re-installed the old Half Life game, updated to the latest patch,
1.1.1.0, and it won't run on my system with an ATI 9800 Pro, and the
latest Cat 3.9 drives, I just get a black screen unless I force it to run
in windowed mode....

Anybody know what the issue is? Is Half Life so old it's starting up in
640x480 mode, which XP doesn't support? I think SErious Sam or Serious
Sam 2 has this same issue, and the fix was to edit the startup file to run
in 800x600 or some such?

Any ideas?

Brand new install of XP Pro, with all the updates, ATI 9800 Pro with Cat
3.9's.

Thanx

JRS
Please remove **X** to reply...

--Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most--

Same problem OpenGL and Direct3d?

Old December 1st 03, 09:47 AM
Mark

You using OpenGL or Direct3D? OpenGL is b0rked, get the atioglxx.dll from
the CAT 3.7's and drop it in the same folder as hl.exe, or try omega's ATI
driver. www.omegacorner.com

Old December 1st 03, 03:23 PM
Glzmo

"JRS" wrote in message
I actually tried forcing both, with "-d3d" at the end of the command line,
and without it for OpenGL. Can hear the game running both ways, but just
a complete black screen I have to ALt/tab out of to shut it down.

When I force the game to windowed mode with "-win", it runs fine, but of
course is only windowed. If I change the settings while in the game
configuration to the right display, say 1280x1024, then click full screen,
it goes to a black screen again.....

Weird. Spent 3 hours searching Google last nite, can't find the issue.

I wonder if I need to de-install 3.9 and go back to the 3.7's? This was a
fresh XP install, so I went straight to the newest drivers, Cat 3.9's.

Anyway, thanx for the tips, will try that stuff.....

You using OpenGL or Direct3D? OpenGL is b0rked, get the atioglxx.dll

from
the CAT 3.7's and drop it in the same folder as hl.exe, or try omega's

ATI
driver. www.omegacorner.com

JRS
Please remove **X** to reply...

--Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most--

Maybe the game sets the refresh rate too high for your monitor to display?

Old December 6th 03, 04:23 AM
LeeB18509

Did you get it fixed? You can change that in the config file before you
fire it up.

"JRS" wrote in message
Well, found out the game was starting up in 640x480 mode for the beginning
movie, and my LCD display doesn't support it, or the video card is not
scaling it or something. Myst 3 is doing the same thing, and I found a
forum that mentioned the 640x480 problem...